Halloween Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey There

Well this will be our first attempt at an animated prop. To keep it simple we chose to do a "Rocking Granny". This will be my first time using a wiper motor so I may have a lot of questions for the experts out here. The plan is to keep it under a budget of $150 and this was out first purchase a really creepy looking rocker from Kijij paid $20

·
Registered
449 Posts
Nice! We really enjoy our rocking granny. We followed these instructions: http://www.scarefx.com/project_rockin_granny_2.html

Be aware that the prop needs a firm, flat surface to work properly. Otherwise it loses too much energy and doesn't rock well. One year we tried it on a "front porch" we built for our creepy farm theme, and even though it seemed rock solid to us, the wood bent just enough that she barely moved. Disappointing. Also, the prop will gradually wiggle away from where you place it, so it placement is very important, figure out some tethering or guide rail system.

Here's our rocking granny:

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks all great points. we plan to put it on our front cement porch so hopefully that will suffice. tethering is also a good point i wonder what the best method would be to lose the least amount of momentum in the chair rocking. BTW your granny looks awesome!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update starting building the frame and motor mount basically copying the scarefx layout, so far I've spent approx 100 on everything just need to go to the pick and pull this weekend and grab a wiper motor for 15 bucks. I got the legs from the dollar store I picked up arms as well but I decided to get some more realistic ones from spirit with a coupon

·
Registered
449 Posts
Just a questions what's the best way to make this night gown looks. Dirty and scary lol
We like to spray it with some gray/brown craft paint mixed with water in a spray bottle. Spray it on, rub it in, rub some dirt on it for good measure, and you're done! Add some rips or tears if the spirit moves you.

Nice start to your build, BTW. Are your legs taped on? You'll definitely need something stronger to keep them in place. We drilled small holes near the edge of the PVC and put zip ties through the top of the leg and then then through the holes in the PVC. It will look awful but the clothes will cover it. Once you have everything built and tested, consider gluing the PVC pieces together. We had limbs fly off of ours on Halloween night from the force of the constant rocking.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hey skelly did you use like a krylon type paint ? Or something different
The craft paint we use is just stuff from Michaels - I checked my craft drawer and we have bottles of Apple Barrel, Americana, and Folk Art brands. Hubby just mixes them as he sees fit.

Tea staining is nice for all-over dinginess. Try some coffee staining for extra darkness (or toss some coffee grounds on the damp fabric after you've taken it out of the tea bath, and you'll get some dark blotches and streaks).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Starting on the upper body today have some adjusting to do as well as some filling out to do with the torso and shoulders etc. But anyway on with the pics note the right arm wasn't installed in the pictures

·
Registered
449 Posts
It looks great so far! Don't know if you have plans for the head yet but our method was simple and effective. Paint the front of a female wig head black (this gives nice, creepy black eye sockets - trust me, it's great). Take an old woman mask and attach it to the wig head with T-pins. Paint everything on the wig head that still shows a color that matches the mask. Add an old lady wig. You'll need a plus-sign (4-way) connector on the PVC between the shoulders - basically, you're making a neck. Add a short length of PVC coming out the top side of the 4-way connector. Slide the wig head onto the PVC, widening the hole in the wig head if needed. Once it looks like you want it to, take the wig head off, add glue all over the short length of PVC, and slide the wig head back over it.

I can't wait to see your finished product!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys ,

I basically had exactly what you mentioned for the head in mind, what I used was a black wig and a cheap 5 dollars doll face type mask on a wig head looks more "the grudge" then an old lady but I think not being able to really see her face makes it much more scarier

I still have some fine tuning to do to make the shoulders look less like a line backer and then its time to start wiring on the motor

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.