Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had a rotating Christmas tree stand for about 8 years and it's starting to sputter a bit so I'm getting a new one. The old one still works so I'm thinking of making a prop into it. The trouble I'm having is that I don't know how I could use a one-directional spinning thing. So far I've seen a witch's cauldron (meh), rotating head (gory) and a Spinning Tower of Terror (ghosts outside a spinning drum - meh). As you can see, I'm not too terribly excited about those options so I'm throwing it out to my friends here. What can I do with this old stand?

By the way, it has two electrical outlets so I can add lights or anything else that needs juice. It takes about a minute and a half for a 360 degree rotation.

Here's a video of my Christmas tree in action (pardon the Christmas video...):

[video=youtube;rwWOUXqmQiw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwWOUXqmQiw[/video]

·
Registered
725 Posts
You could do like an excorcist thing. Build a base for the gown, then have a pole / pvc that goes up the middle connecting to your rotating stand on one end and the head on the other.

·
Scarhead Brain Tumor Guy
946 Posts
I think the biggest issue you have with one of these is the speed. They're not built to spin a tree more 1 rpm. As for an Idea, maybe use it as the face of a haunted clock that just keeps spinning.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Terra, I really can't think of anything right now...but did want to comment on how beautiful your tree looks....lol!:)

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bubbels: That's a good idea. I would change it from being Linda Blair to perhaps a corpsed Blucky and his head turns all the way around. I could set a timer where the head turns just once and then stops.

Mr. Unpleasant: That's something I could get into as well. It could be an ever morphing clock face or maybe a portrait, something like that. So there would be a stationary outside container and part of the inside is what's moving.

Scary Rick: I see what you are saying. It could be a spider spinning a cocoon around a victim.

Gromit05: Thanks :) DH hubby calls it the happy tree. We like to pour us a couple glasses of wine and sit and admire the tree and just talk. It has ornaments from significant events on it. What I love about the rotating stand is that it just makes the whole tree glitter and sparkle.

Please keep those wonderful ideas coming. I knew you guys could help me :D

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
ok, don't know if this is a good idea or not. You can make a spoked wheel that will go in one side of a cement pour tube. Attach a center pole to run to other end. Then attach buckies to the outside of roll. You then can do a big firepit rotisseri or, I like this one, a large organ wheel. Put thin wide strips of metal on the top of wheel. Attach them to a large rectangular box or something strange. Then hook up music so it looks like when the metal strips hit different areas it plays eerie music and the roll slowly spins.

·
Registered
395 Posts
How about a carousel of ghosts? Like some kiddy ghouls holding hands playing "ring around the rosie"? You'd have to put some spokes on the stand to space them apart, but the greater diameter will increase the character velocity.

it'd be great if you could find a version of the song where children are singing it with some detuned background piano or something. Creepy....

you could even rig up a pneumatic to have the ghosts collapse (disappear?) on "all fall down"

just a thought...

-dgm

·
Registered
310 Posts
Terra, first I must say that both your Christmas tree and your house are beautiful. You could use just about any motor for these ideas so not sure how they apply to the xmas tree base but here are some thoughts:
1) use the motor upside down and hang a "skeleton in a cage" from it. I guess it would be slightly more exciting than the static version.

2) use it sideways to turn a barrel of some kind (think of one of those trailer-hitch cement mixers) and create a barrel that has one side made of plexiglass and then fill it with fake blood and some skull parts so every time it came around to the glass portion you saw the blood and skulls floating in the barrel...but that would be really disgusting so probably not appropriate for an urban setting.

3) use it sideways connected to a large "spit" (like you would roast a pig) over a fake fire and place a skelly (or some other disgusting thing) instead of a pig over the fire and have it slowly turning. It would be hilarious if you could use a 3-axis skull setup and make it say corny jokes while it spins - "does anyone smell something burning?"

4) forget halloween - make another beautiful Christmas tree and have one out in the front yard for the neighbors to enjoy.

·
Magic Man (Taken)
725 Posts
You could build a two sided prop... one side realistic person.... the other skeleton. The only big drawback is getting two sets of clothes and attaching them together, then distressing/aging the skeleton/zombie side.

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh wow! You all are so wonderful with the ideas. :)

theedwin: I just ordered my rotating tree stand from here, haven't received it yet but the order should be fine. It says it's the same one as my old one: Amazon.com: Rotating Artificial Tree Stand - 8’: Home & Garden

Merlyn67: First of all welcome to the forum. I honored to be your first post. Plus your idea is fantastic! The idea of the man/skeleton is really cool. I could add in some strobe lights to disorientate the viewer as well.

Creepy Crawler: I wonder if I change the chasing witches to perhaps a werewolf chasing a victim. Hmmmm.

azdude: The cement barrel would be terrific for someone with an R-rated haunt but perhaps I could change it up by making a Plexiglas cylinder around it, have a alien or zombieish thing in it and fill it with fog and strobe lights. That could be coool!

Mark Goodson and dodgonemad: DH hubby really liked this idea. The lopsided carousel with scary things on it would be fascinating and the younger kids would like it a lot. I could put in at the start of the driveway for the younger ones who are too afraid to go into the haunt.

Growler: This I like as well. I was thinking of taking the wheel idea and making it a spinning wheel of torture. The trick is to not make it gory. Like I could strap a corpsed Blucky on it. I saw something like this at Kevin's haunt (Brewster's haunt). It looked really good.

Now I've got a full list of possibilities for this stand. Thank you all so much. I'm going to noodle this around in my head over the next couple of days and decide which of these options would work the best for me. Thanks again, you all did not disappoint :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks Terra,

But a bit spendy for what I am looking for.. I will keep it in mind if I hit the JACKPOT tho.

Thanks again!

E

·
Registered
152 Posts
Gallows?

Maybe you could build a Gallows, and mount the rotation base upside down from the top, and have your hanging victim dangling there in circles? not sure of the construction... but just putting in my two cents :)

·
Hauntless
8,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Diabolik: Thanks for the additional idea. A rocking skellie in a chair always freaked me out when I was a kid.

lonerogue2: Surprisingly, I built a gallows two Halloweens ago and it upset a black neighbor of mine (wasn't intentional at all) so I'm gonna stay away from controversial things like that. But I could have a rotating vampire/bat guy...

Here's another that azdude and Mr. Unpleasant got me thinking about and I found a video of a prop that really appeals to me:

Then, diggerc gave me an awesome idea to go along with it, use distraction! So, I'd build this with a vampire larval thing in it and then as they are peering into the Plexiglass, I'd make a large knock against it or have something pop out from the side! That should scare the kiddies royally :p. What do you all think of this idea?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well you've got a low rpm, high torque motor. The most obvious choice would be a repeating motion anamatronic figure. Those animated figures you see in malls around christmas time all run on a single low rpm, high torque motor. The motion is converted from turning to the animation via a series of cams and linkages. Once you determine what you want the animation to be it really isn't that hard. Christmas reindeer are the simplest examples, they take a slow rotating motor and convert the motion to left and right via a simple linkage system. Because you have a very hefty motor, you would be able to make something impressively large/and or heavy move.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts