Halloween Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Now that's a Halloween display!, very immersive and Disney like. The lighting is amazing and you really hit it out of the park. You pulled off a lot of really cool effects and did them very well, excellent! Too bad we all live so far from each other it would be awesome to see your house in person.

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I had no idea that the leaf covered graveyard area was concrete LOL. Impressed even more. So how did you get it all to stay?! The dead tree in the middle of the driveway comment - loved it - especially when you have your own neighbors who see your yard all the time ask about it.

Thanks for the info on the well. That little lighting effect worked very well and yes I agree about having some leaves on top to add to the realism. Definitely a lot of things to remember here ;). Oh and now I know what visqueen is!
Ha! Thanks GoS....I trap those leaves in pretty tight. They are boxed on all 4 sides; columns / fence to the front, house / garage to the left, 8 foot hedgerow to the right, and landscape timbers at the back. The wind can't really get at them, so they have no choice but to hang around the entire month.

The visqueen has been a tremendous help to me on a number of occasions....It's inexpensive, and versatile. I've used it for everything from rear-projection material, to basic light diffusion for color-washing windows!

EXCELLENT JOB , you nailed it , it looks so damn good at night .
Thank you for saying so....I always feel like my little camera phone just isn't up to the task in the dark, and always tell myself I'm going to use a real camera one year. Of course, I never actually do. :eek:

Now that's a Halloween display!, very immersive and Disney like. The lighting is amazing and you really hit it out of the park. You pulled off a lot of really cool effects and did them very well, excellent! Too bad we all live so far from each other it would be awesome to see your house in person.
That is very gracious of you! Creating an immersive experience in the absence of a more traditional 'walkthrough' is one of my goals, so that's a huge compliment from my perspective!

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
On a related note, I just want to say a general 'thank you' to everyone who is out there decorating, building props, carving pumpkins, or just perusing this site and giving encouragement to haunters.

I know this is a wacky hobby sometimes; it's time-consuming, and it can be frustrating and expensive. Heck, as noted already in this thread, many of us don't even get to go out and see other haunts since we're too busy making / fixing our own.

However, I also know that you are all the lifeblood of a magical holiday, and are keeping it alive one jack-o-lantern at a time.

Personally, I'm seeing it up-close annually. This is our 4th Halloween in the current location, and we're seeing expanding participation in the neighborhood across the board. More carved pumpkins, more porches strung with lights, some inflatables here and there, and even some yard displays popping up.

One young man who has been through the yard multiple times every year (he was about 6 the first time, and probably 10 now) began his own yard haunt around the corner this year. He asked if we would come by and look at it one night (of course, we did), and we found that he had created handmade ghosts to suspend from their trees. He built them. At 10 years old. And just like that, another haunter is born.

Another example was the visit we received from the local police department.....they just casually rolled up to visit and to hand out some treats to the ToTs with this going on in the patrol car:

IMG_20181105_211151_948.jpg

IMG_20181105_211151_951.jpg

How awesome is that? ^

Rationally, it's a ton to take on for what might seem like just a few hours on one single night of the year; but you're all building a lifetime of memories for those kids, and maybe even inspiring them to go on to do the same. (I bet you're giving plenty of adults some enjoyment, too)

Which is great, because what could be better than Halloween?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Stunning. I love your graveyard and witching well, so beautifully put together, so much atmosphere... Very much the style we go for - realistic and spooky and devoid of the tacky, cheap looking plastic stuff that just brings down so many Halloween displays.
Nice work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Honey!! Call the realtor!! We're moving to Atlanta!!

This is a glorious blend of panorama and minute detail. The artistry and technical prowess are truly remarkable.

My post-Halloween question to you (which I'm forced to ask myself every time I make or buy another prop) is: where do you put all this stuff the other 11 months of the year?

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Thanks again all...we do try to establish a bit of an atmosphere, and I make an effort to have it seem somewhat cohesive and dimensional. It's very gratifying to know that there are folks that appreciate those elements. That's VERY encouraging feedback!

I'm sure it doesn't appeal universally (for example, we don't have any jump scares, or iconic movie monsters, etc. so probably disappoint some folks), but generally speaking most visitors seem to enjoy themselves.

Honey!! Call the realtor!! We're moving to Atlanta!!

This is a glorious blend of panorama and minute detail. The artistry and technical prowess are truly remarkable.

My post-Halloween question to you (which I'm forced to ask myself every time I make or buy another prop) is: where do you put all this stuff the other 11 months of the year?

Thanks very much, and come on over...Atlanta really could use a few more haunters! :)

As for storage, for many years now everything I design and build is collapsible, and stacks pretty flat. For example, the hearse, crypt, and mausoleum all breakdown into flat stackable pieces that line up against a single wall. Even the well breaks down and stacks (heck, the roof of the well is just reconfigured pallets, so they're perfect for that) I like to think of it as the 'Spooky Ikea' approach.

It has also helped tremendously that I no longer rotate themes. Up until about 2012, I would do different themes each year, and that really began to create a storage problem. Since we've moved to a dedicated haunt concept, I've been able to significantly reduce the total storage requirement, but still get to create new props each year.

Finally, and maybe most importantly, adjoining our finished basement is about 550 feet of unfinished basement space. It basically houses everything except the cemetery columns (they don't collapse, and live on the back wall of the garage). The key is in the unfinished basement area, I'm able to use all of the cubic space...I can mount things on the walls, suspend them from the rafters, etc.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
I'm sure it doesn't appeal universally (for example, we don't have any jump scares, or iconic movie monsters, etc. so probably disappoint some folks), but generally speaking most visitors seem to enjoy themselves.
Quite the contrary, I love a good jump scare as much as the next haunter but I would certainly enjoy a visit to your yard if it was closer!

·
Blue Pill? or Red Pill?
4,162 Posts
I was wondering when you were going to post your halloween setup for 2018!! I just didn't search far enough back lol. That bust in the mausoleum is the show stopper. It looks like the real disney one. I love all the pumpkins everywhere, the rocking tombstone and then the low lying fog just comes out every so slowly. Always a treat to see your haunt. And you broke your foot and couldn't do all that you wanted? You have got to be kidding, I see nothing missing! :D:D

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks so much, MM!

I know most of us probably have a whole list of things we want to get done in any given year that we just run out of time to accomplish. The broken foot just made that list extra long for me this year. :eek:

On the bright side, it means that I have some fairly solid prop notions sorted out for 2019 already, and even have most of the materials laying around. I should have plenty to keep me occupied indoors over the winter months...

21 - 30 of 30 Posts