Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a request in another thread for some more info on how I made my Rising Spirits, so i thought I'd do an informal "how-to"

There are many things about the making of this prop that can easily be adapted to other ideas. Two of the biggies are corpsing with latex and pantyhose ad free-form armature building.

short list of materials used:
3/4 inch pvc
some sort of flexible tubing , such as vinyl water line.
a skull ( I used urethane skull that i cast in a mold)
hands ( I made mine with greatstuff in a biglots plastic skeletal hand)
screws, tape, or other fasteners
greatstuff
liquid latex
pantyhose
paint

procedure:

bend a piece of pvc using a heat gun or torch ( do this outdoors with plenty ov ventilation) Go for a spiral shape with nice long flowing lines.

Attach a skull. I used gratstuff to attach it to the pvc, but you could hotglue, screw, or use any other method...

Make a ribcage using the flexible hose. At this point, there is no need for a highly detailed ribcage...just try for the general form. I attached the ribs to the pvc with screws.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Add arms and hands. you can either use the flexible hose with wire inside if you want poseable arms, or just use pvc if you do not need to pose them later.

wrap the pvc and arms loosely with flexible hose. Go for a stringy muscular look with the hose...too tighltly wrapped does not look as natural. Attach with screws, tape, zipties, or whatever is necessary to hold the hose where you want it.

spray the entire armature with greatstuff to texture it...While the greatrstuff is curing, break it up with a brush, stick , etc to make the texturing smaller. This step is not necessary, but adds in a nice texture later.

Spray paint the entire thing black

to be continued...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cover the entire armature with pantyhose. I chose black for this project, but other colors work fine depending on what final look you are going for.

cut holes in the panty hose. Go for a corpsed skin look with lots of shreds and tears.

Brush the entire armature with liquid latex and allow to dry.

highlight the exposed 'bone' areas with acrylic paints. Drybrush the pantyhose to add color depth and interest.

The original pair of spirits I made were designed to be mounted over a piece of rebar. Subsequent spirits have been made like groundbreakers or as flying spirits that I hang fron tree limbs.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Another great & imaginative piece of art, Dave.

Thanks for the brilliantly detailed tutorial as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great tutorial and amazing piece! This is a technique that I can use to make many things. Thank you for sharing.
Oh yes...it is a very versatile construction method. Once you get used to bending and wrapping the pvc, the basic method is limitless.
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m240/davethedead/thestral/thestral042.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m240/davethedead/Sid/Sid043.jpg
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m240/davethedead/banshee/spirit20029.jpg

The pantyhose corpsing is also fantastic over buckies and skulls.
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m240/davethedead/IMG_1805.jpg

·
Registered
591 Posts
thank you very much for the tutorial I have wanted to do some of these for a while.this tut is much clearer than the the one you have elsewhere.Now I get it.So I'm going to HD tues.how much water hose should I at least have on hand for one of these?also I have some PVC type black irragation hose I have been saving for this project would this work as either the pvc or somewhere else in it?it's about 1.25"DIA thick wall.I'm stoked to do this one

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank you very much for the tutorial I have wanted to do some of these for a while.this tut is much clearer than the the one you have elsewhere.Now I get it.So I'm going to HD tues.how much water hose should I at least have on hand for one of these?also I have some PVC type black irragation hose I have been saving for this project would this work as either the pvc or somewhere else in it?it's about 1.25"DIA thick wall.I'm stoked to do this one
DWD, there is no right or wrong on a project like this...use whatever supplies you have access to and give it your own unique twist. I have seen a version of the spirits done using metal electrical conduit as the spine, and I have seen a couple versions where the makers actually animated the effect on some sort of turntable base. Don't sweat the fine details...take the basic concept and run with it!

·
The Hobo Spider Assassin
6,111 Posts
Dave...love it and thanks fortaking the time to post this how to! Exactly a look I was trying to achieve but as Dixie said, don't know if my mind would have stretched far enough to see it come together as you have laid it out here! Simply, "Wow!"

·
Banned
101 Posts
LOVE all those . Any chance of getting another pic or two of SID ? That prop looks VERY interesting and would like to see different angle of it .

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOVE all those . Any chance of getting another pic or two of SID ? That prop looks VERY interesting and would like to see different angle of it .

Sid was assembled he same way as the spirits...pvc framework with flexible hose as the musculature, then pantyhose coated in latex for the skin.
Here's a few in process pix.
More info here

1 - 20 of 46 Posts