Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Pirate Princess
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok
Thank you to all of the responses for the pirate ship and I am going to go with ASU AND LYNN's Design.... I want to do a Mast behind the sunken ship. I want to have a crow's nest also. I know I am going to use pvc pipe but how will I anchor it in the ground? Any pics or step by step instructions would be so great. Thank you Halloween Forum you all have been so informative and helpful!
Erin

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you're using a large diameter pipe, you can dig a posthole in the ground, and drop some cement in there (but then you're stuck with the cement). Less invasive, you could, instead, ram a long skinny metal bar in the ground, like a tree stake, and put the PCV over that. Or, you could build a wooden stand large enough to give the mast stability, secure the mast to the stand with bolts, and add rigging on four points to secure it to the ground.

But before you settle on PVC, consider going to one of the big box home stores or a carpet store and asking for some of their leftover cardboard tubes used to hold carpet. I got some for free for my masts, and you can cut, paint, and texture these to look weathered. Cheaper, lighter, and, maybe, safer.

A

·
0 Posts
I agree with Gumba, before you are set on using PVC, try looking for carpet tubes. I ended up getting several from a neighbor who was having their house re-carpeted.

I used a bent piece of re-bar pounded into the ground and then slipped the carpet tube over. I only had mine up for 2 days so you may need to use some extra guy ropes and tree stakes to help keep it secure in the wind.

·
Pirate Princess
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys so much!! I want the mast up for the whole month of October though so would the carpet tubes not make it through the rain? It rains at least 2 days out of the month in October.!!

·
2,621 Posts
I used a plastic Whiskey Barrel Planter for my crows nest. ( It was a bit bigger than the one in the link) It is light weight and I was able to cut a hole in the bottom and slide it over a large wooden landscaping pole.
I attached the pole to a extra large metal Christmas tree stand. I'll add my link to my pirate stuff, but I don't think you can tell how I did it in the pictures I have. Good luck.
Whiskey Barrel Planter, 16" Grey # WB16MIAQ by Pottery Collaborative

Pirate Gallery pictures by Yelsir - Photobucket

·
Registered
103 Posts
tricky. even with paint, probably not, but the sonotubes are made to form concrete so maybe you'll be okay if you go that route (I haven't used those). For the cardboard rolls you'll need to seal it with something.

·
Pirate Princess
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A wooden lanscaping pole? Where would I get something like that? Garden Ridge, Home Depot Lowes's??? I am trying to access your pics but it won't come up :(

·
Pirate Princess
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK now I can see the pics ... HOLY MOLY!!! How did you do that? Was it for your house? Did the news crew come by? I mean amazing!!!! What are the wood pilings made of? And where did you get your fishing nets. I have been on Ebay searching but not finding what I really like

·
2,621 Posts

·
2,621 Posts
I made the pirate stuff along with my Brother for my Sisters wedding on Halloween
a few years back. We displayed them for a few more years at my sisters house and
sold it all this past Halloween to a local haunt. We did have the news paper come by one year. The pillings were made with sonotubes and paper mache. I got the fish nets on ebay and the swap meet. Here's a link to the haunt that bought my props.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

OK now I can see the pics ... HOLY MOLY!!! How did you do that? Was it for your house? Did the news crew come by? I mean amazing!!!! What are the wood pilings made of? And where did you get your fishing nets. I have been on Ebay searching but not finding what I really like

·
Registered
103 Posts
Bobzilla, you have barnacles on your wood piers. Incredible! How did you do that? Great costumes on the pirates, by the way.

·
2,621 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Drive an 8 to 10ft metal T-post in the ground and place your PVC over the fence post. Home Depot sometimes has the 8ft length in the garden area. If not, then you could order it from Tractor Supply.

Tractor Supply Company - T-Post 10 ft 1.33 lbs

You can drive the fence post into the ground with a hammer, but I REALLY don't recommend doing it that way. It'll kill your forearms trying to drive the post. Spend an extra $25 and get a fence post driver.

Tractor Supply Company - Deluxe Post Driver

1 - 14 of 14 Posts