Halloween Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

So we've been putting up cold steel rods with pumpkin lights hot glued to the top of each rod for a make shift fence but the lights keep suffering from blackouts making it hard to keep up with the bad lights.

So I've been thinking about going rope lights but dont know which ones are quality but most importantly, how could I mount them to the top of my steel rods. Is this also a job for hot glue or are they simply too heavy?

A shot of our setup last year.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,677 Posts
By cold steel rods, do you mean rebar? If so, use zip ties. Rebar has grooves in it so a zip tie pulled snugly would hold rope lighting near the top of each rod.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
By cold steel rods, do you mean rebar? If so, use zip ties. Rebar has grooves in it so a zip tie pulled snugly would hold rope lighting near the top of each rod.
No they are solid. I guess I could drill a hole in each one but that would take a while.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,389 Posts
Okay, time to complicate things, so here I come with a suggestion.

Cut up some 1/2 inch PVC pipe into 3 inch lengths.
On one end, cut some notches to hold the rope light.
About half way down, run a screw / bolt / metal pin through the middle.
Paint the whole thing black.
Slip the un-notched end over your metal rod, then lay the rope light into the notches. The screw / bolt / metal pin should keep it from slipping down the rod.
If you need to secure the rope lights to the PVC further, drill a hole through the PVC and slip a zip tie through, securing the rope light in place.

This would be re-usable, adjustable, and work on your existing metal poles.

Complication completed!

·
Undertaker
3,269 Posts
I make an inner fencemade out of rebar, 1” PVC, plastic chain, string lights and zip ties. I pound a piece of re-bar into the ground. Icut pieces of 1” inch PVC cut to pole height. I drill a 3/8” inch hole thru thetop of the pole. I use black zip ties to secure plastic chain together and fastenedthe chain to the top of the PVC. I wrap orange strings lights around the chainand its done.......

It looks like a real fence with lights strung on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts