Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for those on the forum that have built a version of the Rocking Granny.
I built the ScareFX version and she works great!
But you know how rocking chairs kind of "move" or "walk" as they rock? Does anyone know a way to keep the chair from doing that?
I'd love to put granny outside on the sidewalk and just let her run all day, but last Halloween night I had to stop her and drag her chair back into position quite often. Probably about every 20 minutes. She does rock with quite a bit of force from the wiper motor.
There may not be a solution to this problem, but I figured I would never know unless I ask.

Thanks!

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,740 Posts
I have the Distortions Rocking Granny and I had the same problem. Since we use her in our front bay window on a raised platform, I couldn't very well have her walking. I mounted a piece of 1 inch PVC across the rails of the rocking chair using 2 metal conduit clamps to keep it in place. On my platform I made 2 upright wood blocks out of 1x4 with a "V" shape cut into them that has a rounded bottom in the V for the pipe to sit in. Works perfectly for keeping her in line.

D.

granny.jpg

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, Diabolik!
I don't really exactly understand how your solution works. Is the chair still able to rock with the PVC sitting in the "V" grooves of the wood pieces? The PVC doesn't end up binding against the sides of the wood?

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,740 Posts
Sorry Dave, I guess a picture would help.;) I am in process of building up Granny in the window, so good timing. You can see the "V" shaped holders on either end. You can also see that I added a mounting block 6 inches long (piece of 2x2) at the same angle as the chair rails. This setup works perfectly. This prop ran every night for a month last year without an issue. We have her up on a platform so she can be fully seen from the road.

I hope this helps.

chair rails 2.jpg
chair rails.jpg

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ohhhhh---OK, now I got it! Thanks for the additional pics, Diabolik! I see exactly how it works now.
That's an ingeneous solution and I think that will work for me ! Much thanks!

Sid_Matthew-- Thanks for the pic! That looks like another great option for fixing my problem. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have a question for those on the forum that have built a version of the Rocking Granny.
I built the ScareFX version and she works great!
But you know how rocking chairs kind of "move" or "walk" as they rock? Does anyone know a way to keep the chair from doing that?
I'd love to put granny outside on the sidewalk and just let her run all day, but last Halloween night I had to stop her and drag her chair back into position quite often. Probably about every 20 minutes. She does rock with quite a bit of force from the wiper motor.
There may not be a solution to this problem, but I figured I would never know unless I ask.

Thanks!
Man I was just about to search for how to resolve this problem with my distortions Lullaby prop. Great minds think alike Dave :)

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Interesting problem. I built a rocking "Unkle Ebeneezer" this year using the ScareFX instrux as a guide. I haven't had him running more than 10 minutes at a time, so haven't noticed any creep...besides the one in the chair, that is. ;) I'll have to let him go for a while and see what happens. In any case thanks to the folks who posted solutions!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I made a set of rails on top of a 1/4" board for the rocking chair to rock within, so that it doesn't veer off to the left or right. Were you all having a problem with the rocking chair actually moving forwards slowly or moving side to side? I guess I could add a piece of wood at the front of the rails to prevent the chair from going past that point but still staying within the rails I created.

·
Keeper of Spider Hill
1,740 Posts
I made a set of rails on top of a 1/4" board for the rocking chair to rock within, so that it doesn't veer off to the left or right. Were you all having a problem with the rocking chair actually moving forwards slowly or moving side to side? I guess I could add a piece of wood at the front of the rails to prevent the chair from going past that point but still staying within the rails I created.
Jottle, mine was moving forward and to the right, even on carpet. It might have a lot to do with the chair also. I found mine at a local Goodwill. It is very creaky and loose. I even drilled a couple of holes in Granny's base plate and screwed her right to the chair for good measure. :)

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think my chair was moving backwards. LOL
I guess the chairs all have their own personalities.....

I haven't tried the fix yet. I'm hoping to have time for this Halloween. If not, next year for sure.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just wanted to say "thanks" to Diabolik for his solution to my problem. I built a similar platform for my Rocking Granny and it worked like a charm. Also by using the platform, I was able to put Granny anywhere in the yard I wanted and not have her restricted to the sidewalk. Just had to level it with some wood scraps to make her rock steady.
Thanks again for a solution to my problem! (Oh, I used 3/4" PVC on my chair instead of 1".)

Video of Granny in action:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts