Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Spider Maven
1,468 Posts
It's not being shown in my market..or more likely my cable carrier. I'll have to try the free download on itunes to check out the pilot. I had company on Easter who couldn't wait to watch it. They live a couple of hours away. Totally bummed.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
I basically enjoyed the episode, although I went in expecting lots of changes to the subject matter. Essentially, anyone who desires to see historically-accurate depictions is not going to care for the show as much as those who are willing to overlook the liberties that the network has taken. Do not forget that this is not being broadcast on the History Channel...;)

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Garthgoyle, I DVRd it and plan to watch it again---without distractions this time. I am looking forward to it.

Has anyone watched the Hallmark movies called The Good Witch, starring Catherine Bell? I DVRd three of these several years ago. since then I have found several more and this past weekend caught yet another. This will also be a Hallmark series in 2015 from the the commercials on sunday

It is a really glamorous, modern, mystical type of witch story. It is different, but I like it.

Oh dang, if it is witches, I LIKE, LIKE, LIKE!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
My 87 year old mom likes The Good Witch. :D If you like that type of story, you might also like to read Nora Roberts, Charmed trilogy. The TV series was very very VERY loosely based on those books.

I didn't care for the Salem show much. Too soap-opera-esque. My perfect witch series would be a cross between Harry Potter and Breaking Bad.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm posting this before I read others opinions of the show and let me say...i liked it. Filming was good, acting gave me chills in some cases and the story pulled me in early and they have built a good story, I want to see more. Now let me say I'm not "into" witch lore so I don't know if the "facts" were right but, from what I know they did pretty good. I will be watching the next one and see how it goes.

·
Scariest guy on the block
1,956 Posts
Didn't care for it. The story was well written, amazing sets, costumes but..... I thought the nudity in the show felt like the nudity in a 80s slasher movie. Totally unnecessary adds nothing to the overall plot! I'll probably watch the next episode and make my final decision on whether to continue watching.

·
Registered
20,825 Posts
Now let me say I'm not "into" witch lore so I don't know if the "facts" were right but, from what I know they did pretty good. I will be watching the next one and see how it goes.
It is all absolutely, positively, 100% accurate, just like the films based on true stories;)

I agree with those who have stated that Salem is very much a soap opera. I used to be big-time into wrestling years ago, which is likely why that aspect does not bother me:D

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Tom I do agree with you the nudity was not really necessary for the story line. Funny Garthgoyle. :eek: Hey I can live with a nice dark shadows. I loved the costume (dog and leash type thing) of the girl being taken around the village to identify a witch, that would make one killer prop!
I didn't mind the nudity. :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I thought it was ok, will probably follow the next few episodes to see how it continues. I thought the effects were really, really good, if nothing else.

I also like the Good Witch series, in a "home sick and need something comforting to watch" way :)

I think out of all the recent witch-themed tv series, I have liked AHS: Coven the best.....been meaning to finish Witches of East End, anyone else a fan?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Watching the encore presentation tonight. :) I can see I'm the odd woman out here, but heck, I've always been a bit left of normal, so it doesn't bother me in the least to stand out. :)

Frankly I am not expecting nor wanting another Crucible...that one stands alone. I have re-read the play many times, have of course watched Hollywood's various interpretations of it, etc. (though I've never seen it played live, sadly), and my feeling is, do we really need another Crucible? It's been done and done and done and done - granted because it's a classic and a very "alive" piece, but really, how many ways...? You know? Just my feeling on it.

And you can bet I wasn't looking for anything that more than had a brief flirtation with any vague type of historicity - I figured that out watching "Salem: Witches Are Real," the sort of runon trailer they played. You couldn't have possibly stuffed more historical inaccuracies into a mere 30 minutes than they did, bravo, LOL. It was like they took a dare. :lol: So no surprises there. But again - I get my "What really happened in Salem?" fix via actual studies and books revolving around the studies...so I'm good there too.

I was SO down for some no-holds-barred fun with this series and that's just what I'm getting. Can't wait for this Sunday night!

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Oh, as for the sex/nudity:

1. It totally didn't bother me. Who knows why.
2. The Mather scene in the wh*orehouse made sense and was not at all slasher movie-esque exploitative to me. (Those are nearly always of brainless teens and have ZERO non-gratuitious value.) Rather, it was an extremely frank demonstration of hypocrisy (obviously) as well as a plant of the seed of the thought that perhaps Mather and his ilk were so crazed against "ungodly" practices because of their own demons. Makes sense to me.
3. The other "nudity" was hardly nude. Nor more than you'd see on a beach.
4. The calling up the devil by proxy (on the bed) scene was pretty crass, though not really graphic. That I didn't see an actual reason for, personally. Although it gave my husband and I few middle-school laughs as we repeated the phrase "riding a broomstick." But though it didn't seem necessary (to us), it didn't offend us or anything. Who knows whether it was full-on sensationalism or will have some sort of a meaning later on in the series.

Just my thoughts. :)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts