Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mistress of Mayhem
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WOO HOO !!! It's finished and I love it. When it's on the front porch, the lighting will be dark, so the bungee underneath as well as the board out the back won't be visible.

BIG thanks to Otaku for helping me figure this one out. And my neighbor who saved me from throwing the whole gig in the middle of the street and running it over with my car about a thousand times. (Yes, I am somewhat prop-challenged.) LOL

YouTube - rocking chair

·
Mistress of Mayhem
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can alter the speed by moving the linkage to a different hole in the wood that is attached under the chair. The farthest hole makes it go slower because it's traveling a longer distance. This is the setting I liked the best. My neighbor drilled about five holes in the wood and I have it set at the farthest hole away from the chair. The motor is running off a 5-volt power supply.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Excellent work! And I was also wondering about the rocking speed - have you tried the other speed available on the motor (I don't know which setting you're using).

·
Mistress of Mayhem
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys ! I evidently had it on the high speed. (Otaku had to help me figure that out too. ROFL)

I tried it on the lower speed, but cannot tell the difference at all.
I could try to mess with the positions of the holes on the wood, though I gotta admit - I have seen enough of this rocking chair for awhile. :eek:

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Looks great! Very creepy! Glad you didn't throw it into the street and run it over :)

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,282 Posts
AWESOME job! Love the aging you did!:cool:

I'm setting my haunted rocker in a spare room with a tinkly music box and red light... :D

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
great job love it.....the chair also looks very good distressed like that :)

did you use a 12 v wiper motor on this ? we been trying to do this project for a week with a recycled dayton motor we had and cannot get it done (we are electronicly prop challenged too ;) ) .... am thinking of just ordering a wiper motor and stop trying to make the dayton work....

·
The thing under the bed
631 Posts
WOW!! that looks great. After this year I am going to try my hand with animated props and this one is a must.. Love it!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
That is really cool! I've been wanting to build one of these for a long time. Great job!!!

·
Mistress of Mayhem
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks again everyone. Witch From Canada ~ This is what I ordered because I knew I wouldn't be able to figure out how to wire anything. LOL Motor & Power Pack I got the 5volt power supply.

I think the distressing was my favorite part - no frustration with that aspect of the prop and it was pretty funny to see the look on people's faces as they walked by and I was jigsawing and hammering away at the poor chair.
:D My neighbors think I am crazy anyway - I am sure that just confirmed their suspicions.

·
Crawling in my skin
2,236 Posts
Rock on!!!!!! That turned out great. Oh everyone is so talented!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Great prop! I know what it's like to be prop challenged, but you pulled through! I wish I had a bigger place so I could do this prop too.

·
Registered
273 Posts
anywhere else I can get that motor? It says it wont be shipping with the gold plate attached... also...any detailed instructions?

·
Mistress of Mayhem
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know some people just go to a local auto junk yard and pull their own. As far as instructions go, I just looked at the pictures posted by other people. For me, the most important lesson I learned was to connect the motor so that it was centered to the chair. When I tried to attach it to just one leg, the chair pulled to that one side.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts