Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made this coffin several years ago as a static prop to house a Blucky. After seeing some of the stuff you guys put together I got inspired to take it one step forward. I used one of those small air vent motors and a 12V wall wart for power, along with a simple PVC/wood rotation axle joint. I did use an aluminum drive bar though. The little motor barely had enough torque to raise the Blucky so I had to add a tension spring. The whole thing will go up on my shed roof so the mechanism won't be visable. Since I used scrap fence boards, my total cost is about $30.

Thanks for the inspiration and how-to help.

Here's a short clip:
YouTube - coffin

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am impressed you got that motor to do that. I use two for tombstones poppers and I am trying to get one to do a FCG but having issues. Where is the spring located I can't see it in the picks.

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
I am impressed you got that motor to do that. I use two for tombstones poppers and I am trying to get one to do a FCG but having issues. Where is the spring located I can't see it in the picks.
He will need to answer for sure but it looks to me that the spring would be right next to where the motor hooks to the pvc going toward the head of the skellie and the bottom of the coffin.That way would give some lift assistance.Just a guess tho.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He will need to answer for sure but it looks to me that the spring would be right next to where the motor hooks to the pvc going toward the head of the skellie and the bottom of the coffin.That way would give some lift assistance.Just a guess tho.
I first tried Skullboy's guess but it over tensioned the spring.

If you look closely in the red circles in the pic below, you can see the ends of the spring sticking through the wood and PVC fitting. The wood dowel doesn't turn, the fitting freely rotates around it. I used a spring from a 4" pop-up sprinkler and attached it like you would a closure spring on a gate, pre-tensioning the spring to help return the Blucky to the upright position. The spring actually twists instead of stretching. Sorry I didn't get a pic of it. Let me know if you need one to figure it out.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got around to taking a picture of the spring. They piece of 1/2" copper pipe is to keep it in line and tensioned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts