Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, just had to order a new relay for our remote control jumping spider. Was working intermittently when I set it up to test so I thought the remote might need batteries. Still not right so I put my testor on the relay to see what was happening. Got my 12v going in but nothing coming out when the button is pushed. Just a click. Tried different positions NC, NO, COM and I get no voltage whatsoever in an position. Just a click. Always something.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I know this may sound dumb but.......is there any other radio control or wi-fi device in the immediate area that may be affecting it? I know that my wi-fi camera was interfering with my IP camera that i located on the front of my garage. Try moving a distance from the house and try it........just a suggestion.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Just got it figured out. I was looking in the wrong place. It was not the receiver that was the issue, it was the 3.5mm plug going into the spider that the receiver plugs into. Probably corrosion or internal damage of some kind. I've made a temporary fix to get me through and after Halloween I'll probably direct wire the receiver to the prop and bypass the try me/step pad plug all together. Here is what I have.

The wireless receiver. Pretty nifty little device that lets you manually activate a prop from a good distance with the push of a button.

Video of it in action...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Good to hear you got it sorted. The reason I asked about the relay connection side is because you said you could hear the relay clicking. That alluded to an issue between there and the prop.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good to hear you got it sorted. The reason I asked about the relay connection side is because you said you could hear the relay clicking. That alluded to an issue between there and the prop.
Yea, I was thinking that too, but when I unhooked the wires coming off the receiver to the prop and touched them together, the prop would activate, meaning the wire was good. Still no idea why it would work fully plugged in by touching the wires, but not from the remote unless only plugged in halfway. Makes no sense, but there you have it. Now that I know there is issue with the try me plug I plan on just bypassing it and hard wiring to the receiver wires.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hmmmm, I just bought this guy from Home Depot and was trying to figure out how to remotely trigger him. Does your remote receiver plug into the base with a mini jack? Mine has a place on the base for a footpad switch...... hoping I can just get a remote and plug the receiver into the mini plugin where the footpad would go.

I'm assuming your remote has a receiver? Where would I find one with a mini plug? (1/8th)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have had pretty good luck this year using harbor Freight Driveway alarms to wireless trigger props. I cit the speaker wire off the alarm and wire it to a plug and then in to the try-me socket. The speaker is a Piezo device and the newer try me pads trigger devices are the same. I even hooked up the try me pad to one of the driveway alarms and it emmitted sound when triggered. I now have the jumping spider,spell speaking witch and Thrashing clown all on different channels.

I also noted last year that with NOTHING hooked up to the spider , last year it would trigger off of the fog machine remote. Weird huh.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmmm, I just bought this guy from Home Depot and was trying to figure out how to remotely trigger him. Does your remote receiver plug into the base with a mini jack? Mine has a place on the base for a footpad switch...... hoping I can just get a remote and plug the receiver into the mini plugin where the footpad would go.

I'm assuming your remote has a receiver? Where would I find one with a mini plug? (1/8th)
Yes, I just plugged into the step pad switch. The remote and receiver come as a pair and have to be attached to a 12v power supply and the prop you want to activate. They wire up with screw terminals. I snipped my jack off of an old power supply. Turns out that either the jack or the try me plug on mine is screwed up so I plan on bypassing the try me plug all together and just connecting right to the wires going to it.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to update and clarify, I did get this working. The problem was with either the plug for the step pad on the jumping spider, or with the jack I was using. Never could narrow down which, so I decided to eliminate both. I resolved the issue by opening up the prop, then cutting the two wires leading to the step pad plug. I then ran a set of wires directly from the receiver module (Wires on COMM and NO) and connected them to the cut wires going to the prop, thus bypassing both the jack and plug and eliminating any issues with either. I fed my wires through the now disconnected plug hole on the prop and tied a loose knot inside to prevent it from pulling out easily. I soldered and taped the splices securely to ensure there would be no issues with shorting. The jumping spider is back to jumping from the remote and ran fine all night on Halloween.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts