Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Halloween 2018 is all packed up and put away….all that is left to do is the annual ‘haunt in review’.

We weren’t able to do as much as intended this year, as I broke my foot over the summer (ironically, while transporting a prop piece to the basement), and lost about 10 weeks of build time as a result. However, on the bright side, no surgery was required, and I was fully recovered by early September. I was initially concerned there would be a need for pins, etc. and that the haunt would be a scratch entirely, so all things considered, adding any new elements at all was going to be a pretty good result!

Luckily, we were able to ultimately get a few new larger pieces worked in and even managed to include one that I’d always wanted to do (a ‘following bust’ effect inspired by the Haunted Mansion), along with a dilapidated old well that I had been obsessing over since randomly encountering this image last year:

Well.jpg

Along the way, I was also able to address a few noted issues from the previous year and build out some small improvements in those lagging areas as well. All in all, I can't complain considering how prospects appeared in July! :eek:

At any rate, new elements for this year were a bit limited, but had fairly large footprints, and included:

• ‘Witching’ Well
• New Haunt Sign
• Mausoleum with Following Bust
• New Walkway Guides
• New Jacks on Vines (front door)

Below are several images from this year, as well a quasi-walkthrough video. Unfortunately, I lost a large number of images in a Google Drive upload error (mostly mausoleum images, but some video survived), but this is a selection of what survived.

Anyway, as always, I hope everyone had a wonderful Halloween, and I hope to see everyone back here next year!

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,578 Posts
I watched the video twice, simply to pick up on the all of the little details that I've come to appreciate in your haunts. Such a rich and spooky atmosphere, great props, beautifully displayed and perfectly lit. There are very few displays that come close to this in terms of ambience and creating a mood that encompasses all that is Halloween. Well done my friend! Always a treat to see what you create.

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I watched the video twice, simply to pick up on the all of the little details that I've come to appreciate in your haunts. Such a rich and spooky atmosphere, great props, beautifully displayed and perfectly lit. There are very few displays that come close to this in terms of ambience and creating a mood that encompasses all that is Halloween. Well done my friend! Always a treat to see what you create.
Thank you, sir! That is such an amazing and generous compliment; it really means a great deal.

To boot, I'm absolutely humbled that anyone would willingly sit through any one of my overlong haunt videos at all, let alone twice! :eek:

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
amazing as always!

have always wanted to do a following bust, but haven't had any luck finding any :-(

ank
Thank you!

I had a similar issue with that following bust prop.....I'd wanted to do one for the longest time, and was never able to find anything. It was to the point where I was considering building a vacuform press to try to create of my own. Then, I randomly came across a small seller on line several years ago that had one up for sale. I've probably been sitting on it since 2012, and had only used it inside the house previously.

I had another forum member inquire about it in my build thread, and I've searched all of my emails and bookmarks trying to figure out who that seller was. If I ever figure it out, I'll post it here, and in the build thread as well.
:)

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
You have got to be the Must-go-to-house on halloween in your area. Always so beautifully conceived, lit and decorated. What struck me from your first photos was how natural the cemetary looked what with the fallen leaves all over the ground, things just blended in in a natural way like you were really walking through a cemetary. I loved the heaving gravesite! The bust was cool but I really enjoyed the little critters at the base too as simple as they were. And the grave digger projection on your garage looked fabulous. I saw this used in someone else's video this year on HF and that is a really effective projection. I loved how your set up would have lightning and he would disappear for a period of time but reappear just like an apparition. Oh and can't not mention the well this year. How did you create the watery look? Was it a projection from above or below? Anyway thanks for sharing the photos and videos. Will be back I'm sure to rewatch a few times. :D

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
Had to laugh when I read you had bought the Following Bust a while back with plans to use at some point in your haunt. Same here. Mine was a Natural History Museum Following Gorilla however, that I picked up a number of years ago from Tuesday Morning in the kids section. Found a pair of them for only $1.99 each and plan to use at some point in a jungle haunt...kind of like "the animals are watching you". Like you, these are hard to find in general. I just looked online and only found two places that appear to be selling them, overseas in both cases, one in South Africa (https://www.yuppiegadgets.com/product/natural-history-museum-following-gorilla/) and one in Greece ( http://www.juniorscience.gr/προϊόν/γορίλας-natural-history-museum/ ) . Don't want to take away from your thread but if people are interested, I posted a few photos of it in one of my albums ( https://www.halloweenforum.com/members/ghost-of-spookie-albums-miscellaneous.html ).

I was wondering the same thing about using a vacuform to make. You'd have to have the right kind of plastic for the translucency. The Natural History Museum one is a very thick plastic. Guess that would help spread out the light from behind so no "hot spots". We use to have TechShops out here in the SF Bay area and they had a vacuform. Always wanted to take a class on it but didn't make the time and now they are all closed down. So sad.

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You have got to be the Must-go-to-house on halloween in your area. Always so beautifully conceived, lit and decorated. What struck me from your first photos was how natural the cemetary looked what with the fallen leaves all over the ground, things just blended in in a natural way like you were really walking through a cemetary. I loved the heaving gravesite! The bust was cool but I really enjoyed the little critters at the base too as simple as they were. And the grave digger projection on your garage looked fabulous. I saw this used in someone else's video this year on HF and that is a really effective projection. I loved how your set up would have lightning and he would disappear for a period of time but reappear just like an apparition. Oh and can't not mention the well this year. How did you create the watery look? Was it a projection from above or below? Anyway thanks for sharing the photos and videos. Will be back I'm sure to rewatch a few times. :D
Thank you so much!

I also get a kick out the cemetery....annually turning an 18 X 20 patch of dull, boring, and bare, concrete parking area into a leaf covered creepy cemetery is one of my very favorite things about the haunt. This year, I built a little dead tree to sit in the middle of it all, and had two different neighbors ask how a tree was in the driveway.

I really hate it when I have to turn it back to normal. :)

As for the well, the water effect is created from below using the Waterwave LED; it's mounted at the base of the well, and aimed upwards. The 'water' surface is two layers of visqueen acting as a rear projection surface for the Waterwave. I think that adding a few leaves 'floating' on the surface also helped add some dimension, and to sell the illusion a bit.

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
I had no idea that the leaf covered graveyard area was concrete LOL. Impressed even more. So how did you get it all to stay?! The dead tree in the middle of the driveway comment - loved it - especially when you have your own neighbors who see your yard all the time ask about it.

Thanks for the info on the well. That little lighting effect worked very well and yes I agree about having some leaves on top to add to the realism. Definitely a lot of things to remember here ;). Oh and now I know what visqueen is!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts