Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in purchasing prop making books or any general reference books on prop building, painting, how to's, anything with really useufl information. I am currently looking at the boks offered by Dc Prop Shop, and Terror Syndicate. I am wondering if anyone has experience with either of these two books and if there is one they would recommend. Also i am interested in anyother books that are out there. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thank you for the time.

(note: i have searched the forum but the information i cam across was not quite what i was looking for but links to previous threads i might have missed will also be appreciated)

·
You Rang?
1,079 Posts
Loki33, I have both DC prop books, These books are ok but were definately not written by a technical writer nor have they been edited thoughly. All the information is there to build a number of interesting props. I found that you will have to read the description several times and check the dimensions carefully, as the discriptions can be confusing.and I have found conflicting dimensions. There are a good number of pictures and drawings but the drawings don't seem to be to any scale and they are not referenced by number. This is a photocopy production and the pictures are not as sharp as a printed document however they are good enough to get the messages across.

On the plus side Brent is very help full in answering questions and providing additional information. There is excellent information on pneumatics, and prop controls along with several tables listing pneumatic cylinders and valves. Remember Brent is a home haunter turned semi pro and its great that he is willing to share his experiences and props with the haunting community. I only wish he would of got someone to edit the handbooks.

I think they are a pretty good deal for the price and if you are mechanically inclined you should be able to construct any of the projects in the books. I'm attempting to build the mourner prop from Vol II for my haunt this year and I am using the instructions as a starting point but plan on simplifying it by eliminating a couple of the movements. This will be my most complicated prop to date and I don't think I could build it with out the information provided in the handbook.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Scariesburg! I honestly appreciate it, after reading waht you had to say I am not sure if the DC books are quite for me yet, I am just starting to get into pneumatics. However it sounds like they have great information just a little difficulty transfering that information into text. Thanks again

·
Registered
591 Posts
I bought the Halloween2go dvd they have 3 in the series and If you don't get anything more out of it then the first 10 mins of the prop video it's worth the money but it has alot of info.and PDF of everything show in the video and you can email the writer I have to ask questions about anything in it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked out that site for Halloween2go, it looks tempting but am a little hesitant. Is it easy to follow the steps, and worth the twenty five dollars? how many projects come with it or does it just show the animatronics for one project? Thank you for the input though

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Not really answering your question Loki, But I have found it extremely useful to print out some of the tutorials and step-by steps found here on HF and some other related sites and keep them in an indexed binder for easy reference when needed.

Just a suggestion..

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
I got the 2nd DC Prop book and I agree with Scareisburg's assessment. I was very new to pneumatics and it was somewhat helpful but I think a simpler design to start off with would have been better. I will bring myself up to his level in the next couple of years. Also, he did not talk about DMX as an optional way of controlling and that's what I ended up doing.

The book just seemed to intimidate me too much. More for the advanced prop builder IMO.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your responses, i have been to both the sites mentioned on here and they definately have some good information. But until now I had never really thought about printing them out. Good ideas and thank you. For the time being I think i am gonna hold off on buying the DC prop books, but recently purchased the Halloween addition of Make Magazine. Hope the will have some good stuff in it. Also the video that was recomended looked kinda interesting "Halloween2Go." If anyone else has had experience with it please let me know along with the Terror syndicate books, I have heard other Haunters saying how good they were but am not sure at what level and how detailed the books are. Thank you all for the help

1 - 9 of 9 Posts