Halloween Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an old direct tv satellite dish I took down. Been trying to think of things to use it for, all i can really come up with is painting it maybe a large clown face or something.
But I really dont have any clowns in my haunt and am looking for any other ideas on what I could do with it?
Any ideas? I would hate to just throw it out, there has got to be a use for it.
Thanks

·
Funeral Crasher
7,452 Posts
I've got one too, but never figured a use for it (yet).

I've seen a Christmas prop where someone animated it and made a Santa tracker out of it.
Maybe paint it Halloween colors and make it a "Witch Tracker". LOL
Or Air Traffic Control for Witches? Hmmm.....maybe I should do that! :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow guys. Some really great ideas here.
Getting the juices flowing, a lot of things I am thinking about now. I could paint and use it easily in the black light room...
Thanks

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I was given a very large old satellite dish. I cut it in half,put the two haves together,made the UFO,covered it with aluminum foil using aerosol spray glue.
I made a custom topper for the craft bending 1/2 steel conduit,covering it with sheet metal and Bondo and using some bright work from a cheap repro antique brass bed.
I was given a long,thin piece of very rigid steel ,it's the scraper blade from a bulldozer bucket!
This is the arm that lifts the craft up and down. It is like 1/2 wide by 4inches tall by 16 feet long? I made use of the holes already in this piece of steel since no drill bit that I could buy would make such a hole-too tough of steel!)
I hid a small air compressor under the hood of my wrecked car. When it kicks on, I say:"What? The engine started up after all of these years?"
then the UFO comes up from behind a low (but solid) fence,showing itself!
"Oh,that's why my car started up,it's a UFO!"
I counter-balanced the big arm with more scrap metal but still bought a heavy,large pneumatic cylinder( $75?) from a Farm supply store,you see these on tractor buckets, just put some automatic transmission fluid in them for lubrication.
The dish I used is one with metal rectangular ribbing,maybe aluminum covered with a black metal mesh screening. It is large but fairly light.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I was given a very large old satellite dish. I cut it in half,put the two haves together,made the UFO,covered it with aluminum foil using aerosol spray glue.
I made a custom topper for the craft bending 1/2 steel conduit,covering it with sheet metal and Bondo and using some bright work from a cheap repro antique brass bed.
I was given a long,thin piece of very rigid steel ,it's the scraper blade from a bulldozer bucket!
This is the arm that lifts the craft up and down. It is like 1/2 wide by 4inches tall by 16 feet long? I made use of the holes already in this piece of steel since no drill bit that I could buy would make such a hole-too tough of steel!)
I hid a small air compressor under the hood of my wrecked car. When it kicks on, I say:"What? The engine started up after all of these years?"
then the UFO comes up from behind a low (but solid) fence,showing itself!
"Oh,that's why my car started up,it's a UFO!"
I counter-balanced the big arm with more scrap metal but still bought a heavy,large pneumatic cylinder( $75?) from a Farm supply store,you see these on tractor buckets, just put some automatic transmission fluid in them for lubrication.
The dish I used is one with metal rectangular ribbing,maybe aluminum covered with a black metal mesh screening. It is large but fairly light.
sounds awesome, do you have a pic?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Great idea DaveintheGrave. I really like the witch tracker idea. I also have an old TV sat. dish. I never even thought of trying to use this for anything. Humm...I might make a zombie locator. Crap, now another project I have to do before Halloween.:eek:

·
Funeral Crasher
7,452 Posts
Thanks, Scary Papa! The one I saw as a Xmas prop was animated, where it pivoted right and left.

Would be easy to do with any small motor and a crank.

·
Registered
145 Posts
This...
Green Technology Space Animation Science

Seriously though, I'd put some killer lighting effects put a boom out on the front of it, use fog and point it down off the roof at the ToTs. Maybe even use the Old War of the Worlds sound effects of the Martian machines firing their weapons. ...but that's just me. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts