Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any ingenious ways of attaching things to your roof without putting holes in it? (nails/screws). I have a couple props I want to attach to my roof but I don't want to put any holes in it and thus obviously leaving it accessible to moisture/water. Any ideas???

·
Registered
955 Posts
Pvc

I have a reindeer display I put on the peak of my Garage roof. I made a tripod kind of stand. It is about 10 feet long with 8 legs that extend down from the peak 4 each side. I made it so I can disassemble it for storage. I used PVC compression joints to connect the individual sections. I use bungy cords to hold down the unit. I have a California Hacienda style home with tile, so there is a gap under the roofcaps to attach the bungy cords. If you have a shingle roof, then the challenge is harder. You could mount some eye bolts under the eave and another set on the opposite side of the roof. Then run some nylon cord from the eye bolts up over the roof to the other set of eye bolts. Some big heavy springs somewhere along the lines to deal with any stretch. Put some loops in the nylon where you intend to mount your prop, and use them as anchors for your prop. The nylon line is going to need to be very tight and strong. I am talking about 500 lb test at least. I would use a garage door spring for the tension and to set the tension I would get one of those rachet tie downs. Kind truckers use to tie down loads. Make sure you use BIG EYE bolts. Pre drill the hopefully 2X6 stringer you screw them into. Another option I just thought of is to get some stringer brackets. They would provide more support and you could drill a hole in them and mount an eye bolt to each. One other consideration is if you have rain gutters. You will need to fashion some kind of guide for the cord to protect the gutter from being crushed.

Good luck.

Spinman

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
The spider I made is designed for the roof. The base is wood with dark carpet under it so it will not hurt the shingles. Then there is pvc attached to the wood for the uprights. The bolts are put on before the carpet of course. The carpet is hot glued to the wood. There is also eye bolts at the rear that attach to rope. The rope is run over the peak of the roof and tied at the on sight viewing side. Works great from what I can tell. Also very low weight.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, appreciate the info. I will probably try attaching it somehow with rope or strong fishing line and drag over the top of the roof to the back yard where nobody can see the attachment point. Again, thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts