Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided I wanted to make something a little spooky for the braver trick-or-treaters this year. I have a rather large light up pumpkin that I got in a sale lot and decided it would be perfect - once I spooked it up a bit!

IMG_2066.JPG
Step one was to make the mouth a bit bigger so the kiddos have enough room to stick their hand inside. I also cut a hole in the back for ease of adding candy and other things inside (the hole is also big enough that someone else could have their hand inside to grab the TOT hand)
I spray painted the inside and spot painted the outside to dull it a little

IMG_2067.JPG

Now the fun part - Great Stuff foam!
Smooshed foam all over it (wearing gloves, of course!) I am aiming for a lumpy, stringy, rotting look. This is where I had to stop for tonight to allow for the foam to set.

IMG_2070.JPG

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not going to be quite as cool as yours, but I think the kiddos will have fun with it! Especially when something inside is moving when they reach in! The eyes and mouth will have creepy cloth draped over them so you can't see what is in there!

IMG_2073 [343639].JPG
Got first round of color in. Had to stop since my help was getting a little too enthusiastic with the brushes :) After this dries I will decide where/what color to add next.

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
Love the look of it! Excellent work!!!! Now what you need is some LED's inside triggered on a motion sensor so when the TOT's stick their hands in to reach for the candy, he'll light up! Maybe even have it trigger a sound board with an evil laugh or a chewing sound as the pumpkin bites off the TOT's arm....

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In addition to candy there will be some surprise items they will touch. And there is a hole in the back where a friend will put a black gloved hand inside. If the kiddos touch her hand, she will touch back! The setup will be against the cloth "walls" of my cottage display and she will be on the other side totally hidden from the ToTs.

I hope next year to add something like you mentioned though! Love the idea of a triggered sound - maybe the pumpkin yelling at them as they reach in :) Just ran out of time and funds this year!

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think you did an awesome job! Looks pretty creepy.... I know it would scare the heck out of my kids if they had to stick their hands in there! :D

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the kind words. I wish the pics did it more justice!
It is one of my fav builds I have done - and my testers so far have been reluctant to put their hand inside already (and they are adults lol)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Absolutely incredible

Could you detail the paints and techniques? Well, everything you did but step by step? I'm not creative enough to do it from my own imagination.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Absolutely incredible

Could you detail the paints and techniques? Well, everything you did but step by step? I'm not creative enough to do it from my own imagination.
Sure thing!

1 - I made the mouth on the pumpkin a little bigger to make sure hands could easily get in and out. I only had to cut off a bit of the mouth's top on this style pumpkin. I also cut an access hole in the back to make adding candy easier and to let an assistant put their hand inside for spooks
2 - sprayed as much as I could of the inside with black spray paint and stayed the outside to look mottled. On the outside I was just trying to dull the OMG orange color it was down a bit.
(You can see the first 2 pics on pg 1 to get the idea)
3 - time to get messy! I put on disposable gloves and smooshed Great Stuff all over the pumpkin. With leaving some areas thin and others thicker you get that cool lumpy look. Drips are ok since they make it look even more rotted. You want to make sure foam is over any sharp edges you made when cutting. After this you have to leave it alone for several hours for the foam to set
4 - first coat of paint ! Solid matte black. Try to get in all the cracks and lines as this is your base for the rest. Let it dry totally before the next color
5 - second coat time! I used an deep orange and a grey-green. Predominantly the orange in a mostly dry brush technique. You want to have the black undercoat showing through. I used the grey-green (it was an oops color from Lowes so I don't have the name) in random spots while the Orange was still a bit wet to get a moldding feel.
5 - let it alone for a day for the colors to dry and set. Mine was a bit dark so I went back with the Orange again to highlight the lumpy bits!

The stump was a separate build that I based off one I found here in the forums.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sure thing!

1 - I made the mouth on the pumpkin a little bigger to make sure hands could easily get in and out. I only had to cut off a bit of the mouth's top on this style pumpkin. I also cut an access hole in the back to make adding candy easier and to let an assistant put their hand inside for spooks
2 - sprayed as much as I could of the inside with black spray paint and stayed the outside to look mottled. On the outside I was just trying to dull the OMG orange color it was down a bit.
(You can see the first 2 pics on pg 1 to get the idea)
3 - time to get messy! I put on disposable gloves and smooshed Great Stuff all over the pumpkin. With leaving some areas thin and others thicker you get that cool lumpy look. Drips are ok since they make it look even more rotted. You want to make sure foam is over any sharp edges you made when cutting. After this you have to leave it alone for several hours for the foam to set
4 - first coat of paint ! Solid matte black. Try to get in all the cracks and lines as this is your base for the rest. Let it dry totally before the next color
5 - second coat time! I used an deep orange and a grey-green. Predominantly the orange in a mostly dry brush technique. You want to have the black undercoat showing through. I used the grey-green (it was an oops color from Lowes so I don't have the name) in random spots while the Orange was still a bit wet to get a moldding feel.
5 - let it alone for a day for the colors to dry and set. Mine was a bit dark so I went back with the Orange again to highlight the lumpy bits!

The stump was a separate build that I based off one I found here in the forums.
Thank you sooooo much. Your project is too cool for skewel

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm putting this on the list of "stuff I'd love to do, but time is running short" list. I can see getting this done over the course of a weekend, but I need to figure out if I can spare time from the other 8,273 projects I have going. Looks great, and an AWESOME idea!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts