Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The foam gravestones I purchased for my yard this year all come with plastic spikes to keep them in the ground. Well, they pretty much suck, and also break easily. I have 2 questions:

- anybody know of anything suitable to replace these with when they break?
- any ideas on a better system?

I saw a post from someone gluing a board to the back of the foam with a couple D rings mounted, then some rebar staked through the D rings. Seems like a good idea.

Any others?

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
I used a hot glue gun to glue PVC pipe to the back of the foam.Then beat a hunk of conduit into ground and slide the PVC over it.I drilled a hole thru both (conduit and pvc)and slid thru a zip tie.Seems to hold pretty good so far.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmm, the PVC pipe sticks well to the foam with the glue? I was thinking it might not because the contact surface area is kind of minimal. I will give it a shot! Thanks!

·
Zombie Hunter
20,479 Posts
I had my doubts too.I run a bead of glue and attatch the pvc and let dry.Then I run beads down both sides for extra holding power.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cheapest way is in walmarts garden area they have a package of 20 3' bamboo rods.
Cost 2.00 can saw them into the size you need and use them. i stick two in the front of the tombstone and hammer them into the ground so only about 4 inchs remains out of the ground and then put on or two in the back of the tombstone with about 8"-10" remaining out of the ground.

·
Insane Genius
1,251 Posts
The method I use is 1" angle iron.

You can punt a couple of angle iron stakes into the ground such that they sit at the corners of the tombstone and cup it inside the inner angle, when you do this the stakes become virtually invisible. and you can fix the stone to the stakes using a few cable ties.

An alternative and even more invisible method is to build your tombstone by laminating two 1 1/2" pieces of foam with a piece of thick cardboard in the middle such that there is a slot down each side of the tombstone for it to slide on the angle iron. you can hide the gaps in all the other places by using polyfilla to cover them before painting.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I hot glued 3/4" pvc to the back ran a bead along both sides, then did the rebar into the ground thing. No zip ties nothing. It was very windy yesterday and the day before, and they are holding up great! Way way better than everything else I tried in previous years.

Gosh I love this forum, so many great ideas (so little time)....

·
Registered
162 Posts
drill some holes 6 to 8 inches into the tombstone going up from the bottom. get some wooden dowl rods about 12 to 16 inches long, sharpen the ends to a point like a pencil ...or a stake ;) hammer them in, and slid the tombstone on top.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the suggestion guys! I went with a combination of suggestions.

I ended up buying some 2' rebar and 1/2" conduit. Chopped the conduit into 16" lengths for my taller gravestones (12" or so for my shorter ones), and glued them to the back of each gravestone with a hot glue gun. Like suggested above, I then put another string of glue on each side of the PVC for extra support.

I then put the gravestones in place, slid in the rebar, and pounded them into the ground with a hammer. No problems!

Definitely feels strong and sturdy, don't think they're going anywhere.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts