Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think I have ever seen these before. This year Target has boxes of Monster Cereal with the old graphics. I have wanted a vintage box of Count Chocula for a long time but those are expensive. These look really good and have the original Count Chocula. I bought a box a few days ago at Walgreens but it was the regular CGI looking Count. So anyway I'm sure there are fans here who might like a little Monster Cereal nostalgia. They have all 5 flavors.

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also saw them at Walgreens too ;)
You saw the boxes with the vintage packaging at Walgreens? They are supposed to be exclusively sold at Target. I bought some at walgreens a few days ago, but it wasn't this old design. The General Mills blog said they were exclusive so now I'm curious.

·
Registered
384 Posts
There's nothing like a bowl of Frankenberry. The strawberry-flavored cereal milk at the end is worth the cost all by itself. I haven't see the retro boxes anywhere here in Florida yet, but our Walgreen's at least have the cereals now. I notice there are two new flavors. When General Mills first introduced the monster cereals, there was just two -- Frankenberry and Count Chocula. It was few years later that they added the blueberry-flavored "Booberry." This year there's a Mummy brand that's supposedly oranged flavored and Fruit Brute, which one would suppose is like Fruity Pebbles or Fruit Rings. The three long time favorites used to be on the supermarket shelves all the time, but now they're like McRibs. They only show up from mid-September through Halloween so as soon as I see them, it's time to stock up. By the way, did anyone but me cut the posters off the back of the boxes a few years ago? Those are cool to hang on the wall.

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This year there's a Mummy brand that's supposedly oranged flavored and Fruit Brute, which one would suppose is like Fruity Pebbles or Fruit Rings.
There are 2 more this year but they're not actually new. Yummy Mummy and Fruit Brute . Fruit Brute was around in the 70's early 80's as well but I guess wasn't as popular. (Wasn't with me anyway) Fruity Yummy Mummy was actually the same cereal with a new name in the late 80's early 90's. But this year they brought all 5 back. But they divided the flavor of the fruity ones into two different flavors. Personally, I don't remember Fruit Brute.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The retro boxes are exclusive to Target based on what GM has said and a handful of people I know only finding them there.
Mummy and Brute have different flavors than they originally did, although I never experienced them. Mummy is orange creamsicle like and Brute is cherry.

·
Registered
662 Posts
hmm I don't remember Fruit Brute but I do remember Count Chocuka, Frankenberry and Boo Berry which I loved. I may have to grab some boxes so I can mount the covers in frames to hang each year.

·
Foolish Mortal
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You probably did this, but just in case: be sure to check on the endcaps that are closest to the walls in the Halloween/seasonal section. That's where they live.
My store didn't have them on an endcap, They were with the cupcake decoration and cake pans, frosting etc. But I think they only had it that way to hide the fast that they're so slow about getting Halloween stuff out. You know spread it around and make it look like they have more.

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
My store didn't have them on an endcap, They were with the cupcake decoration and cake pans, frosting etc. But I think they only had it that way to hide the fast that they're so slow about getting Halloween stuff out. You know spread it around and make it look like they have more.
One of my local Targets had them stuck on an end cap in the Halloween candy section. Haven't been to the other one yet.

·
Registered
503 Posts
MMMMMMM - Count Chocula - my favorite.
I always buy it at this time of year. I like it right out of the box - fresh and dry.
I eat it more like finger food. My husband thought that was nuts until he tried it and admitted, it's pretty good!

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
aw man thats not how they always do them? i hadnt bought any of the monster cereals until this year and when i picked mine up at target i was so glad that it was still the old design on the box. guess thats a limited run type thing. what a bummer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts