Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever or know of anyone that has, repurposed an old projection tv for prop use? I'm trying to figure out what to do with this tv since we have replaced it with a flat screen. Other than hauling it off I haven't gotten any other ideas for re-using this thing :rolleyes:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I saw something one time, I think it was a Stiltbeast video, where he made a clear packing tape torso and stuck it to the front of a tv. It looked like someone was emerging from the screen.

I thought it would be cool if you could replace the front glass with some sort of stretchy material, then mount a mannequin head and hand inside the tv on some sort of mechanism to push it into the stretchy material. It would look like something trying to push through the screen.

It might be tricky to pull off but it would look awesome if you did!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Chops , I like that idea.
MummyOF5 The problem is gutting the old TV for starters. Most of the contents are considered hazardous. I would recommend contacting a local repair shop and if your old one works ask them if they want the parts. Perhaps they will trade you any empty 'carcass' for yours.

I would love to see the material idea at work. I have seen it done in movies. the first one I remember was Freddie coming out of the wall . Anybody out there have any ideas for that ?

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The idea chops had would be cool. The tv works, that's part of the reason I wanted to try to use it for something. I didn't know how easy it would be to use the projection unit inside it for something. It doesn't have a tube like a normal tv, so there wouldn't be an issue with that. The only other thing would be the electrocution issue with parts still holding a charge. Maybe I'll look around more online and see if I can find something.

·
Registered
308 Posts
MummyOF5- You are correct, use EXTREME caution and never open up the back of any TV. There are components that can store a charge and cause some serious damage. The RGB lamps in most or color wheel may be hard to work with and once damaged could be to expensive to replace. I owuld suggest gutting it and using a small projector on the flex material from behind. Then have a prop hand or head that pushes out at the right moment. Man that sounds cool now I have another idea running around in my head..my wife is going to kill me !! :D

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hubby took computer engineering classes at one of the large universities here in Iowa for a few years so we've had several machines and monitors torn apart for experimental purposes around here so that part doesn't really bother me. :rolleyes:

I would like to figure a way to use the projector I guess that's a little more space conserving than the whole unit is right now. The screen, from what I can tell is like a fresnel lens, so that might be useful.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Is it the old 3 gun models? Unless you were gonna drag it outside and decorate/camouflage it and playback a looping video it will be pointless to disassemble it and try to repurpose it as a front projection. Its lenses were designed for a very short throw so any further you'd just get a blurry image (I know, I tried this awhile ago).

IMO its just too bulky and heavy to be of any use, espcecially if your haunt needs to be taken down quick or you're short on space.

Ben's Stiller's boss says it best

·
Registered
125 Posts
The best thing to do would be build your own box to look like an old tv and age it yourself. Simple to do out of wood or even foam. Then you can get the material from a couple places. Fright Props sells it, but brace yourself because they want a couple hundred dollars for a small piece. There was a company at Trans World last spring that had some, a lot cheaper also, it is out there, you can find it. The head or hand would have to be on some sort of motor with decent torque and stability to push into and back from the material. It is usually a rubber like material. You could mount the TV on top of a dresser or something and have a hole behind it and an actor push a skull against it too!

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have heard of the spandex idea before.
On the plus side, the fresnal lense can be an awesome fire starter! The pinpoint of sunlight will light your campfire, or will put off enough heat to melt metals in seconds!
The projector lense can also be used as a primitive fire starter for lighting that campfire on a much smaller scale.
If you do take one of these apart be sure to ground all capacitors and other parts before touching them to discharge them. Also, do not break anything open, it could release hazardous materials into the air.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts