Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Are the rules for you or for Trick or Treaters? Because if they're for trick or treaters you should think about if they can even read to begin with? Then comes the, are they going to stand there long enough to read it...and are you really sure they read it? and....what are the consequences if they don't read it? What sign? I didn't see any sign? I would take your rules and go from the standpoint of what can I do to ensure they're followed. Don't put things in arms reach. Don't have any spot in your haunt where the ToT can't be seen, don't let them reach in the bowl if you only want them to have one piece of candy, build a fence to keep them on the sidewalk.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Thanks for this thread! I have been wanting to make a "rules sign" for years. I need to make one that will be attached to my entry arch. Since there is always a line, people will have the opportunity to actually read the thing.

I don't know how your haunt is situated but for mine, it involves steps and pathways among other complex things.

My sign will probably have this in it:

ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Please be careful.
Watch your step.
Follow directional signs.
One way only along the path.
No running.
No touching the props.
No pushing.
Exit in backyard.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
We gave up on any signs, other than ones that are part of a scene, like our Drunken Sailor Tavern. Nobody wants to read much. They want stuff to happen, get scared, etc. oh, and get candy! LOL We put up rope barriers in our haunt to keep people out (some of our scares leap out at you, so you have to keep people back or they'll get nailed by it). They can't reach anything, so they can't touch anything. Simple. Fence around the graveyard outside.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Rule #1 is Safety First. If your customers are safe then you are safe. The only time a sign is read, is if someone is stuck in line for any length of time, and most times, not even then. CreepyCreations and Scatterbrains have the right idea, if they can't touch it, and it can't touch them, then things should be ok. At least one person asks this question each year, and there are previous posts about. The one thing most people agree on is a disclaimer. Remove your liability. There are people out there who want to hurt you, just for the sake of hurting you - even for entertainment like a yard haunt. If you post a disclaimer, it doesn't matter if it is read or not, as long as it is posted in a visible area.
Rule #2 is keep an eye on your haunt. There is nothing more important you have to do while the haunt is running, than keep an eye on what going on. I don't mean you have to patrol it like a prison guard, but you do need to keep a watchful eye on it. Things do happen, and the sooner you know, the better off you'll be in the long run. Good luck. HM

·
Registered
744 Posts
I don't know you guys. It is my understanding that disclaimers really don't mean squat on private property and that you are still responsible if someone gets hurt, regardless of any disclaimer. Maybe it has to do with the state you are in, but we did research on ours, and it means nothing.

We just make sure we keep our path well lit, have signs for steps, directions for keeping the flow proper, the exit clearly marked, etc. We actually have a fire marshal pay us a visit every year to inspect our layout. We have someone at the front gate all night only letting 6-8 people in at a time so it doesn't get crowded. And we walk around to keep the peace at all times. The marshal appreciated that.

I think it would be fun to have a sign at the entrance though, just because it helps people get an idea of what is expected of them. I want to make it themed though....maybe make the wording evil and in a cool font.

·
The Duke of Spook
1,976 Posts
If I were to have a rules sign, it would read as follows:

Walk up to the front door
Ring the door bell
Do not knock on my door or I will get pissed
Say "Trick-or-Treat" when I open the door
Say "Thank you" when I hand you your treats
Leave and don't come back until next Hallowen

·
spookiness in the suburbs
905 Posts
I've seen this posted in a lot of businesses in New Orleans, especially in the Quarter: Be nice, or be gone. Sums it all up for me :)

I generally post my hours of operation, and call it good. Anything more probably won't be read anyway. I do plan on working "be nice or be gone" in somewhere though, aimed at the snarky tweens and teens :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was actually going to post a thread asking the same question...Im thinking of just posting a sign saying dont touch the props etc. but I just wonder is this going to intice the teens and people who want to hurt you? Like daring them to do something? How do you guys deal with vandals and what not

·
spookiness in the suburbs
905 Posts
I just wonder is this going to intice the teens and people who want to hurt you? Like daring them to do something? How do you guys deal with vandals and what not
Turn them into next year's display! Kidding aside, being visible is your best defense against malefactors, especially kids. If they think no one is looking, they'll try to show out for their buddies and do something stupid. Creating a barrier between TOTs or viewers and your stuff is your best bet when you can't be right there, followed by security cameras, real or fake. I have multiple cameras, some real, some fake, and signage making it clear that the yard is under video surveillance.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have one that says, "Touch nothing and nothing will touch you." Seems to work and I often hear people repeat it. I have also seen gravestones that read,
"F. Yurn Vandal
The graveyard has cameras, alarms on the props.
Disturbing the contents summons the cops."

·
Registered
26 Posts
Great Ideas...Im just decorating the yard and I HATE people walking on my grass (yes Im one of those guys) so I dont expect any kids to be walking through...they can look just dont touch...I'll have the yard taped off so hopefully that'll keep 'em out...My big concern is I live in a very small town and in my neighborhood EVERYBODY within a 50 mile radius comes trick or treating here...Cops even come to direct traffic...Im worried after everybody in the world especially the people who dont live here see all of my stuff they'll come at like 3 am when Im sleeping and mess with my props : /

1 - 13 of 13 Posts