Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Arachnophiliac
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In celebration of "Halfway to Halloween" I thought I would share this with you. This thread also serves as a sort of memorial service for a six-month-old pumpkin who will very soon be thrown out.

In October 2010 I was asked to enter a pumpkin decorating contest, and I gladly accepted the challenge. I was eager to make a really awesome-looking pumpkin. When trying to think of something awesome that's related to Halloween, the first thing to come to mind was . . . well, spiders -- but the second thing was the wonderful character of Sam from the movie Trick 'r Treat. And the pumpkin I was supplied with just happened to be almost perfectly round.

So I painted the pumpkin with three to five shades of brown/tan paint (I did a little mixing between the shades) and a sponge technique to create as much of a burlap texture as possible. Then I took some real burlap, painted with the same exact paint so it would match, and superglued it to the bottom, adding a self-woven "rope" that I made out of twine. Then I painted and glued small pieces of the same twine to the pumpkin itself (sewed it down the center of the burlap) to look like the seam of stitches down the center of the hood, and Sam's trademark smile. Next, of course, came two large black buttons (with twine detail) for his eyes.

I even made a laminated tag featuring the cover art from the Trick 'r Treat DVD so that people would realize who he was. I was hoping that, in addition to looking completely awesome, it might raise awareness and spread the word about a great and underrated film.

Originally I was actually going to cover it with burlap, but I thought that would disguise the fact that it was a real pumpkin. I wanted that to be obvious when you looked at it, so I opted for paint instead.

He placed third.

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
Nice work, I love the movie and I love the pumpkin, Sam would be proud.

·
Arachnophiliac
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for all your compliments. You're not the only ones who have told me it should have won first place, but of course I never really get tired of hearing it... The first and second place winners were nowhere near as creative, cool or well-done as mine was, in my not-so-humble opinion. But taking third out of, I think, fifteen entries was still not too bad. The second place winner is actually sitting right next to mine in the photo I posted, and you can see the edge of it. It was just a pumpkin with the top cut off and some bones and things inside it, on a platter/cateferia tray with some more bones and a paper that introduced it as "today's special: bloody vegetable bone stew."

·
Ghouls Rule
2,668 Posts
WTH- this is obviously a first place winner! Was this a work thing? Who sponsored this? i think there needed to be an online vote. I love this idea, at first it looked like a mask, your painting on the pumpkin is so well done it matches the burlap fabric flawlessly. Someone in that group of judges voted for their friends.

·
Arachnophiliac
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WTH- this is obviously a first place winner! Was this a work thing? Who sponsored this? i think there needed to be an online vote. I love this idea, at first it looked like a mask, your painting on the pumpkin is so well done it matches the burlap fabric flawlessly. Someone in that group of judges voted for their friends.
I work in a hospital and this was an organization-wide contest between departments. Each department was allowed to enter one pumpkin and I was asked if I wanted to decorate ours. It was held and judged by the cafeteria staff (probably explains why the one about soup placed second). :rolleyes: Thanks for your enthusiastic support. ;)

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I Think How Scary..

Your paint job looks as I contemplate it actually being a real pumpkin, just naturally looking like that.
You get our minds going, isn't that what a first-place anything should be able to do for us?
I think so.
This was probably a fairly obtuse concept for those judging though.(Because it was no longer "Orange!?")
Sometimes we must put the "proper" colors on things so the general public knows what those things "ARE"...but that become boring.
I drive a bright Yellow Jeep.
HAHAHAHAH! Yes I do!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts