Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Typical Ghoul Next Door
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping Otaku sees this... :D

I've got a lovely adult sized rocker that is over 40 years old, not antique, but enough age on it to sort of look like one.

I want to have it rock gently, scaring the crap out of any TOTs or party guests that happen to notice it. I want to have the actual chair empty and covered with dust cobwebs.

The cobwebs and aging I can handle, the motor setup I need help with.

I saw Otaku's rocking chair - creepy little girl skelly (awesome!), but I'm not quite sure how the motor attaches to the linkages to the chair.... the video I found cuts out right as he moves to the motor area.

I don't want to do the scary-terry version where he uses a lawn chair, I want to hook a motor to my rocker. It's not a big deal to drill a few holes or anything on this either.

So Otaku or anyone that has a simple way to do this (and extra credit is given for any way to do this with the motor/mounting out of sight so it's really not obvious)

Thanks! :D

Blaberus craniifer
Just attach a small motor to one of the legs with a cam and just have it push off the floor a little each time it comes around causing the chair to lean back.

B锚te noire
Hi FG,
I'll take some pics of the chair linkage in the next couple of days and post them for you. I'm not sure that my linkage will work with a full size rocker, though. I have seen a neatly done linkage for a full size rocker somewhere - I'll see if I can find it for you.

Typical Ghoul Next Door
Discussion Starter #5
THANK YOU Otaku!!!

I did several searches over the last couple of days, and kept striking out - the link you posted is pretty darn near perfect for what I want... you are awesome! :D

(and thanks, Pod for the info too - I'm one of those mechanically challenged folks that has to see pics - LOTS of pics :rolleyes: to get any sort of clue on how to put stuff like this together. :) )

B锚te noire
No problem, FG. The way I attached the motor on my chair was to use a central wood shaft (1" X 1") with a hole drilled in one end to attach the motor linkage. This minimized the tendency of the chair to rotate while rocking. I still got a bit of rotation, though, so I used a small bungie cord to anchor the central bar to the board that the chair sits on. The bungie is located close to the center of the rocker, so it doesn't pull the chair in any direction or interfere with the rocking motion - it just holds the chair snugly against the base board. You'll see how this works when I get the pictures for you.

B锚te noire
FG,
I have pics and video - I don't have a good .jpg editor on this machine, so I'll post everything in the morning.

Typical Ghoul Next Door
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Otaku for the pics and video - it all makes sense now! :)

I have a couple of antique china dolls that I think I may try out in the chair once I get this built... :D

Evil Lord of Legumes
Looks great, Otaku! My wife procured a rocking chair through Freecycle and has informed me that I will be making on of these for the front porch this year. This really helps!

I have a question: is the motor you used an auto wiper motor? If so, what make/model is it from? I like the speed that you have it set at. Did you use 12V DC?

B锚te noire
I'm using the wiper motor from Monster Guts - great company to do business with.

B锚te noire

Typical Ghoul Next Door
Discussion Starter #13
I'm using the wiper motor from Monster Guts - great company to do business with.

Electric Motors for Props - 12VDC Wiper Motor - Halloween Prop Building Supplies For The Home Haunter - Monster Guts - Wiper Motors for Haunting Needs

For the rocker, I used a 5VDC supply and the motor is set for slow speed. Get the Quick Connect cable for the motor, very useful for attaching the power supply.

Sorry for the double post - hit the button too soon...
I love Monster Guts! I bought one of those a couple of years ago and bugged the poor guy to death and he was nothing but polite and helpful!

Typical Ghoul Next Door
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I have an update...

I attached my wiper motor to a piece of masonite for stability, attached a screw/washer to one of the rocker pieces and used a piece of wire from a hanger (with the ends bent round the motor's arm and attached to the screw on the rocker).

I am getting a bit of hesitation/bounce because the wire isn't staying stiff enough. My hubby thinks it is fine, but I'm going to cut a piece of aluminum and make a new arm, and a second piece to be a replacement for the wire so I can eliminate the hesitation in the motion.

Devilishly Dutch
Hubbys always think its fine. I think you are right to want to get rid of the hesitation.
And what's up with you and motorized props? I thought you were the graphics queen? :D

Lookin good!

MsM

B锚te noire
Cool, FG! I agree, tightening up the linkage will get that hesitation out. Excellent addition to your haunt!

sasquatch
Otaku has a good set up. Monster guts has whiper moters at reasonabnle prices so look them up.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts