Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will be my first year running an Axeworthy ghost rig. I was wondering if anyone who has used one before has any tricks or advice on the best way to rig the line? I'm sure I could come up with something but it would probably reduce the frustration factor if I had somewhere to start.

My setup will have runs up to 80 feet and three ghosts. I'm will be using Spiderwire for the line and bicycle rims for the pulleys. I will also have guide wheels to help keep the line on the bike rims.

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey there. I run one every year. I use 80lb spider on rims. I have a big yard but far to big to rig the whole yard so I have a cemetery set up 16x24 ft with a pole in 3 corners. I painted rims black then wrapped electrical tape a few times around the spoke points where the line rides. It makes for smoother travel up and down the rim as the lines goes around. Partially due to the poles are not perfect in height. Plus I made it extra hard on my self 3 14ft poles sunk 4 ft I use a step ladder and have to tape the line on each rim move.to the next and.so on till I get it rigged the I have to remove rim stops and tape to get her moving. Biggest thing is trial and error. Good.luck

DA

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Good thread "Chewbacca", I'm going to set one this year also. I was looking for help too. I was worried about the inside of the rims and was going to use the rubber used inside the tires, cut in half and glued to the rim to keep the line from being cut. I like the idea "DangersAhead" has by using electrical tape instead. I plan on setting up the ghost early in October to begin the testing process.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Lol its a pain in the *** doing it like that, aint it danger ahead. 10' up put the line and tape all the way around then have to go back and take tape off. Sucks. I have a bike wheel on a wiper motor along with a tensioner on it to keep it tight. The other points I used the bow rollers from boat trailer. Once you get it just right it will move good. Had 3 small ghost on it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Don't be too hard on yourself DA, I did the same thing, as mine was about 12' off the ground.

I'd suggest changing from the Spyder Wire to black Dacron kite string. I tried Spyder Wire and found that it was cutting into the rubber if I put enough tension to keep the ghosts from bobbing too much. Rather than one continuous piece, I used three pieces and tied fishing swivels as connectors between the pieces. They kept the line from twisting and gave me a handy dandy loop to clip the ghosts too.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Yea, I used the same fishing swivels that Doc Doom used to connect the pieces of my SpyderWire together. Worked great!
And I used rubber bands around my pulleys to give them extra grip on the fishing line. I use smaller garage door pulleys, so this works well.

I actually haven't set up my Axworthy for about seven years, but I plan on giving it another go this year. My only worry is about the high winds we can sometimes get here in October.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good thread "Chewbacca", I'm going to set one this year also. I was looking for help too. I was worried about the inside of the rims and was going to use the rubber used inside the tires, cut in half and glued to the rim to keep the line from being cut. I like the idea "DangersAhead" has by using electrical tape instead. I plan on setting up the ghost early in October to begin the testing process.
I lined my rims with silicone calk, the clear 30 year stuff. You just lay in a really heavy bead of calk and then use your thumb to spread the calking as you spin the wheel. Leaves a nice layer of silicone that has an almost sticky feeling that should grip the line well.

I like that idea of fishing swivels of Doc Doom's and I'll also look into the Dacron kite string.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Chewbacca, you might want to watch the caulking compound. I'd be concerned that the line will cut or sink into it under tension.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just logged on. What is the Axeworthy ghowst? I suppose a ghost that travels on a wine some how. Is there a how to on this forum for the beginner? Thanks

·
Registered
438 Posts
Hi, Chewy. :) This will be my first year for axworthy too. I've been testing the final product for a week now (about 3 hours total run time). I'm finally at a place where I think it's reliable, but it was a pain! LOL

Here are few notes:

-From recommendations here, I used black braided dacron kite string 160 lb test with big (number 5 ?) fishing swivel snaps. Cheapest place I found: http://goodwinds.com/57465.html
-Two wheel setup; 16' 4x4 2' into 4" PVC pipe in ground and attached to wood deck on other end
-Bicycle rims; drive rim was 10 speed rear wheel with gear cogs; wrapped spoke ends with black *cloth* electrical tape for grip
-Windshield wiper motor with nut extension & small gear cog JB Welded to it
-Tensioned bike chain by putting motor on swivel mount with old screen door spring
-Garage door wheels (with ball bearings) at each line entrance/exit of line each wheel to guide & support
-Bent coat hanger (per Mayberry's instructions) to get ghost over/around guide/support wheels
-Inserted two pieces of dacron through skelly head at front & back to keep ghost facing front; hung swivel snaps from coathanger to attach ghost for easy removal or replacement
-Both end points are 2x4 wood supports with 6" angle iron (cut from old metal bed frame) at bike rim; used existing bike nuts to attach wheel to metal
-Dropped plans for line tensioner...after two major failed attempts; my wood setup is heavy - tried giant hinge & then drawer slides; maybe next year; for now i will make line *tight* and spin wheel to get string on to it; if it stretches I will disconnect line at swivel and tie knots in line to make it shorter/tighter

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have an idea of what you folks are making but is there a how to with pictures somewher? Thanks for the reply All of the R & D done by others has to help a lot and am glad to be a part of it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks for the link. I am getting a good idea of what I want to try to accomplish and yesterday started searching the local thrift and second hand stores for possible hardware etc. I didn't come up with much. One of the videos I watched suggested going to a bicycle shop to purchase old bike rims. He said he paid a buck a piece. It seems like every time I see items like these discarded in front of someone's house on trash day that about a week later I realize their "trash" is just what I needed for the current project. I am looking forward to this challenge because the results are just too awesome. Thanks again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts