Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks.

Just curious, is it just me, or do most of us enthusiasts keep upgrading or tweaking the previous years' props? I have a few new ones to build, but I keep thinking about the little things to make last year's better (efficiency-wise, or better looking -- e.g.; bloodier & grosser). I'll just HAVE to do something to make the old ones cooler. Is this an addiction? Well, "if there's a remedy, I don't want it". Why does this beloved holiday recur with such haste? I need 28 hour days! LOL!

Thanks !

Bill

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,447 Posts
I do the same thing. I can't think of anyone that wouldn't be tweaking their projects over the years.

I usually do a few new things, but the majority of the prop stuff I work on is fixing and improving stuff I've already made.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
what's worse...is now I'm afraid to throw anything away. I regret tossing my sliding glass doors when I had them replaced a couple years ago, now I could use that glass for the funeral carriage I'm going to build. And anything that had a motor in it that I threw away, I'm regretting.

I was pretty humbled after finding this forum and joining the local home haunters group in the past few months. Now I feel compelled to improve on everything I've done in the past, and push my limits in the future....the talent here and in my group is amazing...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some brilliant evil minds

Yup, there are some great minds in the forum. Many talents seen should be done as a money-making job. It's great when your talent and twisted interest collide!

Bill

·
Registered
591 Posts
I've been working on and tweaking for the past two years and only stopped for the couple of hours on the DAY.I look at it as a hobby like woodworking,or painting.and ya I'm redoing all my tombstones and fixing my witches caldron,redoing my FCG, plus making new props.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is a relaxing hobby, too.

Bill

·
Reaper Queen
8,798 Posts
while I ususally have somethings new every year, I also tweek and up grade my existing props, take what I didn't klike from last year, and try to improve and make it better, or just change it enought to make it appear different, so the TOTers don't "remember" it too well!

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Me too Bethene, I think we all try to add a few new things each year. And I also do a few improvements. But mostly I take my old stuff and try to change it a little so it looks like a new prop. Unless the kids really loved it, then I just improve it. The rest of my stuff gets totally torn apart and rebuilt into a new prop.

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. Not only do I try and improve the haunt every year, but I also don't want to throw anything away. I just finished an addition off the back of the house, and I have been saving all sorts of stuff. All the olde decking is now stored (because it could make great caskets, or a bench, a boardwalk, etc. Ends of lumber, particle board, even drywall - just in case.

what's worse...is now I'm afraid to throw anything away. I regret tossing my sliding glass doors when I had them replaced a couple years ago, now I could use that glass for the funeral carriage I'm going to build. And anything that had a motor in it that I threw away, I'm regretting.

I was pretty humbled after finding this forum and joining the local home haunters group in the past few months. Now I feel compelled to improve on everything I've done in the past, and push my limits in the future....the talent here and in my group is amazing...

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
I also save everything from previous years. I don't want people to get bored with the yard haunt, so I keep building and adding on each year. I save everything from previous years, too, so storage is becoming a problem.

Fortunately, my wife understands and no longer expects to park in our garage.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You know you're a propaholic when...it almost makes you giddy when you find yourself looking at a construction site and scope out the scraps/tidbits/morsels/goodies that would be cool to utilize for a prop to build at any time of the year. My wife will just look at me (glazed-over look on my eyeballs) and ask, "Don't you ever just thinking about Halloween for one moment?" "Naw," I gleefully reply and wiped the drool from the corner of my mouth.

Bill

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm, are we then called Propaholics or Proppers? Any opinions out there? You know you have an addiction when you only have one car in a 4-car garage. Hey, my props need room to live, too!! Now, if I could just move that one car outside...I could build more!!

Bill

·
4,484 Posts
You know you're a propaholic when...it almost makes you giddy when you find yourself looking at a construction site and scope out the scraps/tidbits/morsels/goodies that would be cool to utilize for a prop to build at any time of the year. My wife will just look at me (glazed-over look on my eyeballs) and ask, "Don't you ever just thinking about Halloween for one moment?" "Naw," I gleefully reply and wiped the drool from the corner of my mouth.

Bill
propaholic...good thing I reread that...I thought you wrote prophalactic

·
4,484 Posts
Hmmm, are we then called Propaholics or Proppers? Any opinions out there? You know you have an addiction when you only have one car in a 4-car garage. Hey, my props need room to live, too!! Now, if I could just move that one car outside...I could build more!!

Bill
The correct term is Halloween Enthusiast :D

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Prop

I see. But I thought the term "Halloween Enthusiast" was a term for all the forum folks (folks that love Halloween in general). I was meaning just for the folks that build/create stuff (e.g.; props). So, (yes, pun intended) I was looking for a "proper" title.
Bill

·
4,484 Posts
I see. But I thought the term "Halloween Enthusiast" was a term for all the forum folks (folks that love Halloween in general). I was meaning just for the folks that build/create stuff (e.g.; props). So, (yes, pun intended) I was looking for a "proper" title.
Bill
Maybe the proper title is: Proppoor

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hello, my names jim and I'm a propaholic. Are our meets called make and takes? LOL! at least The boat's not in the garage. I think our spouses go ahh some quiet time when we're in are shop working. and they get the remote!

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Nothing ever gets thrown away at Samedi Manor. If it can't be repaired or renovated, then it's recycled into a new prop. I'm constantly arriving home with stuff that "will probably come in useful", much to Madame Samedi's bemusement.

Hi..I am Baron Samedi, and I have a hoarding problem.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts