Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm planning on a freakshow room turned escape room.. Basically a mannequin shackled with a 4 letter word lock around her neck. To free her, and be freed from the room, guests have to solve four riddles around the room (the first letter of each word going toward the word lock answer). The riddles will be hidden in amongst the freaks/ props (any inspiration here too would be welcomed!)

The problem is that I've hit a real mental block with thinking up riddles! As you guys are so full of great ideas, I'd really appreciate some help on this!

I'd like the riddles to be kind of freakshow/ carnevil related if possible. Please help!

Luci

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
If you needed a number within your clues you could have a 150 yr, old man, or use any other large number is a number would be needed.
P.T. Barnum's first attempt at "Show-Biz" was a very elderly black woman who was supposed to have been George Washington's "Nanny"!
She was so old one reporter thought she was a static display made from "Whale Bone" and leather?.. Then the next day.. she "Moved"!

·
The Cackling Cauldron
1,320 Posts
Ok, just a quick idea for a clue hidden by the Monkey paw;
What can be held in my left paw but not in my right?....My right Paw.

for the conjoined twins;
My sister was born on the same day at the same time, but we are not a twins. What are we?......Triplets

Are these the kind of thing your looking for?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Fun to see more people trying escape rooms.
Several of ours have followed this pattern where you find words and they get put together to achieve the final clue out. Note that this can allow people to guess at the final answer even if they haven't solved everything. This can be a positive if you want people to be able to get out even if they're stuck on a puzzle, or a negative if you want people to experience everything and not take shortcuts..

anyway, there are lot of other ways besides riddles to get a word. anagrams are straightforward. symbol matching, where people are given a sequence of symbols and they need to search and find clues that show how those symbols correspond to letters. some form of connect-the-dots which yields a word. overlay/fold-in/jigsaw etc where you have to assemble something the right way to read the word. shadow casting, where a light placed in the right spot will show a word or picture in shadow. cutouts, where you put something on top of something else and the holes show the important letters. referencing a book and page-number:word-number (or a page number and then a sequence of numbers for letters within the page). many varieties of ciphers. something visible only with the right lighting (UV ink, glow in the dark, colors that are highlighted by red filter, etc). and you can also just lock a note in a box and find a key or decode a number to open it.

I feel like a lot of riddles are designed to not be solveable yet make sense when you know the answer. If you end up with stuff like that, also plan for a way to provide hints if you want people to get through.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I always loved this riddle because I could never solve it....

What am I? -- You throw away the outside, cook the inside, then eat the outside, then throw away the inside.

Answer: Ear of corn

·
Registered
7 Posts
CarnEVIL doll pics attached. Love the riddle ideas. Good luck! My 2 headed doll was suspended from the ceiling in an old live trap. A couple dolls were hanging from exercise equip springs and you had to bump them as you made your way thru. (1 was battery operated and would sometimes giggle) all of them are holding painted (bloody) plastic knives.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts