Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am I the middle of building a new coffin and thought about using nails this time instead of screws, however the ones I found that are short enough are roofing nails. They are galvanized and very shiny.

Is there a way to rust them up before I use them to give them that old look, or should I just stick with screws?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I would just paint the heads when your done, get some craft paints start with a brown base, add a light dab of orange here and there and maybe a touch of dark grey or black. Seal with a clearcoat if your worried about moisture.
Nobody likes a shiny nail counter anyway - stick them in the coffin !

·
Registered
407 Posts
Thing about galvanized, is its a Zinc covering i think...so a strong acid would be needed to eat the zinc away (since zinc is highly reactive to acid like hydrochloric)

Then, when the zinc is gone, they would be soaked in bleach or hydrogen peroxide i think to get them to rust quickly.

All of this has dangers of couse, so unless you know what your doing....go with the screws.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thing about galvanized, is its a Zinc covering i think...so a strong acid would be needed to eat the zinc away (since zinc is highly reactive to acid like hydrochloric)

Then, when the zinc is gone, they would be soaked in bleach or hydrogen peroxide i think to get them to rust quickly.

All of this has dangers of couse, so unless you know what your doing....go with the screws.
Well crap, that's what I was afraid of! Plus, the screws are more expensive. LOL

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yet another "nail in the coffin" as to why I'm switching to screws. LOL. Thanks for the advice everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts