Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Halloween King
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been a few threads like this so i'll make it short and sweet.

As some may know i booked a week off work to soak in the spirit in the last week.

But honestly, it feels like it's already over, peaked.

As some have been saying ALL the stores i've been in past 2 days, last week were FULL of people buying halloween stuff, have now removed EVERYTHING overnight. One day it was there, the next it wasn't, without warning.

No downsizing, just gone. Days before. Everywhere i look i see christmas and although i've been fighting it for ages, and HATE that it's shoved down your throat before the other holidays have even happened, a small bit of me can't think of anything but the christmas fun time coming now.

This week off i've had my party, carved all my pumpkins, watched scary movies, gone to pro haunts, and had a great time in doing it.

But it's the day before, i've watched all my halloween related movies way too many times this month, i can't find anything halloween related on tv anymore, however plenty of christmas movies today.

I think i might try and savour the moments till later next year, but i know i won't. It's hard not to get into early when you've been waiting a year and summer's dying.

Here's to hoping tomorrow is everything i hoped it'd be. I'm gonna try but it feels like an uphill battle now.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Oh WHEW, I was JUST feeling like this yesterday. I said to my DH: "All of a sudden I just wish it was over! The decorations aren't fun any more, they look messy!"

But you know what? Tomorrow...everyone else will be excited, kids, adults, everybody, and all of a sudden, yes...it will BE Halloween. For you. Just like for those around you.

And it will be a blast.

Yes. You will love your Halloween. The spirit will sneak back in there. Relax today...and tomorrow that energy and fun will be there.

·
spookiness in the suburbs
905 Posts
Hang in there OMGDan!

I've run out of energy more than the spirit so far this year, but every year I hit a moment of doubt: "is it all worth it? will everything go OK? will the TOTs appreciate or even notice my new fill-in-the-blank that I spent so much time on? why in the heck do I do this every year?"

Do something totally un-Halloween (and most decidedly non-Christmas) for a while today to "clear your palate." I bet you'll feel better tomorrow when the festivities begin!

·
Registered
110 Posts
i get this way too Dan! I get pumped and pumped and then there's nothing left to do that I haven't done a millions times already. Im feeling kinda down today myself but I know (or hope) that when i wake up tomorrow, my blood will be pumping and it will be all i can do to get out of work at noon so I can go home and try to finish up some last minute stuff. I still have some decorating to do on the front lawn but because it's already dark when i get home, I can't get out there and do it then, plus here in houston, we get mosquitos 365 so i get eaten alive trying to do things in the yard at night. But tomorrow, I get out of here at noon and then im heading to vote, then home and im gonna be all my lonesome, decorating and blaring my halloween music all afternoon!!! just thinking about it helps me get back into the spirit! I absolutely can not wait! I think you should head the advise of trying to do something that's non-halloween related today and then maybe tonight or tomorrow morning, i bet you feel better!!! good luck!!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Dan, I'm right there with ya! I've lost my oomph..I'm even considering taking down my best stuff tomorrow morning (not everything) so I don't have to feel rushed to get back and defend my property, instead we can leisurely TOT with no worries.
I'm also looking forward to Christmas. Last year it pretty much sucked but I'm pretty excited about this year. *shrug*

·
Registered
719 Posts
I am glad to read someone else feels like me!! I start in Sept. reading scary books, watching scary movies, planning, plotting, getting ready, etc. and this past couple of weeks for me have been, well, I guess I am scared to say, just burned-out from it all. I had the party last Sat. night. and the clean up from the graveyard and party took 2 days. Hoping to gain some fun out of it tomorrow night watching my 7-year-old trick or treat. He is going as Angus Young from ACDC and I am his roadie.

·
...is up to no good
1,295 Posts
Maybe the industry's idea to put Christmas stuff out earlier and earlier, ushering Halloween stuff out the door early, so we get in a Christmas frenzy early is actually working on us.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Maybe the industry's idea to put Christmas stuff out earlier and earlier, ushering Halloween stuff out the door early, so we get in a Christmas frenzy early is actually working on us.
LOL,maybe so!!

Truth be told..I wish there was a larger gap between the holidays.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You are right about everything being taken off the shelves overnight! They keep the banner for Halloween stuff on the outside of the store but inside nothing but Christmas stuff :mad: I don't set up until Halloween so it's part of the fun to pick up odds and ends the last few days but no chance this week. Still feel the rush but seeing 'The Boss' shut down in NJ this year has me worried about the crowds and the impact to my circle/street. ;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
OMGDan I totally understand how you are feeling. My party is tomorrow night and i am so tired and burnt out I am wishing it was over already. This party was supposed to be hosted by me and a friend, but I have done all the work and spent all the money. I took the day off tomorrow but I know that I will be up really late tonight finishing the last minute touches on the decorations and costumes and to tell you the truth all I want to do is take a nap!

I know I sound like a downer but I agree with the others take some time to do something other than Halloween stuff and just relax. Tomorrow will come and you will feel refreshed and ready to celebrate again.

·
Fallen Angel
7,061 Posts
I'm right there with you too. For me, part of it was that all of the parties were last weekend. After that, it's all anticlimactic.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't feel like Halloween has to peak on October 31st. We treat the whole month like Halloween and wherever the best days fall, we let them fall. Its not like Christmas where you only open presents that morning and then its over. Halloween is a holiday that people can celebrate in their own little ways, though there are some similarities like TOTing. The day I got my decorations down was a little like opening presents for me, and that was in September. Since then I have had a few great 'in the spirit' days, others...not so much. But not to worry, I have had a damn blast this October. And, I am sure that when I start carving pumpkins tonight and watch Nightmare on Elmstreet and Garfields' Halloween that I will fire right back up.

OMGDan, if you are burned out, have a nice quiet Halloween with a movie, some popcorn and a Jack-o-lantern or two glowing. Don't force it; save some energy for next year!

·
Registered
803 Posts
You're obviously not alone! I always feel it's a bit over before it actually is. We already celebrated at the street festival this weekend, so I kinda feel like it's over. But then again, this is my first year having a house, so when I think of getting ready for the tot's, I get excited, rememerbeing the spirit of the season.

I remind myself what it was like when I was a kid, walking timidly (and a little hesitantly) to the houses that were ghoulishly decorated. Those always got my heart racing. They were the houses everyone wanted to go to. That's the kind of excitement I'd like to envoke for my trick or treaters!

On being burnt out form party planning....I remember one year being so tired that night (and a little drunk!) that I found myself on the bathroom floor crying from exhaustion! Crazy.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Ok, looks like we are all feeling the same here. Did we all peak a week or two ago with the big hopes of what is going to happen? I've been off and on for about a month now. All I do is play some of the music from Nightmare Before Xmas and I'm set to go again. I'm kind of stuck with the things I can put out right now. My spiders will not go out until tomorrow morning for the big surprise effect. Then I hook up all the electrical and hoses. Now I'm supposed to be shooting the webbing. Hah, the winds are gusting to 24mph and they just blow onto one side of the framework. They look great but, I think I'll have to be blowing tomorrow instead. So I'm stuck and feeling down also.
I agree about the stores. Personally, I hope they get a big backlash for starting so soon. On the other hand I know they are starting early because of our damn economics. I wonder if we can have them put out Halloween stuff about July 2. Then we can ignore the 4th. I'm even having a very large xmas party this year at my house and all I can think about is decorating for that and all the work it's going to take. I wish I could do a Nightmare Before Xmas theme. lol Black and Red lights on the house and dead reindeer in the yard. Maybe a Charlie Brown xmas tree that is covered in spider webs. MMMM, maybe I'm on to something.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had a blast this year but it was hard work. I think we all get a little down after any holiday we spend so much energy to enjoy. Just remember that, "sometimes its the journey and not the destination". I'm already planning some new stuff for next year and keeping it in a notebook. Hang in there and have a Great Halloween!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
wow im glad i found this thread,i thought i was the only one who felt this way.i cant complain too much however.usually a week before halloween i start wondering what im going to do for the big night but this year i participated in my first haunted house and it was awesome!also its the first year that i went all out with indoor decorations(video & pics coming soon)but tomarrows the big day and im having a HUGE party right after the TOTing so its not over yet!its the day after that im getting depressed over,,what the heck am i going to do with myself!!maybe i should start a support group.:rolleyes:

·
Capt o' the Mourning Star
600 Posts
I haven't run out of spirit, but I do look forward to having a day that I can just sit and relax! This is my first large Halloween haunt set up (POTC Theme) and am really looking forward to the reactions of the TOT's. I am worried about the weather though....they are forecasting some rain here in Northern Calif for tomorrow:(......

On Saturday, we are having a neighborhood "Day after Halloween" party at my house so all the neighbors can get a real up close look at my pirate ship (The "Mourning Star"), but the rain is supposed to be here for sure then:(:(....

I am really disappointed with the stores as well. Lowes, Home Depot and Michael's all have either completely taken down or reduced their Halloween stuff and put up Christmas stuff too. I am fortunate to have two great Halloween stores here in town and a large Spirit of Halloween store fairly close by, so not all is lost.

I only have two more strings of skull lights to put out today and then I am officially DONE:D! But I am already making plans in my head for expanding my set up for next year:D:D:D!!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
On a positive note- I AM looking forward to November 1st and the week or so that follows, I love,love,love after Halloween clearance prices!

·
Registered
797 Posts
That's why Halloween is a season and not just a day. I feel the same way about Christmas, by the time the day actually gets here, your ready for it to be done. It's all anticipation I think! HUGS!

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Well I wouldn't say I'm out of spirit, just sad cause hubby leaves tonight at 3:15am, well morning I guess. It's always a hard night for me as I don't get to sleep until around 6am in the morning. So we're just going to do a little decorating this year as I need his help cause of my crappy health, so we'll do it tonight. Then we have to get all his gear packed up tonight and ready to go. Gonna be soooo tired for tomorrow, and to top it off it's raining here now and is suppose to rain all night tonight and tomorrow,ug! And my poor hubby, he's just found out they have almost 3 feet of snow up at the mine site.

But what can you do-just make the most of it I guess. Well thanks for listening and I better get crackin on the decorations:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts