Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making some potions and wanted to use like an old soy sauce bottle. I removed the sticker off but it leaves that glue behind. Anyone have any good tips to remove that glue off?

·
Registered
630 Posts
WD-40. I use it all the time to remove label residue. Just spray it on and scrub the residue off with a paper towel.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,098 Posts
Goo Gone
https://googone.com/

Soak the label with it, let it sit a few minutes then peel the label off. It also helps if you can get most of the paper part of the sticker off in some other fashion. If you can't just score the label so the Goo Gone can soak through.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I second the Goo Gone. Acetone is not good for your skin and personally, the smell of WD-40 makes me sick and it's a hard smell to get rid of. Goo Gone has a fairly pleasant orange smell. Just my 2 cents.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,098 Posts
Acetone will remove other things too like finishes on furniture, floors, nail polish, & paint in general. It won't hurt a glass bottle but Goo Gone is safer & better smelling in general.

You can get it in grocery stores, dollar stores, CVS, etc. & of course online.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Peanut butter.... I use it all the time for sticky stuff. Rub it on till the sticky is gone. Safe for all kinds of things like plastics and glass and clothes...mostly I use it for those sticky price tags but I’ve used it on bottles also.

·
Registered
50 Posts
try using a heat gun to warm the label till it releases so it is easy to remove, then while it is still hot a paper towel will get some of the sticky off. after that your choice WD-40, Goo Gone, Alcohol, Acetone, but I would save my peanut butter for a sandwich. squirt on your choice of removal spray and use a razor blade to scrape it off.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'll throw my hat in the ring for WD-40, you won't need a razor blade for this one, because it literally disolves the adhesive.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you want the minimum toxicity approach:

Some label glues are water soluble. It's worth trying just a soak and seeing what you can scrub off. You can tell pretty easily if the glue is dissolving.

If it's the gummy type adhesive, you can clean that off with cooking oil. Rather than dissolving it, it's more like lubricating it and preventing it from re-sticking as you work it. It's more work and slower, but it will come clean, and perfectly safe. Same basic technique as getting chewing gum out of hair.

If all you want is speed, and don't care about smell, very little beats Goof-Off at dissolving that stuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts