Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know that feeling you get when you find a site that has a great tutorial on making something you’ve wanted to do for ages? You get all excited and you bookmark the site, promising to return to it one day. Sometime later, you return only to find the site is no longer there. Or sadly, as in the case of many of the posts here that used Photobucket to post pictures, you find the text is all there, but the photos necessary to create the prop are gone.

The Net is a fickle place and a once promised safe haven, often disappears. Places I loved and bookmarked are now useless because of changes in the site, or links that are simply no longer there. There are times when I’d pull out my hair if I had any. There’s a great work around that I’m sure many of you have discovered, but for those who haven’t found it, here it is. Do a full copy and paste of the site and turn it into a pdf file that you keep on your computer, USB stick, or on your personal cloud storage.

It’s really simple as long as you have a word processing program like Word, or for those on a budget, the free Libre Office. I apologize that Mac users will have to figure some of this out on their own. This is primarily a Windows based approach. The examples below of what a page on the PDF files looks like are from a wonderful post by JW Halloween on swamp lamps. You can find the post at https://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/201303-variation-swamp-lantern.html

Once you’ve found something you want to save, open up your word processing program. The two examples I show are first Word and then Libre Office. Frankly, I like the look of the free Libre Office version myself. The key is to use whatever you have. Once the processing program is open, create a new project. For Word, it’s a new blank document in the portrait format. For Libre Office, it’s a new text document.

Next, go to the webpage and using your mouse, left click and hold it as you scroll through the entire article, pictures and all. Then click Control C, to copy. You can right click and choose copy.

word01.jpg

Click on the processing program and do a Control V, or right click and choose paste. If all goes according to plan, you’ll see the entire webpage you were looking at, including text and pictures. It may not look exactly the same. But the text and pictures will be there. For Word, you then click Save As, and choose the PDF or XPS option. For Libre Office, you click on File, then Export As, and choose PDF. And now you have a nice, easily accessible version of what you want without having to worry that somewhere down the line you’ll click on the link and it will be gone.

Image2.jpg

Can you still lose it? Sure. Hard drives fail, Cloud storage is only as good as the company backing it, and some of them have already disappeared. A nice little USB stick similar to the one I put the pages on can go wonky without warning. But for every site I really want to see in the future, I save a PDF file as a back up to the bookmarks.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,011 Posts
That's wonderful! Definitely a public service that is greatly needed.

Mac users should have it easy too. For me, I just hit print in the web browser, and then select "save as PDF" and it makes the whole page a lovely easily read file including all the photos. If there are multiple pages, I just do the same for each page and then merge the individual pdfs into one but there likely is another workaround that is better I just don't know about, but it's not that terrible if you have pdf capabilities at all.

And people - do this if there is something you really love/admire or want to make someday and haven't managed to get around to yet.. we're losing long-estabilshed sites by the handfuls over the last 5-10 years and it's terrible to remember something after it's already gone and too late to recover. The WayBack Machine is only so good and counting on sites to be around forever (with their images intact) is starting to look very grim.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's wonderful! Definitely a public service that is greatly needed.

Mac users should have it easy too. For me, I just hit print in the web browser, and then select "save as PDF" and it makes the whole page a lovely easily read file including all the photos.

And people - do this if there is something you really love/admire or want to make someday and haven't managed to get around to yet.. we're losing long-estabilshed sites by the handfuls over the last 5-10 years and it's terrible to remember something after it's already gone and too late to recover. The WayBack Machine is only so good and counting on sites to be around forever (with their images intact) is starting to look very grim.
Thanks for your post, Frankie's Girl. I have done my approach for so long, I didn't even notice that somewhere along the line they added a "save as PDF" option on the right click options for almost every website, including this one. That's much easier than my approach and as you said, it saves the entire page, pictures and all.

One of the things I like about this site is people are always wandering off and discovering new things, so even if we repeat something old and worn out, there will be those responding to a post saying, "Have you tried this?" I absolutely love that. Thanks so much for the heads up. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts