Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, got a question that I am hoping someone can help me out with.

So I bought some of these:

and some of these:

Do you think I can run more than one set of LED modules and controller off one 12v power source? For example, say I wire 3 of the RGB LED modules together and connect those to one of the RGB controllers...could I power a few of those off one power source? Should I just try it and see what happens?

Right now I have a couple "blocks" with speaker terminals that I built and I use those to power LED spots I made. I want to try out these RGB LED modules for lighting this year and I think it would be really cool to be able to control the color/brightness for each set that I build.

Any ideas? Thanks!! :D

·
What Hump?
1,107 Posts
If your 12v power supply has enough power (measured in watts or amps) then, yes, you can run multiple 12v LEDs off of the same power source.
Just make sure that you hook them up in parallel. You can find good, illustrated explanations of parallel vs. series wiring on line. Basically, the positive(red) wires from your LEDs all hook up to the positive side of the power supply and the negative (black) wires from all of your LEDs all hook up to the negative side of your power supply.

You say you built some blocks with speaker terminals to power LED spots that you made, so I may have been talking way below your knowledge level. Did my answer address the question you were asking, or did I misunderstand what you were asking?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I guess what I am wondering about is how the mini RGB LED controller plays into it. Would I just need to account for the power is uses? I'm assuming it uses power...

Here are some of the specs for it:
Working voltage: DC8-16V
Max output current: 3 x 2A
Max output power: 72W

My knowledge is lacking in that aspect. I followed tutorials for the LED spots. I understand wiring in parallel vs. series, but figuring how much power is used is where I get lost I think.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So it looks like the controller can only handle (or pass through) 2A of power regardless of voltage (but your pixels are 12 volt so we'll use that.

You didn't say how big your power supply is (assuming at least 2) because that's what this controller can handle. 2A = 2000mA A typical LED pixel consumes 30mA (You should verify yours if you can) 2000/30 = 66.6 So I would say you can drive roughly 66 nodes per controller (if they are 30mA) They will only draw the full power on full white. Me being new to the halloween group (I am assuming full white isn't used very often) lol

Bottom Line is I think you could control around 66 nodes with this controller. Since you have more then one of these controllers you just need a power supply capable of providing 2A at 12V to each one and then you could run 66 nodes X however many controllers you have.

A 350W Power supply = about 29A of 12 Volt power (Around 14 fully populated controllers - 924 nodes - I have assumed 30mA)
or a 100W Power supply = about 8A of 12 Volt power (About 4 fully populated controllers - 264 nodes - again I have assumed 30mA)

So the actual power supply you are using determines how many of these controllers you could string together off the same power supply.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Goosta,

I am using those same RGB modules and last year I ran around 200 of them from a single 350w power supply using one 29 channel and three 3 channel controllers. In addition to what bajadahl said, a good source for information is HolidayCoro.com. The website itself is a wealth of information on all things RGB and Dave is more than willing to answer any questions you can't get answered from the website.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Don't forget, when doing your current calculations you have to account for the total current used by ALL the LEDs in a node. For example, if you wanted to produce "yellow", you'd need to light both the red AND green LEDs, thus doubling the current requirement. but from bajadahl's post, it seems like a decent power supply should handle everything.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Check out the power supplies at Holidaycoro.com while you're there. They don't put out quite as much power as a 350w PC power supply but they are weather proof, ready to go out of the box, and cheap. I use them all the time now. They have a how_to on the site that describes how to build power injectors that can be spliced into a common power and data line for all of your lights. Good stuff!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help. I think I may get either a 300w rain proof or 350w and build an enclosure. Sounds like I should be good on power if I go that route.

Jaybo - Do you have a link the that tutorial about the power injectors on their site? I'd like to check it out, but can't find it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
326 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Also, notice that your controller is 2 Amps per channel. Your RGB modules have 4 wires. One for Red, one for Blue, one for Green, and one for either negative or positive 12V DC power. Each one of those colors (R,G,B) are considered a channel. The power supply used in the power injection video is 45W / 3.75 AMP / 12V DC. They have a kit that takes 10 of those RGB modules and creates an RGB floodlight inside of a halogen floodlight housing. Holidaycoro comments that you can run 5 floodlights off of one 3.75 Amp power supply. That's 50 individual RGB modules. So, if you have a 350W / 29 Amp / 12V DC power supply, then you can run 386 individual modules off of one power supply. That's max amount, which you should not load a power supply to max. To play it safe, only run up to 350 modules.

Your problem is not going to be the power supply. It's going to be the controllers only handling 2 Amps. So, I would play it safe and only run about 45 modules per RGB controller. That's easy to do. You can run one single 16 gauge speaker wire through your entire haunt carrying power from the 350W supply. Then all you do is use either two automotive quick splices, or two of these EZ Connect Wire Terminals at each point you want to attach a controller.

WiresinE-Z-On-Off.jpg

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, I'm still trying to figure out the lighting situation and am hoping for some help with follow up questions... :)

So I can run about 45 modules per controller. If I am planning to run fewer than that...say like 10 modules...that won't pull as much power and I could split off other controllers from a power supply, right?

What I would like to do is buy a few DC power supplies to place at key points around the yard. Then use a DC Female to 4 Male Power Splitter Cable to run that power supply to 4 controllers. What I am wondering about is the amperage required for each power supply. The controllers will have DC plugs, as I'm trying to keep things pretty "plug and play" so to speak.

Could I run 4 controllers off 1 4amp power supply if each controller is only running 10 modules?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Okay, I'm still trying to figure out the lighting situation and am hoping for some help with follow up questions... :)

So I can run about 45 modules per controller. If I am planning to run fewer than that...say like 10 modules...that won't pull as much power and I could split off other controllers from a power supply, right?

What I would like to do is buy a few DC power supplies to place at key points around the yard. Then use a DC Female to 4 Male Power Splitter Cable to run that power supply to 4 controllers. What I am wondering about is the amperage required for each power supply. The controllers will have DC plugs, as I'm trying to keep things pretty "plug and play" so to speak.

Could I run 4 controllers off 1 4amp power supply if each controller is only running 10 modules?
The quick answer is yes. A 4 amp power supply will easily power 4 controllers with 10 modules each.

Goosta - I just noticed you are in the Austin area. We have meet ups here where we teach and share RGB lighting stuff usually about once a month (It's not just for Christmas ya know... lol) If interested in joining us some time feel free to PM me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts