Halloween Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Review..... LE® Remote Control 50W RGB LED Flood Lights, Color Changing LED

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MHLIJP8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

This is the 3rd year I've worked on my halloween display and one of the areas I really need to improve is lighting. (Been using a bunch of small strobe lights) I budgeted a bit for lighting this year. I've read tons of ideas and set ups but was intrigued when I came across the LE lights and decided to give them a try. You can get them in 10, 20, 30, 50 and a slightly different version in 100 watts. The housing for each of the lights gets larger as the wattage goes up. I ordered the 30 watt and 50 watt to compare. The 50 watt is about 25% or so larger than the 30 watt.

These lights appealed to me because they can change color, have different modes (flash, strobe, smooth, normal) seemed sturdy, can be dimmed and can have many uses.

Quick notes.... they say dimming, but are actually 3 settings...... high medium and low. The medium on the 50 watt seemed to be the same as the high on the 30 watt. Also the strobe, dimming etc..... only work on the lights high setting.

I compared the two outside tonight to figure out which I like better. The 30 watt is smaller and $20 cheaper. Both worked well and I think will fit my purpose nicely. But in the end I decided to suck it up and go with the 50 watts justifying the cost because of a 2 year warranty and I will be able to easily use them for multiple holidays.

Both lit up the props I put out nicely. Either would work but I like that I have the option to go slightly brighter with the 50 watts and dim down if I so choose. They are larger but nothing that could not be hidden by a well placed tombstone or other such prop. The colored lights made the props I put out look good and very creepy. I liked the green and red the best.

Only a preliminary view tonight, I hope to be able to add more after I get all the props up for halloween. Definitely something worth considering if you are looking for lighting options this year.

People have posted videos of these lights on youtube. If you have any questions, ask and I will try to answer if I can.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I bought a 10W of the same(?) chinese brand for a very tiny, close space. Hopefully it works as well as yours do. The price point was very good and I was afraid to trust anything more expensive in the wattage department. I kind of wish I had seen this before buying something that weak.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I bought a 10W of the same(?) chinese brand for a very tiny, close space. Hopefully it works as well as yours do. The price point was very good and I was afraid to trust anything more expensive in the wattage department. I kind of wish I had seen this before buying something that weak.
I think these are going to work well for mutiple things. I ordered a 10 watt light for $13 to see how well that works. I should get it tomorrow an hope to check it out tomorrow night.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Let us know how that one fairs. I get mine on Saturday.

Edit: Either my supplier was misleading or I'm an idiot or both. I didn't get a plug. Had to take the whole thing apart to put my own on and still have it be waterproof.

It's okay for what it does. I wish the colors could be a bit umm warmer, I guess, and varied, but 10w lights up my balcony just fine.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've had a couple of nights to play with these lights and I like them alot. I have 3 of the 50 watt lights at the bottom of the hill lighting up the whole hillside and 1 up by the witches cauldron. I have the 30 watt light lighting up the reaper and one ground breaker as an accent light.

On the other side of the driveway l have a 50 watt light lighting up the Forrest of Despair and the 10 watt light lighting up the axe murderer who is getting ready to chop off the guys head. I do not regret getting the lights.

Darkness Performance Performing arts Event Performance art

Green Darkness Adaptation Night

Pink Stage Magenta Purple Light

Light Technology Night Magenta Screenshot

·
Registered
368 Posts
So I bought a couple of the 10W versions - gotta say I'm pretty impressed with these guys! They come in a water resistant enclosure and have a little mounting bracket making them a cinch to install and worry-free. A little bit more $ than the old flood and stake but will hopefully last longer with the side benefit of using less energy.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Final review unless someone has any questions. These lights worked great in my opinion. In the end I had 6 of the 50 watt and 3 of the 30 watt going in my display and it made the display pop at night. I got many compliments last night. I could change the color at will and even put a strobe effect on some displays that I wanted to draw the eye.

They are pricey compared to some other setups you can use, but I will be using them for multiple holidays and expect to get many years of use out them. They should make future years low stress as far as lighting goes.

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
Final review unless someone has any questions. These lights worked great in my opinion. In the end I had 6 of the 50 watt and 3 of the 30 watt going in my display and it made the display pop at night. I got many compliments last night. I could change the color at will and even put a strobe effect on some displays that I wanted to draw the eye.

They are pricey compared to some other setups you can use, but I will be using them for multiple holidays and expect to get many years of use out them. They should make future years low stress as far as lighting goes.
Thank you for posting all of this; photos, reviews, and links! Lighting, IMO, is the single most important effect for a haunt, and probably the most difficult to do well.

I did have a question: per 50W light, approx how far, in both width and depth, will a single flood illuminate on high setting?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts