Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Larry - you're killing me I had the entire thing done and got booted - Lost all of part two - so here we go again...

G here he is with his game face laid down - work in small areas buliding it up with small amounts of newspaper and duct tape. This is when you can set up the lumps and bumps that wil give your JOL personality.

H AT this point I added a stem - formed from chicken wire and wired to the cauldron for extra stability

I Now you are ready to coat the JOL with latex and newspaper. I used indoor/outdoor carpet latex - waterproof when cured (48 hours). I wore gloves and just smeared it on, then smeared it on the newspaper and stuck it on. (No brushes were used in this step) work in small areas and keep going until he is entirely covered - go ahead and give two coat if you want. You can now make the features more. I gave him mean eyebrows.

With that cleft chin he reminds me of Kirk Douglas

J - Now is the time for a base coat of exterior latex - I have a gallon of dark green that I use. I did use a brush for this step ( but it was cleaned and returned to the wild unharmed)

K The first color s not so important but letsyou figure out what you are doing. Others are way better painters than I am. I basically finger paint using acrylic paints.

L Now just keep building it up. and messing with the colors until you are satisfied with it. Remember in the dark perfection is not needed...

M Time to set up the frame for this fellow. As I said I am using 1" PVC. I bent the arms and the neck by heating the PVC with a heat gun then bending to the desired angle. Dousing with cold water set the angle just fine. I used a simple 4 way connector for the body, arms and neck. BTW that is a 6' ladder

N - Added the head and the arms - this guy is really top heavy. For these pics I used guide wires. I also put a piece of steel conduit in the "body" to add rigidity. I also thought about a 5 gallon bucked filled with quickcrete as a base but am bot sure that is secure enough. Any suggestions?

O Semi finished - put some "clothes" on him. Mrs Daveo1101 in shot for scale. Still need to paint al pvc black. Yes he does have a rib cage - some vines twisted into circles and secured with florist wire ( like a wreath). Still need to work out lighting and final presentation and I'll post the final product. It'll a be a little while but you guys get the idea....

·
Registered
354 Posts
Daveo,

First of all, I want to tell you that your scarecrow looks great!

My question for you is, how did you attach the head to the pvc pole? I created the head for my JOL scarecrow, but never put much thought about how to attach the head to the pole until now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts