Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a way to make a stain glass window effect for a roof window. it needs to be removable and light weight.

was thinking some type of coloured films, but seem to remember seeing a kids show where they mixed PVA glue mixed with paint to make patches that would stick to window once dry

any help would be great

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've mixed clear elmers glue (it has to be the clear glue) with food coloring to create this look, I also use this to make 'blood'. I would think this could be painted onto plexi-glass or something like that to make it removable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, i am thinking my best way to go would be a removal plexi-glass front, that way i can use it over again next time

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,276 Posts
I remember in high school art class we did the glue and food coloring thing, but the leading was a mixture of white glue and black powdered tempura "poster" paint.

I think your idea of using plexiglass would be the way to go. October is the month of fluctuating temperatures here. We may have days where temperatures soar into the eighties followed by a days of snow. The windows start to condensate when it's cold so putting the glue mixture directly on the glass could end up being a sticky, staining mess.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Go to a party or dollar store and get a few rolls of various colored celophane gift basket wrap. Next, cut out the colored shapes you want from the celophane and arrange the way you like. Then take a piece of acrylic or plexiglass that will fit your window opening. Give it a light coat of 3M spray adhesive and arrange the celophane pieces on the coated plexiglass. Press evenly to smooth it out. You now have a temporary, but lightweight and removable stained glass window. You can use packing tape to keep it in the window opening. Lead frame lines can be simulated by using a black marker on the joints between the colored shapes.

Eric

·
Registered
239 Posts
there's also a product called "gallery glass" that joanns sells. there are pre-made 'lead lines' and also large bottles of it if you want to make your own.
i can't link cause this is only my 2nd post, but just search joann's site for gallery glass and you'll find it.

my mom's church used to make crosses on cellophane, so that the crosses could peel off and be placed on any window or slick surface.
we also have some on the dining room window, and it's been there for years, but it's easy to remove if you want to. it's designed to be more or less temporary.

oh, whoops, didn't realise this was an old post! sorry!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts