Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have kids in college or loved ones in the military or just make up packages for someone far away? Please share them here!

My oldest DD is in Chapel Hill this year and this was her most recent package. All of them aren't 'scary' per say .. But she can always expect a surprise in each one. Lol I have a whole package of fake cockroaches that will go into the next one, which will be home baked goods.:cool: That will probably freak her friends out, but make her laugh since all my kids have got random fake cockroaches in home packed lunches ever since they were little. Lol

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
I used to be a Postmaster Relief at our local post office and there was one boy who was probably 10 or 11 at the time who'd get packages from his grandparents at least once a month. He'd tear into it as soon as I handed it to him and show me the goodies. There were always bugs, worms, books, candy and usually a t-shirt or hat, but his Halloween box was always huge and filled full of goodies that would make any kid squeal with delight! :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
I love this idea. I know someone who runs a non-profit that sends care packages to deployed military. I'm going to suggest this to him

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've sent several care/goodie packages to Iraq/Afghanistan servicemen and women via the AnySoldier program. Anysoldier.com. It's reputable; I've rec'd several nice thank you notes. Never thought about a specifically themed package, like Halloween, but I think these guys and gals are appreciative of anything to show they are not forgotten.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've sent several care/goodie packages to Iraq/Afghanistan servicemen and women via the AnySoldier program. Anysoldier.com. It's reputable; I've rec'd several nice thank you notes. Never thought about a specifically themed package, like Halloween, but I think these guys and gals are appreciative of anything to show they are not forgotten.
My spouse and I met while we were both in the military. His last deployment had him gone over Halloween. I sent a care package that had Halloween items. There were a few dollar store decorations, some small Halloween themed toys, and treats. He, like most service members, shared anything that he got from home. He said that the toys were probably the most popular items and that the decorations got left up after Halloween was over.
Anything received on deployment is appreciated. The Girl Scouts have a program that you can buy an extra box of cookies when you order your own. The cookies are sent through the USO and go to veterans homes and deployed locations. I've never used anysoldier.com, but I've heard good things about it and it is one of the reputable ones.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oldest DD's latest care package to college. It start all Fall'ish' with the complete ingredients that she and her friends need to make a nice comfort food meal. They try and cook together once a week. I pre measured everything for them, labeled the bags and wrote up directions on recipe cards for what bags go with what part of the meal and how to combine them... Menu : pumpkin curry soup, cornbread and homemade apple pie. I even sent pretty fall themed paper products to serve on and pie plates, can opener and whisk.

Then next flap opened and it all goes to heck ? she finds she has friends that showed up with the meal and they are thrilled to have hit the college life and want to help. All chattering at once and waving their little legs in the air. Ever since they were little kids I would randomly, here and there include a plastic cockroach with someone's home packed lunch. Just a little extra love from mom .. well She just got a whole box of love from home!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts