Halloween Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may recall, last year I had the good fortune of teaming up with fellow haunter and forum member lewlew on a collaborative haunt. It was an epic success, and there was little doubt we would attempt it again this year.
Here is a thread to last year's build; http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/139958-roads-end-eerie-manor-haunt.html

Last week we began the mock up of the structure for this years theme, which, while yet to be named, will be haunted carnevil/freakshow/scary clown thing.

The main building is 12 x 24. We re-configured the layout of the halls and added two new drop panels which will be in the main room, triggered by actors standing outside the back wall of the haunt. WE plan to put mirror film on at least one of them to grab guest's attention. The bang they make when dropped in tandem, is shuddering! The other halls zig zag and will contain a variety of circus freaks (Wolf Boy, Elephant man, Snake Lady) as well as another drop panel, compressed air scare and a window slam scare. It takes less than three minutes to walk through but seems like you're in there for 10. Our progress to date shows the back portion of the structure up, and the two new drop panels. We have the wolf boy cage and window slam scare framed in. We'll hope to finish the main build on our next work day, and then everything gets a fresh coat of paint along with some circus motif designs in some rooms. We are working out sound tracks for the various rooms and have begun assembling a nice collection of circus props and masks thanks to some great haunters who were parting with some of their stuff. We'll have a cast of 14-17 actors to make it all come together and we're securing commitments from people now. Most of last year's cast are eager to return. Thanks for tuning in and we'll post updates as they develop.

The original floor plan sketch. There have been a few modifications

The structure to date

Drop panels closed

and open

couple of our scare actors cutting out the panels (that's lewlew in the middle)

a pic of the structure from last year. It will be identical except for the bump out in front, which will be replaced by a sideshow barker's platform

a few of the characters guests will encounter on the big night

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! This is a whole new avenue for us. I've never done a circus/clown theme. The idea came from my son who suggested it after watching American Horror Story "Freak Show." We're starting from scratch as far as props, costuming, masks, etc but it's coming together nicely. Having built the structure last year, we only have to rework the halls and scares. We'll also be replacing the front yard cemetery with an arcade theme; three "booths" with circus character attendants. so much more but I'll wait to post updates as they come together. Can't wait for our second build date!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I know it will be hard for you to put away your great looking cemetery, but a change can help keep you interested. My wife has mentioned keeping all of our full size witches in storage this year and concentrating more on the clowns.

I think people burnout because either they get bored or they grow their haunt beyond a hobby level into a second job. I think going to clowns and having LewLew's help will prevent boredom and stress from setting in.

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know it will be hard for you to put away your great looking cemetery, but a change can help keep you interested. My wife has mentioned keeping all of our full size witches in storage this year and concentrating more on the clowns.

I think people burnout because either they get bored or they grow their haunt beyond a hobby level into a second job. I think going to clowns and having LewLew's help will prevent boredom and stress from setting in.
I agree. Having another experienced haunter to collaborate with is a dream come true. I know had it not been for Mark (lewlew), I would have downsized big time last year and likely not ramped up again. Fresh ideas make it fun and interesting. We are both very detail oriented and a big part of the fun is setting the scenes just right and making distractions for the main scares. I think we may be in this for one more year at our home before we attempt something on a larger more public scale (hint hint) but time will tell. If that ever happens, I'll set up a nice front yard display for Halloween and be happy with it. As far as the cemetery, i'll miss putting it up. It's always been a staple of Eerie Manor, and seeing all the tombstones in the garage and knowing I won't be putting them out is kind of weird but they'll be back again. Looking forward to this new direction!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts