Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did some early "haunt" shopping at ROSS this weekend. I'll post photos later this weekend.

Found a matching "silver electroplated" tiger head wall plaque to go with the one I found there last year, 8.99. Now I have a pair. Last year I located a pair of the female lion heads in the same material, 7.99. Two thoughts on using these--as attachments to the front of arm chairs to become royal thones chairs in my Egyptian tomb room or to attach as ornamentation on my circus big cats wagon cage. I was shocked to find a larger male lion head wall plaque in the same material today for a few dollars more, 12.99. First time seeing that. Nice mane on it. Perfect for my circus lion exhibit cage (have a lion mask from Halloween Asylum for that prop ).

Also bought two safari animal masks (head wall plaques as well), 7.99. One a zebra-like face and the other a giraffe. They have cut out eye slots and thinking about adding lighting inside of the voids.

Noticed ROSS got back in this really nice rhinoceros head wall plaque again. I bought one last year to go in my Tomb robbers shack. It's always interesting to see what comes back into the store from the previous year. I've been to 3 different ROSS' this weekend and saw duplicates among the stores, actually was looking for a matching pair of glass coffee mugs I liked but I know when you see stuff you can use it will be gone next time your in if you hold off.

Last thing I added was a microfiber jungle print throw. Was debating on this or just picking up some fabric or faux fur jungle print fabric at Joann's. I'll see what else is out there but it's probably a keeper.

I'm starting to see some Egyptian-related busts and such, and large pink flamingos (for skelemingo projects) in the stores. Lots of faux candle battery lanterns and sconces.

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spookie what is your theme this year?
I haven't decided yet. Pretty sure it won't be carnival yet this year. Possibly mad lab if the weather isn't looking that great on Halloween night and I need to be under a covered area and/or I haven't completed my other facades. Otherwise maybe tomb robber or Skull Island jungle theme. Skull Island and carnival I'd like to do as a walk around along our house's perimeter. Tomb robber could be expanded full yard too if I have enough stuff ready, like jumping spiders, snakes, maybe giant ant mound, scorpions, crocodile, my trapped kicking legs explorer. It could be scaled for just the front yard though. I'm kind of leaning Tomb robber right now if I get the tomb panels walls done this summer. I bought a cool gold latex anubis from a HF member a few years back and want to use it in the tomb room and I probably have enough Egyptian-like booty collected now.

So here are a few pics from my recent ROSS visits.

I bought these last year in gold. Silver seems to be the new color...maybe next year it will be bone color? I know people liked them but not so much in gold. 7.99 each

I bought this guy last year and he's back again. I just love his detail. Plan to set up a scene with an explorer/researcher's hut and have the head on display on a wall of the hut. Maybe hang a pith helmut off of the horn. He'd go well in my Egyptian tomb theme being an African savannah animal.

I liked these wall mounted masks. Decent amount of room in the eye area. 7.99 each.

The male lion wall mount plaque is new to my stores, 12.99. Tiger, 8.99. My album from last year has the female lion head that I'm still seeing in the stores this year as well.

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guess this was the weekend for ROSS shopping. Stopped in at a different location after dinner and found this spotted cat throw. Perfect for my safari or jungle themed stuff. And it was on clearance for only 6.49. Never know what you will find. Still looking for that matching set of coffee mugs though LOL.

·
Headless Hessian
1,056 Posts
Guess this was the weekend for ROSS shopping. Stopped in at a different location after dinner and found this spotted cat throw. Perfect for my safari or jungle themed stuff. And it was on clearance for only 6.49. Never know what you will find. Still looking for that matching set of coffee mugs though LOL.

I wonder if I can turn that throw into the semblance of a coat for Cruella DeVille? That's an awesome price compared to finding a real white fur.

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's an interesting idea Frogkid. Assume you are referring to the white/gray one next to it. I don't know about the throw to the left but the one I bought was fully lined with a very soft black faux fur lining too. I was shocked to take it home (they gave me the hanger rack as well) and take if off the hanger to find out how nice it was.

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Revisited a previous location hoping to find another Male lion head for my carnival/circus theme and found one. BTW I'm only finding one of these per store so far. This time I found the lion with a smaller female lion head. Last time it was the Tiger head.

The male lion is really nice and has great relief. Here are a couple of closeups.

One thing I've noticed at all my locations are those 3D letters. Many I'm seeing now are lit using a battery compartment. Here are two kinds I found yesterday. The black lettering was 9.99 each, metal ones were I think 13+. If you are thinking of making your own, I took photos of where they put an On/Off switch and the battery compartment. If I could have found the black that spelled out something like TICKETS or ENTER, I might have considered buying instead of making. But the cost per letter adds up quickly so will probably make my own. Hope there are someTutorials on this. However, somehow whenever I price out making projects like this the cost ends up more than I thought :p

I also found some party dresses (size 3/4 junior) I thought my circus act ladies might look good in. Frilly netting material. 9.99. I can't find nice stuff like this at my Goodwill for less than that. And for $10 nicer than the material on most costumes.

Lots of inexpensive lanterns and wall sconces with faux battery operated candles in them.

Halloween props and decor should start appearing late July or sometime in August based on past shopping photos.

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stopped in ROSS and found another large silver plated Lion head like the ones I found back in February. Only 1 on the shelf, and this time didn't see any other big cats there (smaller lioness or tiger). I wonder if these wall hangers are only going to be of big cats...ie. not gorillas, etc. In any event if you looked before for one in your store, might be time to check again.

I also saw a few of The Walking Dead action figures (9.99, reg. 15). I don't watch the show but recognize one of them from a toy website as Hershel Greene (series 6) with the two crutches.

·
Halloween Nut
2,942 Posts
I wonder if I can turn that throw into the semblance of a coat for Cruella DeVille? That's an awesome price compared to finding a real white fur.
Sure you could. Just use it like any other fabric. Do you sew? If so, are you using a pattern?

·
Registered
14,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stop in another ROSS today and found another large silver male lion wall hanger. They are definitely out there. Not much else in the way of garden statues yet.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts