Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to remind everyone to be careful in your haste to finish your last builds (or first). I've been looking through everyone's progress pictures and they are great but I've noticed on more than one occasion people in precarious situations with power tools. Remember you don't want to end up like one of your props so make sure to keep you and your helpers' safety in mind when working. Always have those safety glasses and gloves on when possible and watch your fingers with the saws and nailguns.

I hate to admit it but just today I had a small accident with my nailgun. A fired a nail and it must have hit a knot in the wood or another nail/screw and the nail bent upward and went straight into my middle finger. Had I not had my hand quite so close to where I was nailing it would have never happened. So please everyone, make sure you take the extra moment before pulling the trigger or turning the power on to those saws to make sure no one is about to get hurt.

Good luck and be safe!

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
How's the finger Ezekiel? I guess you're typing so survived but sounds painful. Middle finger huh? So tell us what to expect at the emergency room. Sorry to hear about it and I'm sure it will give all who read the post some thought to doing the construction aspect of halloween.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I felt fine until late last night. Then it began to get a bit sore with everything I touched or picked up. As a matter of fact it is pretty sore right now. The nail entered through the crease at the last finger joint. I'm not really sure how far it went in but it was enough for me to feel like my finger was stuck to the board. The nail was sticking up from the board by about and inch and half or so. Actually I tried not to make a big deal about it at the time and was going to throw some duct tape on it and keep going but my wife wouldn't have any of that. So I did end applying pressure for a while to stop the bleeding, cleaned it really good then threw some a band aid on it and then wrapped that with duct tape (1001 uses for that stuff eh). I've had my fingers and hands punctured by various things in the past but never has my finger been so sore afterward. Maybe I'm lucky and the nail stopped at the bone and that is why it didn't come out the other side? I dunno, but I am thankful it was only a 15 guage 2 1/2" trim nail and not a behemoth 3 1/2" framing nail.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts