Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To get you up to speed, we are doing for the third time, a large haunted house for our town. We have an old cool looking "Depot". Used to be a place where trains dropped off products back in the day. We will have 7 evenly spaced "haunt rooms" Each room is 20 X 17 feet and will flow into each other. In other words, you enter one, waking through and then exit, which is the entry to the next room. My room will be a pirates of the Caribbean room. Attached is my plan. Walking in, you will see a rotting skeleton in a hammock with props, and a REAL person in pirate gear. Then you will see real whiskey barrels in the corner. Once there, a nautical style piling fence will be there with rope. I will have a pirate ship against the wall with sails flowing in the wind by a fan. Here's the cool part. I will make a frame out of 2x6's on the floor in front of the ship. I will lay down a tarp and fill it with water as if the ship is at sea. I want to make a panel out of pvc pipe and have a rotting skeleton strapped crucifix style on the panel. That panel will be laying flat under the water and then rise suddenly to unexpected victims. I need advice on how to make this happen. I want it to rise rather quickly. Maybe even shake a bit of water on my victims. I don't want to use air. It's an old wood floor and I CAN screw into it. I can even do it remotely if I need to because I will be in the room. Even thought about getting one of those cheap worm gear winches from Harbor Freight tools and using my drill to operate it. Just have to figure out how to run the cable to my hiding are. Probably would work best if I could get it to work by motion detection. The foot of the fence frame could be hinged to the water frame as you see in the drawing. After that, there will be a corner jail with a motion activated skeleton that will jolt back and forth. Then they exit. Any help would be appreciated. Photo of Depot and my planned layout is attached. Proceeds from this Haunted House will go towards repairs that are needed to the Depot. Thanks!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Well I know you said you don't want pneumatic but for what you described, that's the best option. Also, something like that under water and quickly rising up 90 degrees is gonna throw some water, probably a lot.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I did something like this. I had a zombie come down about 10 feet then stop and go back. You need a motor that can reverse. I used 2 60rpm motors attached to threaded 3/8 rod with couplers. I bought a reversable relay that goes x time, stops for y time, reverses to x time then repeats.

You could use a windsheild wiper with a park feature, this will reset the prop to the exact postion everytime. The picovolt will allow this. I ran into issues where it was faster one direction then the other. I had to add a switch to tell when to stop at the top.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Yes that's why I thought pneumatic wasn't the right way to go. It would rise just too fast.
You did originally say you wanted it to move fairly quickly. Either way, pneumatic gives you the easy option of setting up the speed, fast or slow. Also, because this will be under water, a stainless steel cylinder would work just fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes that's why I thought pneumatic wasn't the right way to go. It would rise just too fast.
You will need X amount of PSI to lift the prop , an air control value will determine how fast you fill the cylinder. Here is one, not sure if it meets your needs

air control value.jpg

PneumaticPlus Push-to-Connect Air Flow Control Valve, Elbow, 1/4" Tube OD x 1/4" NPT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts