Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a quick DIY for scarecrow masks as I couldn't find anything out there! If there's a tutorial for scarecrow masks out there please link so we can have more info

1. use a plastic drama/face mask. Optional: cover the inside with burlap.
2. build up a liner for the head strip by strip that attaches to the mask.
3. layer additional burlap to your design.
4. paint.

Now a couple of tricks I've come across or had to figure out myself:

completely soak the burlap for a few minutes then remove excess water. Use the wet burlap and drape it over an armature and twist, prod, push it into a shape you want. When it's dry it'll keep it's shape.

Cover the eye holes with burlap or creepy cloth then remove some of the strands. This will allow you to see out but make it hard for people to see in.

- Perma wet works well to adding depth to areas of the mask
- Perma blood works well
- Use translucent paints or paint washes
- Use non toxic adhesives if it's going to be worn
- An Ed-Head armature bust is very handy to have
- An awl is handy to punch holes through the mask for stitches
- Use a painters head mask if the burlap is itchy
- Make sure the burlap has no added chemicals. (fabric grade vs. industrial/landscape grade)
- You can stretch and squeeze burlap so you can cover a bumpy surface without wrinkles

For the final distressing and painting, I've always kept one word in mind for all my props. LAYER! Build up layers of colors over your finished product to add depth and realism to the prop. For example, darken the low spots and folds with darker paints, add layers of colors to those areas and other areas of the prop to compliment the design.

20150627_102857.jpg 20150627_110620.jpg
6-1-2015 (1).jpg 6-1-2015 (2).jpg 6-1-2015 (4).jpg
20150627_113125.jpg 20150627_113158.jpg c23677roafsdfped - small.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
This is exactly the look I am going for, but I have some questions. How do you get the burlap to stick together to make the mask, spray adhesive, hot glue? Also, how did you make the hat? Same way as burlap over the drama mask?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Wow! that is an amazing piece of work. As I scrolled down I expected to see that you were part of the grim stitch factory staff. I think that is the most realistic teeth/dental plate I have seen in a mask.

I have been doing heads for scarecrows for this year and I bow to your greatness.
Ellie

·
Registered
139 Posts
I found this cutie today.

u2aW9dMm.jpg

Balaclavas are great to wear underneath.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I answered your questions in the facebook post Joven76 but wanted to add it here to for the forums:

1. The glue I use is a fabric adhesive we had in our closet, not sure of the brand as it's old but any non-toxic adhesive will work including hot glue. I think there is something called E9000 fabric spray glue that is similar
2. No release agent needed from the armature, there should be no glue on the inside of the burlap in contact with the armature. I make a long slit with a utility knife along the back neck to the head that allows for removing from the armature
3. The hat? Super easy. Go to goodwill and for 1.99 you can get any kind of hat then cover it with burlap using the wetting method then use Super 77 adhesive to glue the burlap to the hat. The hat I used was a small womens hat (bet you didn't realize that!...lol) that I cut a slit in the back to expand it.

Thanks Ellie13, that's high praise indeed to be compared to Grim Stitch! I do believe I'll stay humble and say that I think I have a LONG way to go before I reach his level of master craftsmanship, he puts out some very inspirational stuff.

Kyriotes, those balaclava's are great. I used those in my first two masks as the burlap can get a little itchy. The third mask (the one in the picture where I'm wearing the mask) I used soft felt for the first layer instead of just burlap over the armature so when I took it off it had a nice soft felt shell between me and the burlap. Worked out very well. I have something called linen burlap which is very soft too and looks exactly like burlap BUT it's pricey at $7 for making the liner vs $1 for the felt.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh my freakin gosh, your scarecrow mask is beyond amazing! I'm planning my first prop build and thanks to you I have a great jumping off point for the head. Thanks so much for sharing!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Nicely done. It looks like it lays pretty good on you. I had picked up a scarecrow costume after Halloween last year, and it came with a burlap mask. The problem is it doesn't fit for anything. And it's pretty much set in its shape. Like the creep factor on yours.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My burlap will not hold wrinkles at all (nor adhere to the form), no matter how much I soak it. So either I got non-fabric grade or I'm doing something else wrong. IMG_20150923_191837 (1).jpg

·
Registered
169 Posts
Are you using burlap that you'd buy at hobby lobby or similar fabric stores? I'm curious if a burlap bag purchased from a tractor supply co, would work? Love your work - something to be proud of. Also, thanks for sharing your method!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fantastic! You could easily sell this for hundreds of dollars. I'm dressing as a scarecrow this year and would love to try this. Unfortunately, it seems like you're missing a lot of the beginning of the tutorial; you jump from the basic setup to the finished product. The devil is in the details and you clearly have artistic skills that the average person can't emulate without additional details.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just found this thread, I'm working on my first mask and was wondering if plain white glue would be bad? It dries transparent.

Also, what is the ideal paint to use on this? any tips on applying it? I can use all the help I can get!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for this post. Amazing looking mask!

Last year I tried to do something similar by using the Grim Stitch Factory masks as a goal and YouTube vids as a guide.
I started making a scarecrow mask and it ended up looking more like a demon haha.
Oh well...this year I'll start earlier and take my time, because I'd like to end up with something like the GSF Field Creeper or Voodoo Scarecrow and those will not be easy with all those folds (which I love btw).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts