Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I finally find time to start my 2016 prop building, I have a question regarding support for a prop rib cage. I am a big fan of upcycling material and trash/junk into props, and so the main structure of the rib cage is made from clothes hanger wire, cardboard, and tape. But the heavier this thing gets (not to mention the paper mache I'll add later), the less sturdy it is. The rib cage gets shifting to one side, collapsing under its own weight.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas for making this prop able to hold up under its own weight?

I realize the issue might require me to just stuff the interior with expanding foam or some sort of plastic stuffing as "guts", but just wanted to throw this out there to see if anyone building with wire has also had this problem.

Thanks.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Hi Doug - Did you do a search for rib cages here on the forum? There are many tuts on making them using PVC, Wire, Garden Hose, Plastic 5 gal buckets etc.

I would say that if the frame structure is not strong enough to hold one of these kind of rib cages, you might need to make a beefier form so it will last longer? Hope this help some.

PB

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I came across the trash can cut out prop tutorial. Looks cool, might try it and scrap my work.

It's tough abandoning a project after putting a decent amount of time in it, but sometimes you gotta admit a dud. I think the original wire structure just isn't strong enough for my intended plan.

Thanks for the reply!

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
:)I'm a big fan of wire coat hangers, I have used it for many, many projects. A really stiff wire that is wonderful for prop making is the tension wire they use in putting up chain link fences. You can get it a Lowes or Home Depot for around $22 and it is awesome! It is a bit heavy, but it holds it shape and won't bend and curve and ruin your plan. I used it for my Mostly Ghostly haunt last year. It made a foolproof armature for my huge ghosts.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
I just made for "torsos" with ribs made out of garden hose, skinned in black garbage bags. I started dry brushing them, not done yet. They will hold quite a bit. You could also link ribs together for more strength.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some really great responses, thanks folks!

Trex- I really like the decayed look you got from the plastic. Did you apply a heat gun for that look? What final form are you hoping for these guys?

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
Thanks Doug!! Yes they are basically shrink wrapped using a heat gun. These are the torsos for some plague doctor heads I made a few years ago. I am moving them to our cemetery this year, and they will need to be on PVC stands. The heads also have monster mud hoods and some creepy cloth which will conceal the shoulder area. They will be lurking around stones and crypts.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
Here is a pick of how I started them, I built up the ribs by wrapping some areas in sections of plastic bag. Too make them appear more lumpy and distrorted. Sorry not a great picture, it is very "busy"!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I am going to attempt something similar to your build, Trex. After looking back over this thread, I tore apart most of the cage and started from scratch with thicker wire. It is holding up much better, and I will probably borrow your killer idea with the black plastic trash bags for corpsing.

IMG_0740.jpg

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts