Halloween Forum banner

Rotten Pumpkin treat bowl prop

Static: 
17K views 44 replies 26 participants last post by  Forhekset 
#1 ·
I've been building this for a couple of weeks now and just realized I never started a thread here for it! This is an idea I've had for a while for a sensory prop/candy bowl for the kids to reach into to get an extra treat. I wanted it to look gross and intimidating to start with and feel nasty inside, but be clean and dry so as not to stain any little hands or costumes with fake blood or other liquids. What I came up with was using a Koosh ball turned inside out to form a throat that would feel icky. Koosh balls are those soft spiky rubber balls BTW. They feel kinda cold and clammy and the rubber is soft and very flesh like. Originally I wanted to build a zombie head, possibly with eyes that would open when a hand went down it's throat, but since we have a pumpkin patch/cemetery theme going on the wife suggested a smashed pumpkin instead. Easily doable since I already had 90% of the materials on hand. So here is what I have so far. The full album of photos from start to finish is on my facebook page.

Made the throat first

Started out on the pumpkin by carving, splitting, and re-assembling a funkin into an awkward, wide open position.

Made hanging, stretched goo with twine, paper towel, and liquid latex.

Corpsed the pumpkin with spider webbing and latex.

Used Great Stuff to secure the throat and build up some "guts".

Black latex base coat over everything before painting.

Then a coat of oak stain to muddy things up and make it all come together.

Now I have to build a base to mount this to. I'm thinking of making another stump, since that would put it at a good height for the kids to be able to reach in from above. There will be a bowl beneath the pumpkin hidden from view inside the stump, but accessible from the back. Gonna put rubber fingers, bugs and eyeballs in it for the youngsters to find. It will be like an extra little something for those brave enough to stick their hand in.

See less See more
#39 ·
Well poopie. The rubber koosh ball I used for this started falling apart over the past few days. Those of you who are fishermen are probably familiar with what happens to rubber lures that are in contact with plastic over time. Noticed soft spots and holes forming around the parts that were stretched tight the other day. I knew it would eventually happen as rubber does not last forever but I'd hoped it would make it through this year at least. Figures it would hold up great till a month before Halloween, then start falling apart! No biggie though, while working on my pumpkin king I figured out a way to make realistic pumpkin guts from freaky fabric and latex so I've begun surgery to replace the inside out koosh ball with that. It won't be as rubbery and icky feeling, but it will actually look better and more realistic. I've already torn out all the rubber and replaced it with freaky fabric and will be corpsing it with latex tomorrow at the VA Haunters make and take meet-up I'm attending.

The damage...

The repair so far...

#40 ·
Met some fellow local haunters today at the VA Haunters make n take and got the latex worked into the freaky fabric. we were supposed to be corpsing animals, but this needed to get done and I figured since we were corpsing anyways... Best way to do this is to wear a rubber glove, scoop a dollop of latex up with your fingers and rub it in. Gotta get full saturation/coverage for it to look like goo and be paintable. I found a brush to be slow and tedious when I was doing the guys for the pumpkin king. Hand application is way faster and really gets it in there. Let it set for about 4 hours, then I applied another coat to any areas I missed the first time and let them set for a couple of hours. (Speeded up drying time with a hair dryer.) Just finished painting over it with pumpkin orange paint. Tomorrow i'll hit it with the stain and it should all come together. In a way I'm glad the rubber ball failed. It was a good idea because of the texture, but a horrible idea because I KNEW it was going to fail and I would have to replace it. This is far more permanent and looks better, but just won't have that icky cold rubbery feel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.