Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
George Romero, 77, lung cancer

Romero died Sunday following a battle with lung cancer, said his family in a statement provided by his manager Chris Roe. Romero’s family said he died while listening to the score of “The Quiet Man,” one of his favorite films, with his wife, Suzanne Desrocher, and daughter, Tina Romero, by this side.
Not a bad way to go. I thought we'd have him for a few more years & maybe one more movie at least. :(

We all have him to thank for any kind of zombie we watch, buy, build, love or hate. Before Romero zombies were voodoo zombies that would do their master's bidding, yeah they were shambling around but with no taste for human flesh at all & if one of them did manage to bite you for some crazy reason nothing happened. Zombies were strictly relegated to voodoo movies.

Then came Romero & thank god for that.

It seems odd to say it to the man that created another type of undead but RIP dear man.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Dawn of the Dead changed my life in the way I saw horror. The mood and feeling he created in that film have never been matched in any zombie film. Imo, it is the greatest zombie film of all time. Romero was one of he most gifted directors to ever sit in the director's chair. R.I.P George.

undead

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just watched Day of the Dead & I'd forgotten how great a character Bub was.

After I saw NotLD for the first time I slept with my lights on for a week. I wasn't a kid either, it was late teens early 20s. I just knew for sure that the dead were coming down my street.

Now that I think back on it I should have kept the drapes closed, blinds drawn & lights off to keep them away!

I also watched a progeny of Romero's zombies in Return of the Living Dead, the first one where the zombies stated that they wanted "BRAAAAINNNZZZZ!" Very 80s but it still holds up in the FX department & in the scare dept.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I was so saddened to hear of his passing. I had the chance to meet George Romero at Horror Fest in CT last year. It was later in the day during a panel discussion, so there was no line. I was able to get the obligatory photo and autograph, but best of all was that we actually had a chance to talk for a few minutes before the next fans lined up. He was very friendly and down to earth. He explained to me that he was trying to get backing for "Night of the Living Dead" for almost 5 years, before they finally made the movie. What an iconic and creative figure in the horror industry!

20160827_175133.jpg 20160827_175458.jpg

Eric

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I saw Dawn of the Dead at a midnight movie when I was in High School. I did not sleep that night. I remember I kept asking my friend "Are you sure that can't happen?" I'm not sure I've been that scared since. RIP Mr. Romero.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I remember the first time I saw him at con. I had no idea he was so tall. I'd always pictured him as a little old man & when he was sitting down that's what he looked like, then he stood up & he was 6'4"!!!

I'm sad that it took his death to get his movie "Martin" back in the spotlight. If you haven't seen it you really should.

I also am surprised that no one has mentioned Fulci yet. Fulci pretty much took Romero's zombies, copied them & ran with them (though not literally). He upped the gore & violence but his stuff lacked the messages Romero put in his zombie movies.

I can't even imagine what it would be like to create an entire genre like he did. LITERALLY every single zombie movie/tv show/cosplay/etc. since NotLD exists because of Romero & I thank him for that because voodoo zombies are just boring & barely scary.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
This was George and I a few years ago in Orlando. The Spooky Empire folks were saying "Don't ask for personalized pictures" or selfies, or anything else. When I went to pay for the signed picture, George saw the Steelers logo on my wallet and asked if I was from Pittsburgh, and I said that I was actually from Monroeville and had watched him filming Dawn of the Dead. "Have a seat!" he said and we talked about Pittsburgh, Monroeville,and Dawn for about 10 minutes. Pissed off everyone in line behind me, but that was okay. :)

RIP George!

·
Resident Lunatic
1,769 Posts
After I first saw NOTLD in the mid 70s, I had to work that night in a dark railroad yard. I was jumpy all night. I have George Romero to thank for that.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I'm kinda ticked! We went to see Jeepers Creepers 3 on Wednesday. It was part of a new limited release scheme that movie makers are using now where I guess they rent a screen for night and split the take with the theaters. The same outfit that released JC3 ran a spot for a showing of Night of the Living Dead that's coming up, which I was thrilled to see... but then they showed it's basically going to be a take off on that old Mystery Science Theater gag where you run the movie and three clowns will be criticizing it for laughs.

That they would do this so soon after Romero passed just strikes me as irritating.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts