Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Crunchitize Me Cap'n
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a video I found on YouTube (an amazing site) on how to make a corpse skull. Problem is, this guy uses latex (not readily available to me) so I'm wondering if there is some sort of substitution I can make but still have the same effect?

Here's the video;
YouTube - Corpse Head Tutorial

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Fun tutorial!

Okay, at the end, he mentions the use of thinned white glue, instead of latex.
Additionally, I think you might have luck using latex paint.

Essentially, what you're looking for is something sticky to apply to the skull, and then to the cotton, which will dry hard.

I would recommend a quick trial run on a piece of cardboard - if you have some cottonballs, some glue, some paint, or just some paper mache (I like to use flour and glue with shredded newspaper), make a test patch on the cardboard with each one, and see what results you get.
(this is the kind of test you can do quickly, and will only take a couple of hours to find out what will work best for you)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Also there are a few things you can do with silicone. smear a thin layer of paintable latex silicone on it. The kind for caulking a house. Dab cotton balls on it while it is still sticky. Then in a few hours pull the cotton balls off and paint it up. Should work well, and some grass twine would work well freyed, or burlap freyed, all mixed. Maybe even long so you could tie it up by the hair and make the neck look severed. Hey I may even make one like that.....

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hey! Thats me! I think you can use school glue. I would seal it with something before putting it outside though. You can also look up 'snot rag mache' (I know, it's gross) google it or look on hauntproject.com.

·
Crunchitize Me Cap'n
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could try snot-rag mache. Or even paper mache.
Snot-Rage machine?? Wtf is that? Also, I want something I that isn't going to cost lots. He mentions in the video elmer's glue and water? That's looking like my best, cheapest option.

·
Crunchitize Me Cap'n
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's elmers glue and Kleenex or toilet tissue!

Snot rag Mache

Here is Putrids website. I think he's allergic to latex. He does great work with paper mache!

snot rage mache'
I see. Snot-Rag Mache. I read it wrong. I like the cotton and glue+water look. More fleshy. I'm a week away from Halloween. I'm yet to construct my basic shape for my reaper robes and yet to acquire and corpse-ify a skull and add in some LED's by Cassie7's tutorial on easy lighting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts