Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front porch is waiting for me to do something amazing and for the life of me I’m at a loss.

I’ve looked in Forum albums, googled things, Pinterest... coming up with serious “haunter’s block”. (Is that a thing?)

So when your creativity doesn’t seem to want to cooperate with you, how do you get it moving again?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Yes creative block is a thing. Whenever it comes time to be creative I try to think of a theme I really want to try. Back when we decorated a small improv theater for their BIG Halloween movie night I got them to tell me months in advance what the movie they were going to mystery science 3000 and build my decor around that theme. Blob was well LOTS of things formed out of great stuff foam, some bug movie we did LOTS of huge spiders and webs. Of course this was in the days before Pintrest...

For the past 6 years we held a Halloween event for a club and again I come up with the theme that sounded fun to do. Year one was a witch parlor and funeral home. Year 2 was a haunted logging camp. Years 3 and 4 was carn-evil there were just soooo many ideas for this one one year couldn't contain them all. Last year it was aliens. This year we're redoing the haunted logging camp because this year we're all going camping for the event.

A friend loves making beer so this year she's finally turning the yard into a pub full of drunk skellys and the BBQ roasting their bones. Someone else I know does their porch in Disney's Haunted Manison. Us it's a graveyard with a hell's gate in the middle.

So I say first think of something you really like and then how can I turn it into something Halloween-ish. Like horses - Headless Horseman Like tea Mad Hatter's Party.

·
Registered
13,520 Posts
My front porch is waiting for me to do something amazing and for the life of me I’m at a loss.

I’ve looked in Forum albums, googled things, Pinterest... coming up with serious “haunter’s block”. (Is that a thing?)

So when your creativity doesn’t seem to want to cooperate with you, how do you get it moving again?
Is this to coordinate with your gypsy fortune teller / werewolf curse theme? If so maybe the porch can be a werewolf full-moon containment cell. Werewolves chained to the walls. Add howling soundtrack every so often. That way your ToTers would not only get the perspective from the gypsy woman but from the cursed man/werewolf.

I find when I'm feeling discouraged or down about pushing ahead with some aspect of decorating it pays to take a little time away. When I was in 6th-7th grade and we had to do a term paper and were struggling, our teacher said to stop, take a break from it and return to it with a fresh mind. Sometimes I get unexpected inspiration from trying to help others and it becomes a springboard to something for my theme. Sometimes there will be something I see a photo of here or something in a store or even an article that just becomes a lightbulb moment. Inspiration is sometimes hard to come by but like a dream you had, the longer you think about it, it disappears so get out and do something different for the moment.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Run us through what you are doing elsewhere. I know you will have trees with a moon, a gypsy/fortune tellers tent, A witch and you will have ghost fruit nearby the witch and you will have a werewolf. What else do you have or will be setting up?

What is the story line? Or is everything connected somehow? Maybe as you are telling us the story you have created, something will click or we can maybe help you come up with something.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm right there with you! It seems like the plan for the rest of the yard is coming together but the what to do on the front porch is just eluding me too. Just know that inspiration will come. Plus there are a TON of amazing people here on the forum that may be able to spark that fire again!

·
Registered
168 Posts
When I hit a wall I try to take a step back and not be creative for a minute. That’s when I start browsing shops, galleries, magazines for things to buy or the latest new item. Inspiration usually strikes when I’m not looking for it.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes creative block is a thing. Whenever it comes time to be creative I try to think of a theme I really want to try. Back when we decorated a small improv theater for their BIG Halloween movie night I got them to tell me months in advance what the movie they were going to mystery science 3000 and build my decor around that theme. Blob was well LOTS of things formed out of great stuff foam, some bug movie we did LOTS of huge spiders and webs. Of course this was in the days before Pintrest...

For the past 6 years we held a Halloween event for a club and again I come up with the theme that sounded fun to do. Year one was a witch parlor and funeral home. Year 2 was a haunted logging camp. Years 3 and 4 was carn-evil there were just soooo many ideas for this one one year couldn't contain them all. Last year it was aliens. This year we're redoing the haunted logging camp because this year we're all going camping for the event.

A friend loves making beer so this year she's finally turning the yard into a pub full of drunk skellys and the BBQ roasting their bones. Someone else I know does their porch in Disney's Haunted Manison. Us it's a graveyard with a hell's gate in the middle.

So I say first think of something you really like and then how can I turn it into something Halloween-ish. Like horses - Headless Horseman Like tea Mad Hatter's Party.
Thanks so much! Can I just say I love these ideas! Haunted logging camp is very very original.

Reading your post makes me wonder if because I’m just themeless if I’m struggling. I’ll keep digging and thanks for sharing these ideas!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its a real thing for me, but if I can just get something started it seems to come together in the end. at least that's what everyone else thinks. I always think there is some more or I could do something different or just not done
Totally understand! Sometimes you get to the end and a new idea hits you and you think... why didn’t I think of that?!?! Good thing Halloween keeps happening every year so ideas can evolve.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is this to coordinate with your gypsy fortune teller / werewolf curse theme? If so maybe the porch can be a werewolf full-moon containment cell. Werewolves chained to the walls. Add howling soundtrack every so often. That way your ToTers would not only get the perspective from the gypsy woman but from the cursed man/werewolf.

I find when I'm feeling discouraged or down about pushing ahead with some aspect of decorating it pays to take a little time away. When I was in 6th-7th grade and we had to do a term paper and were struggling, our teacher said to stop, take a break from it and return to it with a fresh mind. Sometimes I get unexpected inspiration from trying to help others and it becomes a springboard to something for my theme. Sometimes there will be something I see a photo of here or something in a store or even an article that just becomes a lightbulb moment. Inspiration is sometimes hard to come by but like a dream you had, the longer you think about it, it disappears so get out and do something different for the moment.
You’re probably right! I’m probably forcing it. Normally I will see an items and it just “sparks” something. My porch has no spark.

The gypsies, tent and all their goodies plus the werewolf, moon, his two big lots wolves (who we affectionately named Moe and Joe) will all be on the right side of the driveway. I am really proud of the moon prop which we borrowed from the Home Depot blog.

Front yard is a witch harvest pumpkin mashup. I got a total of 7 witches, two scarecrows, a harmonica playing pumpkin, the skeleton horse, a dozen hay bales and about 20 foam pumpkins to round it all out.

I’m really happy with everything we built and bought for both parts of our yard, but that front porch is just giving my fits. It’s not a huge area. It’s covered, has two chairs and a shelf with some outdoor items on it. All in all maybe the width of a twin mattress. House is white so you want to make sure there’s decent amounts of color cause it’s truly a blank slate.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Run us through what you are doing elsewhere. I know you will have trees with a moon, a gypsy/fortune tellers tent, A witch and you will have ghost fruit nearby the witch and you will have a werewolf. What else do you have or will be setting up?

What is the story line? Or is everything connected somehow? Maybe as you are telling us the story you have created, something will click or we can maybe help you come up with something.
My husband says my yard theme is a bunch of gals fussing at you! Since the yard is split and I couldn’t figure out how to blend it all cause some lunatic bought a crap ton of props, the better solution was two distinct areas; gypsies and werewolves on one side and witches, scarecrows, and pumpkins on the other.

We don’t use the front porch on Halloween night. We put a fire pit in the driveway and watch. We find using our porch created a massive bottle neck for ToTs.

I had thought since my displays are pretty G rating about going a little more risky on the front porch and making it a spot for the more daring ToTs to go visit. I don’t really want to buy more props and additionally I haven’t seen anything in stores better than what I have. I had hoped some store would have some item that would make it all click but that item has not been located yet.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm right there with you! It seems like the plan for the rest of the yard is coming together but the what to do on the front porch is just eluding me too. Just know that inspiration will come. Plus there are a TON of amazing people here on the forum that may be able to spark that fire again!
Thank you so much! Sometimes if you’re not careful and read what everyone else is doing you start to wonder... maybe I’m not talented enough for all this Halloween business after all. And yes, there are some absolutely amazing and wonderfully collaborative people on this forum and I am so glad to be a member. ☺

·
Celtic Spirit
2,091 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Could you maybe move one of your scenes to your front porch area?
I have a Pinterest board of Halloween porch ideas, nothing really exciting but perhaps something on here will inspire you. https://www.pinterest.com/tannasgach/porch-halloween/
Honestly no. At this point the front yard is going to be about 25-30ft wide and the side yard is about 20 ft with display items. I’m not going deep into the yard cause I felt a lot of items got lost in the background last year. The porch is covered, one window in the middle and is roughly 4 x 11. There is also a railing to content with.

Thanks for the board. I’ll check it out and see if I get anywhere!

·
Registered
967 Posts
@Meadow, I really do not have a theme for my yard either. Usually I put my witches on one side and a cemetery on the other side. Last year was my first year with my spooky trees so I put my witches among them to sorta make it look like the witches were in a clearing in the woods and my cemetery and grim reaper were on the other side. I put the spider I made up close to my house. I have a huge deep window well right between the narrow sidewalk that comes from my driveway to my front door and my house. I have to put boards or something over it to prevent folks from falling into it. I really don't like the TOTs using that sidewalk so I have them use a pathway through the middle of my yard from the main sidewalk near the road to my door. Over the top of my window well is where I put my large spider and I added cobwebbing from my roof down to the ground.

Maybe you could add some spiders on your porch. Make them look like they are crawling up walls, or dangling down from a web. Cover it in cobwebs, spider egg sacks, maybe have some bones and skulls entangled in the webs.

If you have a picture of what your porch looks like from the front, and maybe a view of your yard and the front of your house taken from the road, or from where the TOTs will start approaching your yard and house we will have a better idea of what you are working with.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Meadow, I really do not have a theme for my yard either. Usually I put my witches on one side and a cemetery on the other side. Last year was my first year with my spooky trees so I put my witches among them to sorta make it look like the witches were in a clearing in the woods and my cemetery and grim reaper were on the other side. I put the spider I made up close to my house. I have a huge deep window well right between the narrow sidewalk that comes from my driveway to my front door and my house. I have to put boards or something over it to prevent folks from falling into it. I really don't like the TOTs using that sidewalk so I have them use a pathway through the middle of my yard from the main sidewalk near the road to my door. Over the top of my window well is where I put my large spider and I added cobwebbing from my roof down to the ground.

Maybe you could add some spiders on your porch. Make them look like they are crawling up walls, or dangling down from a web. Cover it in cobwebs, spider egg sacks, maybe have some bones and skulls entangled in the webs.

If you have a picture of what your porch looks like from the front, and maybe a view of your yard and the front of your house taken from the road, or from where the TOTs will start approaching your yard and house we will have a better idea of what you are working with.
You know the spiders might work. I still have a ton of beef netting left over from last year and two large plush spiders. They don’t exactly have a home in my current set up so I will have to get them out of the attic and see what I can do! Thanks for reminding me!

·
black light queen
2,493 Posts
have you considered black lights in your porch? we pretty much do the same thing every year, but its always different ... i know it doesn't make sense, lol ... so maybe take a look at our site thathalloweenhouse.xyz, where we've been posting videos from our past years, to get some ideas?

amk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Going along with the spider theme, you could do a trail of spiders leading to or from the front door. I did that a few years ago--I got a bag of plastic spiders for cheap from amazon and taped them to the floor and wall leading up my stairs. It looked super creepy when all done--way more than I expected when just looking at the cheap plastic spiders individually. It's cheap and easy and has a big effect.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Going along with the spider theme, you could do a trail of spiders leading to or from the front door. I did that a few years ago--I got a bag of plastic spiders for cheap from amazon and taped them to the floor and wall leading up my stairs. It looked super creepy when all done--way more than I expected when just looking at the cheap plastic spiders individually. It's cheap and easy and has a big effect.
I love this idea! What a cute and cheap way to make it spooky! We did hang bats last year and the white siding really helped show them off. ;) Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
have you considered black lights in your porch? we pretty much do the same thing every year, but its always different ... i know it doesn't make sense, lol ... so maybe take a look at our site thathalloweenhouse.xyz, where we've been posting videos from our past years, to get some ideas?

amk
Black lights might not be horrible cause it is very white. We did green last year, my profile pic has the porch, and we too want to change it up. I will check out your site. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
About this Discussion
31 Replies
15 Participants
Meadow
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing