Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
The Big Kahuna of Fright
4,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we have a lot of film buffs on this forum, so this will resonate here. The guy was an amazing character actor. The disheveled, "Everyman" look really worked for him; no Screen Idol, he got by on his chops. First time I saw him was in "Boogie Nights". I told people, he was going places. Eventually he won the Oscar for "Capote". But he did his best stuff on-stage. The perfect Willie Loman in Death of a Salesman, in my opinion.
STAY AWAY FROM DRUGS!

·
Grand Poobah
2,897 Posts
I will never understand how or why people abuse drugs, especially successful people. ESPECIALLY parents. (father of 3 little ones here)
RIP PSH, you were a terrific actor, but your selfish behavior left your kids without a father... smh

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,606 Posts

He was that guy that made the movie he was in watchable, he was the guy you watched the movie for even when it was a crappy movie because you knew he'd kick a$$ in any role. And then he was Capote, or Lester Bangs & nailed it. The priest in Doubt, Boogie Nights, I could go on & on but I won't.

Here are his IMDB listings, pick one, any & all choices he's perfection in them:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000450/

I'm just sad we won't get anything else from him ever.

But if this brings someone's heroin addiction (or any addiction) to light & they get help, it may not be as sad.

Just typing all this make me sad & I'm at work & there's no crying at work especially when your sinuses are still acting up & you can't half breathe already.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,606 Posts
Wrong attitude for this thread & forum in general.

I could go on a huge rant here but I won't. I will just ask this, have you or anyone you've ever personally known struggled with addiction? I have known more than my share. Sadly most of them were relatives, some were friends, so are you saying my family & friends are morons?

There may also be many members here that have battled with or are still battling their own addiction demons so you really should think for a second or 3 before you hit reply.

I'm also sure there's plenty of people in YOUR life that think your Halloween obsession is a stupid thing to waste money on so glass houses my friend....glass houses.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Wrong attitude for this thread & forum in general.

I could go on a huge rant here but I won't. I will just ask this, have you or anyone you've ever personally known struggled with addiction? I have known more than my share. Sadly most of them were relatives, some were friends, so are you saying my family & friends are morons?

There may also be many members here that have battled with or are still battling their own addiction demons so you really should think for a second or 3 before you hit reply.

I'm also sure there's plenty of people in YOUR life that think your Halloween obsession is a stupid thing to waste money on so glass houses my friend....glass houses.
Well said.

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
well said rcaig! people like mickkell have apparently never known someone who was an addict, or they're just unsympathetic jerks.

philip seymour hoffman was a GREAT actor, and im sure he was a wonderful human being as well. he had skeletons and yes once kids came in the picture he should have put them above everything else, and who knows. he might have for a long time...... addicts have triggers and something had to of happened to send him back to the drug. we arent him so we'll never know what it was, could have been something big or something small.... but it triggered his need for the drug again... and it killed him. its sad.

ive watched many episodes of intervention and the things these people have to face in their lives..... its really no wonder most of them become addicts. their stories are tragic and terrifying. one woman was a mom of 4, she divorced her husband and moved into an apartment with her kids, apartment caught on fire and 3 out of 4 of her babies died, she got badly burned so they had her on pain killers, she got addicted to those pain killers. and watching her episode. i was completely understanding!

having said that i dont encourage addiction. those people need help and if everyone had the attitude of mickkell, then they would NEVER get help because absolutely no one in the world would care about them.

anyways back to the topic at hand. RIP PSH, you were amazing and your fans and family will miss you for years to come.

first thing i remember seeing him in was magnolia and while back then i was more focused on william h macy, psh did an amazing job in that movie. great role!

·
Reaper Queen
8,622 Posts
Yes, well said. I have family that have addictive personalities. It runs in my husband's family. My son is one. Thank God he has not done herion. He has self-esteem issues among others. He is a wonderful person, will go out of his way to help others. But can't seem to help himself. He is not into anything too heavy right now. Went cold turkey for narcotics. But the need for some thing is still in him. And no, he's NOT A MORON

·
Registered
211 Posts
It's important to bare in mind there is always a person beyond the addiction, usually a pretty spectacular person when you look past the addiction. It's not a matter of being selfish, rather a disease that gets in a person's head. . . I wish you peace PSH. It was not an easy path you walked. . .

·
Reaper Queen
8,622 Posts
I never said you don't have free speech. I was just trying to say walk a mile in some one else's shoes before you judge. I don't know this man or even much about him. I do believe that on this forum there are many lifestyle choices and beliefs and we need to be respectful of every one.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,606 Posts
I'm so glad you're painting all addicts with such a broad brush mickkell.

"Oh, he was a junkie. It's his own fault. Eff that guy" high horse crap. It is wrong to vilify and stigmatize addicts. Among other reasons, most importantly, it's that kind of view that makes people scared and hesitant to admit or do anything about their addictions. Saying what you said implies that either they get what they deserve or they have no worth other than having an addiction. People are more than that.

Not that I'm saying cancer and addiction or in anyway equal or comparable, but no one would be talking down about him if he died of cancer. But he overdosed? FREE REIGN ON THE CRAP FLINGING BECAUSE ADDICTS AREN'T PEOPLE! I've dealt with addiction, I've been close to addicts. "Another dead junkie!" feels a little too close to "Another dead N-word!" to me. He's a human being being "othered" for an illness he clearly struggled with and tried to get help for.

Would I be reacting differently if say Charlie Sheen had OD'd on coke? Probably. Is that hypocritical? Yeah, to a point. But PSH never flaunted or encouraged substance abuse. He struggled with addiction, was clean for 23 years, and then relapsed/went to rehab less than a year ago. It's just heart breaking.

Plus this wasn't a thread for your hatred of junkies, it was a tribute for those of us that loved PSH's body of work, which, if you haven't check it out is pretty incredible.

And don't say you're not going to watch his movies because he was a junkie because if you start doing that there won't be any music, books, movies, etc. that you can't consume because sadly, many talented, artistic people have/had addicton issues. From Hemingway to Hendrix, you'd have to quit a lot of media.

I really do hope no one close to you has these issues because if that's your attitude I feel sorry for them.

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
wow..... i think we're just wasting our time trying to educate this fool! what an idiot.

personally people like him are more of a waste of oxygen than people like philip seymour hoffman. stupidity isnt a disease, addiction is. this guy is choosing to be a freaking moron. so lets just let him live in his crazy bubble of closed minded *******ry. takes a sad sad individual to not see something for what it truly is and then to belittle people for suffering from a disease and say they deserve what they got. i feel sorry for him, really. and his family and friends... assuming he has any.

·
Registered
211 Posts
He's a Doper,he died a Doper,you think he is so great,please.You dont like my free speech then you can KMA.
An alternative opinion is not an objection to your freedom of speech. You are free in this country to express any opinion you may have, one of the built in freedoms that makes this place great. You're entitled to your opinion, just as we are entitled to ours. With that, I will end my own soap box speech with whether an addict or not, a human being is still a human being, and the dead (regardless of who they are or what they have done with their time here on Earth) are entitled to their due respect, as are those they have left behind. I can guarantee the pain they are going through is immense. The point of this thread is to honor the memory of a talented actor, not to attack drugs or those who have become addicted to them. This is a memorial thread, not a D.A.R.E. class.

·
Vintage Halloween'er
2,994 Posts
He's a Doper,he died a Doper,you think he is so great,please.You dont like my free speech then you can KMA.
I kept going to comment on this thread and then I would stop myself...then I had a long statement typed and deleted it..I will say 2 things..I hate drugs, but drugs do happen to GREAT people...believe me, I know :(..AND freedom of speech is all good, but if you have not experienced a situation or lived through it...judging it means zero
This is my "GREAT" person and we miss him everyday terribly
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1475501812706&set=vb.167836134295&type=3&theater

1 - 20 of 31 Posts