Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow haunt builders. I wanted to share my latest project with you since most of the work on the forum is three dimensional, although I have seen some incredible art by others to in 2D here as well. So here's the project, I was asked to illustrate a series of freak show panels that you might see in the early to middle Twentieth Century (30’s-50’s)

It was a great job that gave me a break from the usual stuff. The cool thing about these is that the props are essentially the same as what the original inspirations might have been. Paint on canvas. An added unique factor is that the canvas used for this project came from a retired amusement ride cover. I thought it would be valuable to share here as we all are looking to add a little atmosphere to our sets. Thanks for checking out the post.

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
Great job! I really like 'em in sepia, but I know that the colour versions are probably more accurate. And I like that the all have a similar look - that'll make for an awesome display!

·
Registered
409 Posts
These look really great! I am doing dead pirates this year, but am looking at doing creepy carnival next year but I would really like to do it old style rather than modern. I love the sepia look and I am wanting to do this to age my pirate boat sails. With you saying the fabric came from an old ride cover, I am assuming it was already aged looking, or have you used a particular ageing technique with your paint, as I can't seem to get my sails to look old enough.:)

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Sreaming Demons, SharonR, & Stan Fam3. The canvas was pretty beat-up when I received it. It was the color of a brown Carhart jacket with lots of holes and stains. I was worried about the color being too dark so tried to bleach a panel and that didn't work. So I misted the surface with spray paint and FW inks in an attempt to show a background that might have faded over the decades. I also tried to stay away from making any of the figures perfectly opaque.

I am not exactly sure which ride it came from at Santa's Village in East Dundee Illinois but its going back there to the Nightmare from North St. which is cool it think. It's good to recycle historic stuff whenever possible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts