Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the movie "the Ring" & the image of Samara crawling out of that Well I've always though was memorable & perfect for my yard haunt. I loosely followed Lother's Lair's version but did a lot of tweaking & upgrading along the way.

Well, this took 3 years to finally get right & completed. I ran into a lot of issues like binding of the crank arms, not enough or too much lift, etc... I'm proud to show the *almost* finished product (still need a white night gown which is actually quite hard to find).



Here's some video of the mechanics in action.

Halloween 2011 :: 10-24-11001.mp4 video by ND4SPD27 - Photobucket

Started off chopping down a trashcan & making styrofoam bricks gluing them on Locktite Powergrab construction adhesive. I then filled the gaps with DAP expandable foam to look like moarter between the bricks. It also helped to fill behind the bricks where the round trash can doesn't meet the outer edges of the bricks.



I built a basic tombstone head popper & thought that design would work good for this prop too. I was never really satisfied & tried to follow other's designs for isolating the side to side movement into up & down movements. Still I was not happy & was having issues with the crank arm & rod arm binding up. Now I'm this is the 3rd revision of the mechanics which I decided to use a $7 center mount kitchen drawer slider (16 or 18 long, I don't remember which). I used a vent motor & a 3" crank arm (gives 6" of total upward movement). Then an 8" rod arm which connects to pre-exhisting holes in the slider. I had to get a little more creative with how I mounted it all together for two reasons. #1). I didn't want to make another trip to Lowes so I used hardware I already had then #2). I was working with the base which I'd built to work with a little differently mounted set-up. Ultimately I'd build this in a much simpler fashion knowing what I've learned now.



Here's a video of it in action.


*** SEE PAGE 2 FOR THE REST OF THE HOW-TO ****
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Awesome I have been thinking of a prop like this for years, I need to tackle this head on soon, one of my favorite characters in recent memory
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a ton more pics & can easily do a how to but I can't figure out why my pics aren't posting correctly on these forums. I'll play with it more tonight & see if I can't figure it out. I'll also gomover how I made the head popper portion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wired up an outdoor motion sensor light to trigger the prop's motion & a blue light inside. I installed a power strip on the inside back of the well so I can run only 1 cord out the back for power & everything else plugs in on the inside. I'm considering one of those mini 400w foggers to go inside as well & provide an occasional puff for effect.



I then had to add some extra height now that I was using a much taller upper portion then initially anticipated because of the slider. I also decided it need a better rim around the top.



Now it was time to paint. Again, because I'd revised this 3 times now I had to re-paint...Grrrr! I use the grey colored Dry Loc Paint (used for water proofing concrete basement walls) as my base coat. The color is great, the texture is already stone like in texture, it provides a water resistant barrier as well as adding strength & rigidity to the foam. I then hit it with satin black spray paint up really close (approx 6") away to paint the dark mortar seams. The closer you are the less over spray on the bricks which means less touch up. Next I dry brush a little darker gray & some black over the bricks. I'll hand brush the cracks in the bricks as well. Pretty time consuming but worth it for the results.



I uses some heavy gauge wire to make the hands structure. I then measured the lengths, shaped the hands, & hot glued them in place. Again trying to just use stuff I already had, I grabbed some thin foam packing sheets used for moving dishes. I cut strips, wrapped fingers, & then tapped them up with painters tape. I mixed up & brushed on epoxy used for laying fiberglass to harden the hands up. Finally I painted them with Dry Lock which actually turned out much better looking then I thought they would.



Finally I just painted a foam wing head with Dry Loc & put a long witches wig on it. I did oval out the hole in the bottom of the foam head to allow it to tilt forward/ downward instead of looking straight out. It was a subtle detail which really added some realism.

Since taking these pictures I've mixed up a little green paint with a drop or two of black & thinned it out some with a bit of water in a plastic cup. I painted a thin light green-ish layer over the grey hands & face which really gives it that waterlogged look. I'm also still searching for a gown for Samara to wear but I think you all get the idea.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top