Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of building a hot glue web gun.

cant help but wonder about the rubber cement fan blade type gun.
might be cool to have both.

so any comments from the rubber cement camp?

what type of rubber cement is best to use? (acetone content)
how hard is it to remove from different surfaces?

since it is so portable....
how does it hold up outside?

lastly a source for the fan blade?

·
Registered
910 Posts
From what i've seen (video) and read, the rubber cement cobwebs are easy to apply but a little difficult to remove (but no more so than hot melt glue). They seem to hold up well outside and inside. A source for the fan blade might be air duct blower type fans at say, Home Depot.....the cheap aluminum kind that you could adjust by bending the blades slightly to promote more of a breeze to distribute the webs. There are TONS of how-to's out there, especially on You Tube.....

·
Registered
354 Posts
I suppose that I wouldn't mind building one of these to see the difference. Does anyone have any suggestions on a fan blade that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? This video I found says that he found his for $10 but doesn't say where.

·
Registered
565 Posts

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
I intended to make on of these webbers about 8 or 9 years ago and ordered a couple of fans from Surplus Center. But it looks like they don't carry the metal fans anymore.

I never did make one.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I just found that Grainger carries a variety of fan blades, cheap.

regarding the fumes and flammability.
is that due to thinning out the rubber cement with thinner?
or the glue itself? it is just rubber cement.

I think this method would be best suited for outdoor use anyway.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,745 Posts
The solvent is just for cleanup I believe. The web fluid is already labeled that is is non-flammable. I have the web fluid and it works great In my home made slinger. I just wipe it all out when I am done. the solvent probably makes it easier to clean.

I am guessing the solvent is just something common you can probably buy elsewhere.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The solvent is just for cleanup I believe. The web fluid is already labeled that is is non-flammable. I have the web fluid and it works great In my home made slinger. I just wipe it all out when I am done. the solvent probably makes it easier to clean.

I am guessing the solvent is just something common you can probably buy elsewhere.

Can you tell us what the label says the WEB FLUID is made from ( ingredients / contents ? )

Also , with the hot glue ... pending on where you live , I can tell you that on a "warm" day ... the "cobwebs" made from hot glue get kinda stretchy and don't stay how and where you had them originally ) I used the hot glue to make some webs on the top corner in outhouse for skeletons and at first , they looked SUPER ... but after one warm day .. they drooped BADLY :(

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thats a good point you have.
what spec should I be checking to make sure the fan is blowing away from the mounting nut<

Another thing to conciser if you're looking for fan blades to build your own is the direction they are meant to rotate, yes today most drills today are reversible but that has a way of undoing nuts and bolts if that's what you use to assemble it.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what size fan did you use? 8", 10"?

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,745 Posts
Can you tell us what the label says the WEB FLUID is made from ( ingredients / contents ? )

I cannot. I am not sure if it is even listed on there or not. I am guessing the label was thermal printed. I just pulled it out and can barely read any of it. I have used the web fluid and rubber cement and they are very similar. I am guessing it is just rubber cement with some sort of flame retardent chemicals added.

Also , with the hot glue ... pending on where you live , I can tell you that on a "warm" day ... the "cobwebs" made from hot glue get kinda stretchy and don't stay how and where you had them originally ) I used the hot glue to make some webs on the top corner in outhouse for skeletons and at first , they looked SUPER ... but after one warm day .. they drooped BADLY :(
I used some of these in the rain and they seemed to hold up just fine. PIA to get off of some stuff.

what size fan did you use? 8", 10"?
It is an 8-inch 6 bladed condenser fan. I bought them on Ebay. Very similar to these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/69958-1-MAYTAG-REFRIGERATOR-CONDENSER-MOTOR-FAN-BLADE-/390542269772?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5aee221d4c#ht_506wt_662

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
okay last question Diabolik
which tutorial did you use?

I an reading about issues with the size hole to drill and how many.

but I guess results may vary based on how think the fluid is.
but if I am intending on using the flame resistant pre mixed that you have used . I figure I should use the tutorial that is proven to work with the solution.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts