Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I are really upset at the number of repeat trick-or-treaters who came to our house... not once... not twice... not three times... but somewhere close to SIX or SEVEN times.

I'm thinking it might be a cultural thing... but why would someone go to the lengths of changing bags of candy so you can get more and more and more -- and then hiding glow bracelets in pockets when you're told you can only have one?-- Why not let other kids have a chance instead of being so greedy? (... and what about leftovers for me? Niente. :( Not to mention how badly that cuts into the budget!)

Is there anyone else out there whose had three-peat (or more) ToT'ers tonight? What do you do? Does it make you mad?

Is this a cultural thing? It seemed to be only those of Hispanic heritage that were doing this... I'm just wondering if there's something in that particular culture that makes what I consider rude behaviour "okay"?... like kids saying "Where's the candy?" instead of "Trick-or-Treat?" ... or coming to a house SEVEN times.

... or am I just insane?

What do you guys do about that? :confused:

·
Registered
83 Posts
ummm there kids.... ya cant expect them to think like us old folks lol.

Be prepared and have a trick up your sleeve for them next year... lumps of coal:p

As for us, the extra stop or two didn't bother do to the lack of others.

·
Mummy Dearest
1,149 Posts
I don't think we had any repeats... but we did have two 17 year olds come say trick or treat with no costume and their back packs. Why I outta.... wear a costume. I'll give candy to anybody in a costume, but wear a costume.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Contrary to what my wife (Red) said in her post, we did have repeat ToTs (she was out with our kids supervising their ToT-ing the first time the groups came around), some just came back to give high fives to my headless-scarecrow-stalkaround but a couple came back for more candy. Also, we were 'understaffed', so while I was scaring and she was out with the kids, the candy sat unattended on the porch. At least one time I heard a kid say, "I got two Crunch bars!" That's rude, dude. We shell out a SHIPLOAD on decorations and KING SIZE candybars, take one you greedy little ________.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I expected a few repeats... but 7 times? That's a little outrageous, if you ask me-- even above the norm, which is what I expected. I'm Especially peeved since I know they lied to my face when I asked if they'd been to my house earlier. That really grated my nerves. How else could I go through 8 bags of CostCo candy in one night? It adds up-- especially in the recession, when I could have spent that fundage on other things.

I'm thinking of glow-in-the-dark hand stamps like they do at Disneyland next year... I really enjoy giving out candy, but there's only so much I can give before it breaks the bank or I go nuts and stop giving candy out all-together. *cringe*

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ohh no point in getting so upset about it, i could understand being upset if they egged your house or something in that nature, think of it this way they must of loved the type of candy you were giving out for them to come back so many times...

Happy Halloween

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm just curious even with the repeats did you run out of candy? And we also had repeats to but I was glad to go thru the candy. But half way thru the night I started to give out bigger portions. Just so I don't have allot of candy left over. I'm not even going to mention the other part of you statement:mad:.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Is this a cultural thing? It seemed to be only those of Hispanic heritage that were doing this... I'm just wondering if there's something in that particular culture that makes what I consider rude behaviour "okay"?... like kids saying "Where's the candy?" instead of "Trick-or-Treat?" ... or coming to a house SEVEN times.
Er, jadewik, I can assure you that it is definitely NOT a "Hispanic cultural thing". :eek:

I live in an area that has a large Hispanic population and that sort of Halloween behavior is definitely not the norm here. In fact, among the trick-or-treaters we had last night, I'm happy to say that ALL of the parents - black, white, Hispanic - made certain their children didn't grab, said "trick or treat" and "thank you", and were very polite and complimentary. My 8 year-old daughter had a blast handing out candy and glow sticks.

I'm afraid you may have experienced a cultural thing alright - as in a LACK of any culture or manners whatsoever - an unfortunate trend that cuts across all races, ethnic, and socioeconomic groups.

There's a special program for kids like these. It's called PARENTING. Unfortunately, their parents have failed to enroll in the program.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My wife and I just tell the Repeater "No, you were all ready here" Little kids or ones of any age (you can be 99) who dressup and have the sprit of Halloween get two or more treats, Non-dressup one treat and we tell them how lame they are. We just tell it as we see it!

·
Registered
800 Posts
I think you need to refrain from the cultural thing, that is just obnoxious and rude to anyone browsing the forums that might be of that background, you need to really take that crap some place else..

Anyways if one has enough candy who cares, they are kids like everyone else stated..I had some repeat trick or treaters I just put my mask on and scared them if they came back a third time (easy to detect in my area since I got a shade over 200)..but the younger kids whom were like five to twelve I gave them candy if they came back a second time..I remember if we found a house that gave out amazing stuff we did the same when we were children..that's the whole part of being a kid..immature..taking risks etc..just live with it and move on..your stamp idea sounds horrible, who would even want their hands stamped..lol at that idea..

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I too live in an area of the country that has a large Hispanic population and I don't think anyone, of any ethnicity, asked for a second candy...EXCEPT MY KIDS! OMG. I mean granted our middle guy has special needs and the littlest is very overanxious (he's three) but when people held out their bowls, they thought, "Oh, I should take a bunch," and just grabbed. My DH and I were right there to tell them "Just one!" but we were dying from embarrassment. Everyone but us seemed to take it in stride, though. "Oh, take some more..."

This is really the first year either of them has understood Halloween so I chalk it up to that. They don't get all the "rules" yet but DH and I were there to repeat them, so...

I actually have never heard of kids returning to a house six times, though. That does seem excessive. I would hand out either just one very small piece of candy by the third time, or something else minuscule...I know I'd never have the heart to tell a child, no matter how greedy, "You've been here before...leave!" but there are other subtle ways to let kids know that kind of thing doesn't fly.

But just asking for more, or something? Kids freak out on H'ween. They are SO excited. And kids naturally want more and more and more of whatever is good in their opinion. I doubt it's cultural. ETA: Or if it is, and my kids are the indicator...WATCH OUT for those kids of Polish, Norwegian and Scottish descent!! They'll get ya every time!!!! LOL. Just kidding.

·
Registered
179 Posts
LOL i TOLD my kids to go around again HAHA. actually we hit downtown first and then they were bored waiting on someone so they headed out.. by the time that kid found them.. they got to go again.. they said one house gave rotten broccoli to repeaters.. HAHAHA... so they snuck around her and got her candy HAHHA... all in fun. all in fun, we dont have alot of kids so people love it.. it was so fun, i actually stayed home and gave out candy while my kids ran wild . First time ever... it worked out perfectly.. they were so good.. even though my son ventured off on his own treatings.. would show up at home, HEY MOM.. see ya mom HAHAHA... love it!
I gave repeaters asour gumball and they didnt come back again!

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
I'm old school.

If you get a repeater, and that repeater gets candy out of you because they fooled you, you couldn't say no, you didn't recognize them, etc, that repeater is doing their job.

If a kid can get more candy out of you, more power to them. Halloween is the one night of the year kids can be the little deviant maniacs they always want to be. I'll gladly give a creative trickster more candy to avoid a heavy egging of my car.

There is no reason to be upset, and it's nothing to stew over. Laugh it off.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have to deal with this. I guess it comes with having a well decorated yard. Along with people who want to get pictures with you, there are kids who hang around, block the paths of others, and try to hide in the yard. I had to tell several kids to leave last night.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I agree 6-7 times is a little excessive. I can remember walking around our neighborhood 2-3 times, and we usually even changed costumes LOL. And I completely agree with the no costume, no candy rule, I mean seriously put some effort into it and I will give you some candy reguardless of your age. But kids will be kids and teens will be teens. I don't really mind having repeaters go through our haunt, as I know it sometimes takes a few times to see it all since you miss out on certain things being scared out of your wits and all, but I am glad they don't expect candy every time. But this year we were disappointed with the lack of trick or treaters and we had candy leftover so we probably would have still gave it out and just been happy to see some more kids.

·
Mostly Harmless
1,328 Posts
Most of my neighbors were not giving out candy and it broke my heart that kids were coming to our house with only one or two pieces of candy in their bags.

So we let kids grab a couple of pieces.

I had several kids who came back to show our house to their friends or cousins but most of these kids refused additional candy.

I only had a problem with one kid. He took three handfuls of candy before I could pry the candy coffin away from him.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Without a doubt, no costume = no candy. I refused to give candy to a couple of teenagers because they weren't wearing costumes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Awww, I wouldn't get so angry about it. Halloween's a happy and fun time :).

But yeah, 6-7 times is a lot. Like some people suggested, after say their 3rd-4th repeat time, I would just give out smaller candy.

If they only repeat for ~3 times, we normally give them the same candy as the rest. I know that sometimes some of the kids actually get lost, since it's a dark and unfamiliar neighborhood, so we tend not to penalize them if it's only a few times. Heh - this topic actually got me thinking back into my childhood, when I went trick-or-treating at 6 years old. I remember the one and only time I repeat trick-or-treated a house, and it was entirely by accident. The teen who was handing out candies actually got angry at me and told me off for trying to "cheat" her and sneak more candies. I'll never forget that day...

·
Registered
119 Posts
My little kid went to a house twice, the lady insisted that he take candy again, this was because halfway through we met up with my husbands brother and his little boy and my son went off with them, we explained where we had been, but they went to one house twice. OOPS.

Then later I noticed another little boy in the very same costume my son was wearing was out that was about the same size, I hope people don't think we are greedy or something lol.

We had teens ToTing without costumes, but I really don't care. I figure it is keeping them out of mischief. I wish everyone would Tot.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts