Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UGH! Ok, so I'm still setting up my interior décor. Just started on Monday because we were out of the country for two weeks. Now, it's a mad rush!! And, then on to the outdoor stuff...

Anyway, in pulling my décor out, I'm really realizing how much stuff I have and how I have absolutely no room for any more. Not one more thing! Eek!!

What do you guys do when you run out of storage in your home?....I assume rent storage or build a shed? Seems a bit extreme for me. Maybe, it's just time to get rid of some of it.....that way I have room to buy some new things next year! :)

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I refuse to pay rent for storage so I either get creative with my space or get rid of stuff. Or sometimes both. A couple of years ago, I had a major purge and got rid of everything I didn't absolutely love. I also no longer buy anything new that I don't absolutely love. More storage space and my decor has more meaning without a bunch of crap from the dollar store! ;)

Reactions: RedSonja

·
Registered
461 Posts
My house is small, no garage, attic or basement, so I pay for storage, it is mostly Halloween but not all. Eventually, storage will be too costly so I plan on redoing the backyard shed to accomomendate the storage and building of props. With all the rain this year I wish I had it now.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yep, This year I'm selling 1/3 of everything. Especially need to get rid of bulky items.
Some are very hard to part with, which is just silly emotions.

Storage places are crazy expensive
Not hard to believe that they are hard to part with I think the emotional attachment is much stronger when you built them yourself.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,636 Posts
Purging stuff is a good idea. Frees up space, gives you a little extra cash (if you sell it), or just allows you to buy some new/different stuff. We purge every year, in part due to changing themes but also we're thinning out our stuff as we shift to a smaller display in the next couple years. We've consolidated totes, sold off masks and costumes and gone through old worn out stuff and either pitched it, donated it to good will or passed it along to other haunters.

·
They call me HeebieJeebie
2,050 Posts
My whole house is like that! Too small & too much stuff! Sometimes I wish for a nice lightning strike or something so it'll all burn down & I can start over with a blank slate (I KID!!)

I'm just about to the point where Madame Leota is - too much stuff that I don't love & don't even take out of the totes anymore! Once I finally get in the garage & unbury the totes, my goals are to list a whole lotta stuff on this site. At least then I know this stuff will go to someone who will put it all to good use!

·
A Great Pumpkin
3,103 Posts
Kind of at this point too. No extra storage space, and also am trying to downsize in getting ready for retirement. Realistically need to cut my stuff by at least a 1/3, but it is really hard when I really like and have become attached to so much of what I have.

Have been trying the trick of, if everything went away, what would I miss most, and setting that stuff aside. However, being a sentimental old fool it becomes a game of coming up with an excuse to keep something and putting it away, and then turning around and most of the stuff is still there. /o\ So I probably need to be more strict with myself but man it's hard.

Hope someday to find a happy medium between my desire to collect and what's realistic to have to keep to my inner H'ween enthusiast happy. I hope the same for you! Happy Halloween :)

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, purging is good. I do a bit every year. If I haven't used it in two Halloweens or I don't absolutely love it, it goes to Goodwill. Yet, still there's too much stuff!!... I know because I buy a little more every year!! :)

I do find that I'm a lot more selective about the stuff I buy now, though. I know there's a lack of space, but also that I only want to spend my hard earned money on something I know I'll love and use for years to come.

It's funny, when I first started this, about twenty years ago or so, I used to buy any little thing I could afford and that sparked my fancy. Because of that I ended up with some weird, random things that I have gotten rid of the past few years. I guess, over time you begin to hone your taste and really start to figure out what you really like. In the beginning, it's more like your just getting anything Halloween related you can find to fill your house and home!

·
Registered
14,231 Posts
Yes, purging is good. I do a bit every year. If I haven't used it in two Halloweens or I don't absolutely love it, it goes to Goodwill. Yet, still there's too much stuff!!... I know because I buy a little more every year!! :)

I do find that I'm a lot more selective about the stuff I buy now, though. I know there's a lack of space, but also that I only want to spend my hard earned money on something I know I'll love and use for years to come.

It's funny, when I first started this, about twenty years ago or so, I used to buy any little thing I could afford and that sparked my fancy. Because of that I ended up with some weird, random things that I have gotten rid of the past few years. I guess, over time you begin to hone your taste and really start to figure out what you really like. In the beginning, it's more like your just getting anything Halloween related you can find to fill your house and home!
So true! When you start off with nothing and want to build a halloween prop inventory to play around with and can modify, everything looks to be useful! :). I pretty much have the future themes I want to do worked out and now need to seriously prune anything that can't be used for them. With an end goal in mind theme-wise, figure it will be easier to accomplish. A few years ago I stopped going into tempting stores like HomeGoods, TJMaxx as I have plenty of decor items, which btw also could be pruned and have only picked up prop items that I really, really like that will fit my current list of themes. As we age I know that as far as decorating outdoors goes, I likely have a limited amount of years to decorate. Makes me sad thinking about it but know it's true. After that decision comes down I'll still decorate the window areas so will keep things for that. I admire you RedSonia if you've been able to prune every year. It's a good habit to develop early.

·
Registered
362 Posts
WHERE ARE THE MODERATORS??
How could such a thread be allowed?????
Does anyone see the language being used here?????
Purge, Downsize, Selling, get rid of........STOP the madness!!!!!
OF COURSE you have to either, BUILD ON TO EXISTING HOME, BUY A NEW AND BIGGER HOME, or at minimal add a 20' x 20' temperature controlled out building. OR just, kick your kids, spouse or elderly parents to the street, way before considering LESS Halloween STUFF!
If members on this forum are going to let LIFE interfere with Halloween, there is going to be a membership committee needed and an application process.
Here are some ideas:
Get rid of your bed, just place your mattress on top of the totes!
No one needs more then one tube or shower, think storage.
I assume the garage is filled, IF NOT get the car out side, they were built to be outside, unlike our prized Latex Props.
Kitchen table 4' x 4" plywood on top of totes
Height of your ceilings vs how tall are you in shoes, 8' ceilings, 6' tall 2 foot of storage not being used!!!
The staircase, you don't need the whole width.
From a Halloween Hoarder
Jerseyscare

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Purging can be therapeutic. I’m doing it now, because this year when I started pulling out all my decor, I got so overwhelmed! I think the heat had something to do with it. Nothing like trying to rummage thru your inventory and plan the what and where when you have rivers of sweat running down your back all the way to your crack. You’re welcome for the visual :D

·
Dawn of the Dead
1,848 Posts
Trying selling some items on Facebook marketplace. Then hang onto the info for the people who have inquired. You can drop them a note when you have stuff to sell in the future. Also, there used to be a Pay It Forward post on Halloween Forum where people made a wish list (not the reaper program) they like. You could be an awesome person and send them something. One year I sent out 8 packages. Is that still going on?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Trying selling some items on Facebook marketplace. Then hang onto the info for the people who have inquired. You can drop them a note when you have stuff to sell in the future. Also, there used to be a Pay It Forward post on Halloween Forum where people made a wish list (not the reaper program) they like. You could be an awesome person and send them something. One year I sent out 8 packages. Is that still going on?
I’ve been on here for 2 years and I haven’t seen anything like that! I would love to see that done!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts